#1 The Suburbanite

The Suburbanite

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 766 posts
  • Interests:Yes, indeed

Posted 03 January 2012 - 11:36 AM

I saw promo stuff for this production on londontheatre.co.uk and wondered if anyone knows this venue - I've never been before.
Táim ag éalú ar ais

#2 fringefan

fringefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 12:30 PM

If it's the venue also (or formerly?) known as the Chelsea Centre Theatre, I have, but some years ago.  I saw quite a good play by Amy Rosenthal (daughter of Maureen Lipman and Jack Rosenthal) and would have gone to anything more by her on the strength of it but don't know what she's been up to since.

#3 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5142 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 03:20 PM

She updated The Barmitzva Boy but I didn't catch that.

#4 The Suburbanite

The Suburbanite

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 766 posts
  • Interests:Yes, indeed

Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:13 AM

Went to see Fatal Excuses here last night and am sorry to say I left at the interval, so bad was the first act. Actually, it started promisingly with some nice, simple and effective physical work, of which there was some more later in the act. But it was dragged down badly by a number of things: a total lack of atmosphere, thumpingly loud slushy music, flavourless acting, dreary dialogue - on the subject of which, one further thing that astonished me: the writer/director has lifted, almost verbatim, sections of Rosemary's Baby. A couple of set-ups and a number of dialogue exchanges are taken wholesale. I resorted to squinting at my programme (absurdly overpriced at £3 for what it was) to check I hadn't missed that this was some bizarre kind of adaptation, but it wasn't. My jaw sagged lower by degrees as piece after piece of Rosemary's Baby were offered up to us. I looked around at the rest of the audience but no-one else seemed to be reacting.

No doubt it's intended as a 'homage'. Anyway, having ticked Chelsea Theatre off my list I'll be very happy to never venture back there again. I don't know that area very well and I don't really want to, it's horrible. The staff in the theatre were very friendly and helpful. The performing space is a standard black box studio, good size and probably very flexible.
Táim ag éalú ar ais

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users