• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#51 Linklater

Linklater

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 05:05 PM

And your original quote was some knowledge about how audiences  don't normally laugh - but on the occasion you were there - they did. And that was an apparent rarity.  Only a cast member, or someone who works at the theatre, could have told you that.

#52 Bambodoy

Bambodoy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 08:16 PM

A cheerful dark comedy, full of hilarious scenes of social embarrassment. Elizabeth Berrington was wonderfully amusing. Although we had booked seats up with the Gods at the Balcony, upon arrival we were informed that we had been upgraded. We ended up watching the play from the fifth row. Can't complain, really.
2011-2012 THEATRE

WEST END: End of the Rainbow (Trafalgar Studios), Legally Blonde (Savoy Theatre), Love Never Dies (Adelphi Theatre), Children's Hour (Comedy Theatre), Top Girls (Trafalgar Studios), Richard III (Old Vic), The Tempest (Theatre Royal Haymarket), The Faith Machine (Royal Court), We Will Rock You (Dominion Theatre), The Kitchen (National Theatre), War Horse (New London Theatre), Death and the Maiden (Harold Pinter Theatre), Jumpy (Royal Court), 13 (National Theatre), Collaborators (National Theatre), Jerusalem (Apollo Theatre), Driving Miss Daisy (Wyndham's Theatre), Ghost (Piccadilly Theatre), Grief (National Theatre), The Comedy of Errors (National Theatre), Travelling Light (National Theatre), She Stoops to Conquer (National Theatre), In Basildon (Royal Court), Absent Friends (Harold Pinter Theatre), Matilda the Musical (Cambridge Theatre), Gross und Klein (Barbican), One Man Two Guvnors (Theatre Royal Haymarket), Moon on a Rainbow Shawl (National Theatre), Belong (Royal Court), Misterman (National Theatre), Detroit (National Theatre), The Last of the Haussmans (National Theatre), The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time (National Theatre).

OFF-WEST END: Becky Shaw (Almeida Theatre), Tiger Country (Hampstead Theatre), Small Hours (Hampstead Theatre), My City (Almeida Theatre), Anna Christie (Donmar Warehouse), Inadmissible Evidence (Donmar Warehouse), Reasons to be Pretty (Almeida Theatre), The Kitchen Sink (Bush Theatre), Stones in his Pockets (Tricycle), Hamlet (Young Vic), Our New Girl (Bush Theatre), Richard II (Donmar Warehouse), The Recruiting Officer (Donmar Warehouse), Bingo (Young Vic), Black T-Shirt Collection (National Theatre), Love Love Love (Royal Court), Filumena (Almeida Theatre), Making Noise Quietly (Donmar Warehouse), Children's Children (Almeida Theatre), The Physicists (Donmar Warehouse), Birthday (Royal Court).

UPCOMING: London Road (National Theatre), The Doctor's Dilemma (National Theatre), The Count of Monte Cristo (National Theatre).

Follow me on Twitter: @Bambodoy

#53 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 06:59 PM

This is my new favourite Alan Ayckbourn play - not a long list, admittedly.  Great production, great cast, with Katherine Parkinson standing out for me.  Very funny and very true.

The fifteen pound day seat put me in the front row, best seat in the house for this one.
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

#54 exuberantlyblue

exuberantlyblue

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 11:50 PM

ATG sent me an email offer for this today - best available for 15 - so I figured I'd go ahead and see it. When I booked in mid-afternoon, almost half of the stalls were available. Not such a good sign...

It wasn't a bad play. It was well-acted - Elizabeth Berrington (Marge) and Katherine Parkinson (Di) particularly impressed me.

But the theatre was about a third empty, and the play itself was snail slow. This was an artistic choice, I'm sure - they definitely used silence as another character. (A character that got far far more time than Kara Tointon's Evelyn!) But another tool they used was the audible ticking of a clock, and the problem with that was it was too effective: not only did it show the crawling awkwardness of the tea party, but it also felt like my life (or at least my evening) was slowly draining away with every too-loud click of the second hand.

Again, I feel bad criticising the play because I think it may be at least partly my own taste, not anything at fault with the play itself. It reminded me a lot of the way I felt during Bingo - lovely acting, real thought going into the themes of the play, but just not really touching me. Two hours feeling like five isn't something of which I'm particularly fond.

Some people around me seemed to really love it, and others seemed to be horrifically bored. It may just be one of those plays where YMMV...

(For what it's worth, at 15 I'm mildly glad I went. It's not a sad waste of an evening, it's just not a particularly wonderful one either.)

#55 fringefan

fringefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 785 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 04:47 AM

I'm still hoping to see this and ATG also e-mailed me the 15 offer yesterday.  There were supposed to be 50 seats at this price every weekday until the end of the run (plus 50 at 30 and 50 at 45).

Well, either they never existed or every single one had been snapped up within hours, which seems unlikely - I mean that there literally wasn't even a single seat left for any date, but I searched them all, painstakingly, and couldn't find any.  So I am very suspicious and not willing to pay more, since day seats from the theatre itself and from the TKTS booth cost less than 30.

Maybe I should start a thread about ATG's mysterious offers, as I receive these for other plays/venues, too, and they say things like "half-price seats at all performances" but again, no sign of any on the system...

#56 smithers

smithers

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Interests:Theatre, film, music, politics

Posted 13 March 2012 - 07:48 AM

I got that email yesterday too and managed to book 3 seats at 15, Stalls Row H. There was plenty of choice, maybe all the tickets did get snapped up quickly?

#57 Latecomer

Latecomer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1668 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 08:02 AM

I booked 2 of the 15 seats, row H for matinee on Wed so they did exist! Was going to day ticket so very pleased to have nabbed them at the same price! :)

#58 JonnyBoy

JonnyBoy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 09:38 AM

I went on an hour after the email was sent and could only get 30 pound seats.  I can't believe the 15 pound ones went that fast on my chosen dates.  I just assumed it was the first 50 seats throughout the whole run that could be bought at 15 pounds.

#59 exuberantlyblue

exuberantlyblue

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:31 AM

View PostJonnyBoy, on 13 March 2012 - 09:38 AM, said:

I went on an hour after the email was sent and could only get 30 pound seats.I can't believe the 15 pound ones went that fast on my chosen dates.I just assumed it was the first 50 seats throughout the whole run that could be bought at 15 pounds.

I'm almost positive it was only 50 seats for the whole run, not 50 seats every day.

#60 dude-1981

dude-1981

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 01:31 PM

Guys, I've just noticed that Linklater has only ever posted on this one thread, set up their account the day after this thread started and jumps quite quickly on people who are negative about the show or offers corrections or clarafication.  In my opinion, they are a PR for the show or similar and I would like to see their account suspended, but I am happy to be wrong.  I have been wrong before: Autumn 1997, I recall it very clearly.
If, for some strange reason you care what I've seen, it's all here:

http://pcchan1981.livejournal.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users