987 replies to this topic

#11 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1401 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 12:59 AM

I'd watch it just for the 'You could be Jesus!' or 'You're not Jesus!' Interesting that it's an arena tour rather than a new revival, I know Broadway getting a new revival of JCSS which is a transfer from Stratford Shakespeare Festival but ALW is not involved in that in a producing capacity, he isn't even involved in Evita which opens in March although that is essentially a transfer of the 2006 revival with small changes.

#12 RH1234

RH1234

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 02:46 PM

And it's also strange given that the production going to Broadway is hoping to end up transferring to London.

#13 cat123

cat123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3357 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 08:50 AM

Love this show, wary of that article.

Out of interest, which established MT performers would you cast in the roles if you could?

#14 Danube

Danube

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 10:07 AM

Watching the Story of Musicals programme on BBC4 earlier this week, it seems that the Lord has not been shy of talking about casting in the media long before the days of casting tv shows.  Whether or not there are any plans to have a casting show on ITV, the suggestion that there may be was enough to get the show talked about in the tabloid press.  

I seem to recall ALW claiming he'd had enough of the BBC and their restrictions on him promoting his shows, only for him to end up back there again.  I took that to be a bargaining cry, and maybe this is again.  Or perhaps he really will go to ITV if he wants to cast via tv.   I would definitely miss Graham Norton, as he has a really good way with ALW, as well as with the contestants.  He can be fun, without being mean.

Other than that, I don't see why it couldn't work on ITV.  It's all up to whoever is producing the show to give it the right production values.  Just because ITV made a mess of Grease is the Word, doesn't mean they can't have learned from it and do something better next time. My main hope is that if there is another one of these shows, whatever the channel, that we get some more guest appearances and performances from musical theatre performers.

If they are going to do an arena tour, it places a different emphasis on who they cast.  Presumably there won't be "eight shows a week", and most of the audience will be watching on big screens.

#15 musicalmadness

musicalmadness

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 06:03 PM

If it does happen on ITV - I personally think Philip Schofield would be the perfect host!
Somebody crowd me with love, Somebody force me to care,
Somebody make me come through, I'll always be there, As frightened as you, of Being Alive.

#16 DanielWhit

DanielWhit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2293 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 02:29 PM

If Schofield hosts it - we'll be sure of many loosely tied in Joseph gags.

However - based solely upon Grease Is The Word, I hope ALW doesn't seriously take "The Hunt for Jesus" (or whatever title they choose that the church brigade will take offence at which only boosts interest)  to ITV. The Beeb seem to know how to do this type of show, whereas ITV just seemed to have no idea.

I take it nothing confirmed has emerged as to when the arena tour is meant to happen? I'm still hoping for it to turn out to be a standard theatre production, can't personally imagine JCS as an arena piece.

#17 mjr

mjr

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3330 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 12:36 AM

View PostDanielWhit, on 09 January 2012 - 02:29 PM, said:

If Schofield hosts it - we'll be sure of many loosely tied in Joseph gags.

However - based solely upon Grease Is The Word, I hope ALW doesn't seriously take "The Hunt for Jesus" (or whatever title they choose that the church brigade will take offence at which only boosts interest)  to ITV. The Beeb seem to know how to do this type of show, whereas ITV just seemed to have no idea.

I take it nothing confirmed has emerged as to when the arena tour is meant to happen? I'm still hoping for it to turn out to be a standard theatre production, can't personally imagine JCS as an arena piece.

ALW has talked about the arena tour for a very long time, however i assumed when this programe came into conversation, I assumed it would have been for the lead in the broadway transfer to London!

#18 snowy01

snowy01

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 08:28 PM

all interesting comments it will be interesting to see who they will put on the panel hopefully it will be people in the business and know what they are talking about not just some celebrity

#19 Annasette

Annasette

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 09:03 PM

I do actually think that this is more than just idle speculation. But whether the article had all it's facts straight is another thing entirely. With the Broadway show potentially coming back again to the West End as well, and the film theoretically in development (albeit unlikely connection), who knows what is really in the mix?

But the big disadvantage to casting JCS on television was always that Jesus and Judas are the toughest roles in musical theatre. Too many have been hospitalised already. And it would be hugely irresponsible to expect someone inappropriate and unprepared to sing in a standard production. The arena tour would get around that, with only a few performances. And it would still potentially promote a standard return to the West End, be it with or without reality show cast peoples, depending on the result.

I could live with ITV doing the casting show, though (they have surely learned a few lessons albeit I think it is too soon for another regardless), but I would also regret the loss of Graham Norton. He really is excellent! But someone's suggestion of Philip Schofield, above, wouldn't be that surprising as an alternative. How likely is it, though, that someone with the kind of voice that will be needed, would be found without the benefit of having heard them sing the actual songs from the musical? With the other reality cast shows it didn't matter so much, but some of the actual songs from JCS are just in a completely different ball park. If fantastic professional performers could be persuaded to audition publicly, though, with direct comparison of the critical pieces, it could be amazing to see. But I can't see that happening, and JCS certainly isn't one for an open audition for either kids or the inexperienced.

But I would love to see Steve Balsamo play Jesus again. And when that article referred to him being on board already, the assumption was that he would be on the panel. That wouldn't be inappropriate, and I would like to see him gettimg that television recognition, but what isn't necessarily true. Even if he was on the panel, as very appropriate, it wouldn't preclude his playing Jesus as well. It isn't impossible that the casting isn't going to be for Jesus at all, but for Judas.

#20 Gregor

Gregor

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 12:51 AM

And here we go!

"ITV1 and Andrew Lloyd Webber today announce 'Superstar'- a brand new show that will give the British public the chance to choose the country's next major rock star.

The winner's life-changing prize will be the leading role in a new UK arena tour of Tim Rice's and Andrew Lloyd Webber legendary rock opera Jesus Christ Superstar which will open at London's O2 arena."

http://www.itv.com/p...ar/default.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users