#1 QuincyMD

QuincyMD

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 02:18 PM

BBC News
Not sure hoe he can talk for other people and maybe it reflects the poor quality fare that ALW is putting on.
Which way did he go McGill?

#2 dude-1981

dude-1981

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 05:29 PM

I read some of the comments on that article.  I advise you all to not make the same mistake I did.  I do not know where to start.  :blink:
If, for some strange reason you care what I've seen, it's all here:

http://pcchan1981.livejournal.com/

#3 DanielWhit

DanielWhit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2293 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 05:34 PM

Seems theatre has got tons of hidden fees, according to many comments... Seems this industry is being tarred with the airline brush!

Theatre may have extra fees in certain booking situations, but hardly any are hidden

ETA - Oh dear God..

Also if the theatres are to be empty why not use them to screen the games for those of us with no tickets.

I need a drink.

#4 Jan Brock

Jan Brock

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2756 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 06:21 PM

I notice that nowhere at all does he say what he actually wants done about this, but I suppose it would involve some taxpayer's money going into his own capacious pockets via VAT reduction or some such. Odd how organisations like the BBC think that because someone is extremely rich their view are somehow more relevant and carry more weight than normal people's and need to be reported (witness also the fawning over the banal utterances of Bill Gates and Steve Jobs).

#5 igb

igb

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 07:05 PM

The other thing that he conveniently leaves out is the absolute magnitude of the comparison.  I may be wrong, but I would imagine the volume of booking eight months in advance for "commercial" theatre is quite low: Les Mis might be booking through until the heat death of the universe, but most productions outside that very charmed circle don't have booking horizons remotely as long.   10% of what would be expected to be sold out is a lot of tickets unsold; 10% of a handful of seats pre-sold is neither here nor there.

#6 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 07:17 PM

Shall we have a sweepstake on how long we're going to have flops blamed on the Olympics? I say until October 2014  :lol:

#7 DanielWhit

DanielWhit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2293 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 07:29 PM

View Postigb, on 30 December 2011 - 07:05 PM, said:

The other thing that he conveniently leaves out is the absolute magnitude of the comparison.  I may be wrong, but I would imagine the volume of booking eight months in advance for "commercial" theatre is quite low: Les Mis might be booking through until the heat death of the universe, but most productions outside that very charmed circle don't have booking horizons remotely as long.   10% of what would be expected to be sold out is a lot of tickets unsold; 10% of a handful of seats pre-sold is neither here nor there.

I took it to read "advance bookings for the Olympic period are at 10% of a standard look ahead of seven months" rather than "10% of the house is sold". Many shows are booking until October 2012 or longer now (can't think of any musical aside Crazy for You who are not).

#8 igb

igb

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 08:04 PM

View PostDanielWhit, on 30 December 2011 - 07:29 PM, said:

I took it to read "advance bookings for the Olympic period are at 10% of a standard look ahead of seven months" rather than "10% of the house is sold".

So did I.  But the question I'm asking is how many tickets that really is.   How many tickets for August 2011 had been sold by December 2010 (which is presumably the baseline)?   Les Miserables, to take an example, shows full availability for every performance in May (which presumably is not affected by the Olympics).

#9 Mark_21

Mark_21

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 03:51 AM

I read it as bookings are only 10% of what they would normally be for next summer at this time

e.g if this time last year 500,000 tickets for next summer had been booked in advance; this year only 50,000 tickets have been booked in advance for summer 2012.

When it's put like that, it would be quite worrying! I agree lower the prices for that period! As a Londoner, I would certainly take advantage if all shows did similar to Jersey Boys and the open air and have top price seats for 20.12!
So far in the West End and Off-West End: Wicked, Sister Act, Priscilla, The Lion King, An Inspector Calls, La Cage Aux Folles, Legally Blonde, Waiting For Godot, Blood Brothers, Private Lives, Oliver!, Shirley Valentine, Sweet Charity, All my Sons, Hair, Mamma Mia, End of the Rainbow, Love Story, We Will Rock You, The Children's Hour, The Wizard of Oz, Ordinary Lives, Clybourne Park, Betty Blue Eyes, Thrill Me, Shrek The Musical, Kathy Griffin Live at the Palace, Luise Miller, Billy Elliot, Lend Me A Tenor, Much Ado About Nothing, Park Avenue Cat, Ghost The Musical, The Phantom of the Opera, Love Never Dies, Les Miserables, Jersey Boys, Betwixt, Rock of Ages, A Round-Heeled Woman, Crazy For You, Masterclass, Absent Friends, Sex with a Stranger, After The Turn, The Awkward Squad, All New People, Hay Fever, Soul Sister, Bird's of a Feather UK Tour, Steel Magnolias UK Tour, The Duchess of Malfi, The Sunshine Boys, Noises Off, What the Butler Saw, South Downs/The Browning Version, Sweeney Todd, Long Day's Journey into Night, War Horse, One Man, Two Guvnors, Abigail's Party, Matilda, London Road, Jumpy, Looserville The Musical, Scrooge The Musical, 9 to 5 UK Tour, My Fair Lady...

2013: 9 to 5 The Musical (UK Tour), The Rocky Horror Show (UK Tour), Kiss Me Kate, The Book of Mormon, The Bodyguard, Quartermaine's Terms (Understudy Run), The Judas Kiss, The Bodyguard, The Winslow Boy, Top Hat, The Bodyguard, Ghost The Musical (UK Tour), Singin' in the Rain, Merrily We Roll Along, The Bodyguard, A Chorus Line, Passion Play, The Audience, Passion Play, The Bodyguard, Sweet Bird of Youth, The Bodyguard, Once...

#10 Matthew Winn

Matthew Winn

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2898 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 06:26 AM

View PostMark_21, on 31 December 2011 - 03:51 AM, said:

I read it as bookings are only 10% of what they would normally be for next summer at this time

e.g if this time last year 500,000 tickets for next summer had been booked in advance; this year only 50,000 tickets have been booked in advance for summer 2012.

When it's put like that, it would be quite worrying!
I don't think it's particularly worrying. Very few people book theatre tickets that far ahead anyway, plus many people who have booked tickets for the Olympics don't yet know what dates their tickets will be for and so won't be making other commitments that might conflict.
I have always hated eggs. I remember back when I was a sperm I tried to head-butt one. It did not end well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users