987 replies to this topic

#1 peggy sue

peggy sue

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 02:13 PM

I have just read in todays paper that Andrew Lloyd Webber has signed with ITV to find a leading man to star in Jesus Christ Superstar. I do hope this happens as this show is one of my all time favourites. Steve Balsamo is also on board whom I think has a fantastic voice and would make an ideal judge/mentor. Any thoughts of who else could be on the panel? Am so looking forward to this happening.

#2 Steffi

Steffi

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  • Interests:Find me on twitter @Steffi_G

Posted 06 January 2012 - 02:17 PM

I'm excited about a JCS revival but I hate the idea of casting Jesus and Judas through a tv show.

#3 Azincat

Azincat

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 03:39 PM

You mean this article?

http://www.thesun.co...-Superstar.html

I like JCS but a few things about these plans (if true) make me nervous.  I would prefer a theatre-based revival to an arena tour.  I'm not sure about letting ITV produce the programme - they didn't do a great job with Grease is the Word.  And, although I enjoyed the BBC TV casting programmes, I think the format is due a few years rest before being used again.  So I'm ambivalent at the moment!

#4 johartuk

johartuk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 04:58 PM

View PostAzincat, on 06 January 2012 - 03:39 PM, said:

You mean this article?

http://www.thesun.co...-Superstar.html

I like JCS but a few things about these plans (if true) make me nervous.  I would prefer a theatre-based revival to an arena tour.  I'm not sure about letting ITV produce the programme - they didn't do a great job with Grease is the Word.  And, although I enjoyed the BBC TV casting programmes, I think the format is due a few years rest before being used again.  So I'm ambivalent at the moment!

I agree with the above.

The issue of using the TV casting method aside, I think there are just two many potential pitfalls:-

1.  Will the host/hostess tell contestants "You could be Jesus", "You're not Jesus" and (to the eventual winner) "You are Jesus"?

2.  What item of colour coded clothing will the would-be Messiahs wear?  And what will the eliminated ones have to remove/give to the surviving contestants or ALW?

3.  What will the farewell song be...and will we see the booted-off Jesus being tied to a cross (I can't see Elf & Safety allowing the use of nails :lol: ) and sailing through the air (a la the booted-off Dorothies in Over The Rainbow)?

4.  Will the host/hostess make God jokes about ALW?:D

5.  Will the would-be Jesuses have nicknames - 'Shelf Stacker Jesus', 'Stage School Jesus', 'Carpenter Jesus' (if there is a carpenter amongst the auditionees, he'll be a shoo-in for the final 12 :D ) , 'Second Chance (or should that be 'Second Coming') Jesus'...who is brought in to replace 'Jumping Jesus' (who had to drop out at the last minute due to being selected to represent Team GB at the Olympics in High Jumping), 'Former TV Casting Show Contestant Jesus'...etc?:lol:

Also, if the Grease panel is anything to go by, I dread to think who we'll end up with on the JCS panel.  Probably Keith Lemon, Peter Andre, this year's Dancing On Ice winner and Sinitta!:rolleyes:

#5 Priscilla's heel

Priscilla's heel

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 05:52 PM

I love the show JCS and think this would be great publicity for the revival of the show. In answer to the above poster, I don't think any of that will happen as firstly they are all related to the BBC format and also it's just not appropriate, which I think they will realise. I'd like to see possibly other performers (maybe even current/recent West End stars) on the judging panel.

#6 Cactus

Cactus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 06:03 PM

It really annoys me that one of the demands for anyone 'auditioning' for the parts through shows like this include being willing to put themselves into the public spotlight on a national TV programme, something that shouldn't usually be part of an audition process or a stage actor's career - and would some who are already rather 'established' in the West End really be willing do anything like this anyway? I hope not. So that cancels them out for quite demanding and interesting roles like Jesus and Judas (if it's really going to be about both parts) already.

#7 johartuk

johartuk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 06:21 PM

View PostPriscilla, on 06 January 2012 - 05:52 PM, said:

I love the show JCS and think this would be great publicity for the revival of the show. In answer to the above poster, I don't think any of that will happen as firstly they are all related to the BBC format and also it's just not appropriate, which I think they will realise. I'd like to see possibly other performers (maybe even current/recent West End stars) on the judging panel.

In fairness, it was supposed to be a humerous post (the clue was in the use of smilies :D ) and it's blindingly obvious that it would be inapproapriate for them to do the things I listed.  Which is why they're going to have to tread carefully if this casting show goes ahead.  They're also going to have to set a lower age limit of at least 25 as the role requires performing experience and physical and emotional maturity.  Plus, Jesus is 33, so it would be odd casting to have an 18 year old playing the role.

#8 djp

djp

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 07:26 PM

View PostCactus, on 06 January 2012 - 06:03 PM, said:

It really annoys me that one of the demands for anyone 'auditioning' for the parts through shows like this include being willing to put themselves into the public spotlight on a national TV programme, something that shouldn't usually be part of an audition process or a stage actor's career - and would some who are already rather 'established' in the West End really be willing do anything like this anyway? I hope not. So that cancels them out for quite demanding and interesting roles like Jesus and Judas (if it's really going to be about both parts) already.

Given the success of the ALW shows in showcasing and finding  some of the best people around,  the people seen even briefly  who were grabbed for other jobs, and their success since,  I would imagine people would apply. The question may be more who is allowed to apply,  with what on their CV. and does working for ALW previously mean you will vanish at some stage from the selection process or win. The dangerous bit, judging from past series,  is what you look like on TV, whether you get the fatal  Bojangles or something terribly inappropriate  to sing  and if you fit the ALW job description brilliantly-  but he actually wants something else. There's also a chance   the public will  decide to vote for a Subo story regardless, or the one who looks like the last  Jesus or Judas they saw on TV.

#9 RH1234

RH1234

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 10:56 PM

ITV has said the article is mere 'speculation', so I wouldn't take this as definitely happening.

#10 mjr

mjr

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3300 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 11:18 PM

I would rather the programe be produced by the BBC. I do hope ALW puts his foot down and still has a live orchestra. Things like these really do take programes to another level, well at least in my opinion. Also a bit of a shame Graham Norton will obviously not be hosting if it is on ITV. I did like the fun he had with ALW!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users