#1 Reich

Reich

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1027 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 09:30 AM

Below is the email I got.

It’s that time of the year –the football season is about to begin again and the Landor season is about to begin again too! We’ve been quite busy – mostly in the background, so you won’t see much difference, but trust me things are changing – and all for the better!

One of the most exciting events that has happened this year is that the Landor was honoured with its very first award from WhatsOnStage.com - ‘Best Off-West End Production’ for our critically acclaimed production of “I Love You Because”! A prestigious award voted for by the theatre-going public…how about that!!

We’ve also been busy planning the 2008/9 season - and what a season it will be! We will be premiering a brand new UK musical, Alvaro’s Balcony, as well as a scintillating new revue based on the works of Charles Strouse, Broadway composer of Annie, Applause & Bye Bye Birdie.  And now for the icing on the cake…to celebrate our 15th anniversary next year, we will be presenting Sondheim’s magical Into The Woods brought to you by the team behind our acclaimed production of Follies in 2006.

To do all this and plan for the Landor’s future we really need your help and so we are forming a Friends Club. As a member of the Friends Club we’ll be sending you email newsletters to bring you up to date with your favourite performers and give you priority booking for all our in-house productions, plus 2 tickets for the price of one for at least one in-house production, and more, depending on the Friends level you choose.

Click on the link below to find out all about the Friends Club. Why not take advantage of this new opportunity? We are really looking forward to welcoming you as a new Friend!

http://fp.morden.plus.com/Friends%20Info.htm

Broadway has been very good to me. But then, I've been very good to broadway.

#2 Guest_Seamus_*

Guest_Seamus_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 June 2010 - 09:44 AM

The Landor seems to have gone off the map of late. What happened to their ambitious Musicals? I loved their Little Shop of Horrors, Follies, Into the Woods, and mostly The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas. The Union Theatre has nicked their spotlight.

#3 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 June 2010 - 10:40 AM

They've just announced Smokey Joe's Cafe.

Have to say I think they should get back to musicals as this is obviously what they do best, after seeing BENT and VINCENT RIVER which I thought were both mediocre productions.

Hopefully they'll sort themselves out- especially since the pub has had a lovely refurb and the pub food is delicious!

#4 Guest_Carbucketty_*

Guest_Carbucketty_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 September 2010 - 11:45 PM

Closer Than Ever at The Landor. Whatsonstage 4 star review

The Landor Theatre triumphs once again with an exceptional piece of musical theatre. The production values are splendid as usual – Jason Denvir's simple construction of steps and platforms with long fringe curtains to add a glamour. Add to this the appearance of the performers who are all of first class West End calibre and are costumed with style and elegance by Jean Gray.

The first number is about opening doors to life and this is what the show is all about, blending the stimulating poetry of Richard Maltby, Jr with the music of David Shire. Totally opposite to the Landor’s last production of Smokey Joe’s Cafe, these are not songs to make you tap your feet or want to join in. But here you are seduced into listening intently, paying close attention and recognising the psychological content.

The lives we are exposed to are those of middle class, middle aged Americans. They sing of love the second time around, the problems of combining work with domesticity of despair after the death of a loved one.

Clare Burt sings of being interviewed by a twenty something year old with a high prestige job and huge salary – and the patronising attitude the girl displays to a woman of 49 – probably without realising that it is through the efforts of feminist women like her that she has gained her own advantages and privileges. Michael Cahill sings about being foolishly in love “What am I doing”, Ria Jones and Glyn Kerslake do a comedy number “You wanna be my friend?” and there is a wonderful four handed spoof on keeping fit where they all demonstrate the joys and terrors of the gymnasium. One of the most amusing works, “Miss Byrd,” performed with enormous humour and sense of fun by Ria Jones concerns a demure young woman with a secret, riotous sex life

These songs are performed with wit and style by the company of four, with glorious harmonies by musical director David Randall. This is sophisticated comedy of which we see very little these days - sadly. It is expertly directed by Robert McWhir and choreographed by Matthew Gould.

- Aline Waites

#5 Guest_Guest_yellowstone43_*_*

Guest_Guest_yellowstone43_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 September 2010 - 07:06 AM

Closer Than Ever has had rave reviews..
go see it as it really is supurb.....

**** 4 stars
"A hidden gem of a production with a timeless libretto and a stellar
cast demonstrating some quintessential acting-through-song to
perfection."

www.fringereview.co.uk