DanielWhit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2293 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 01:14 AM

I'll be the first to say it:

Oh, Christ!

However -  on a more serious point, they are going to struggle to get it into the schedules neatly. Thinking about it, the most obvious gap is to try to squeeze it between Britain's Got Talent and the Olympics (as ratings would plummet I presume during the Olympic fortnight).

That leaves them starting on 2nd/3rd June - presumably the BGT final will be on the 2nd so they could do a launch show before and a follow up on the 3rd, followed by either a second week of auditions/Jesus School on the 10th/11th or starting the live shows.

I am guessing they will do a Saturday main show and a Sunday results show (ala X Factor). Then they would finish on the weeknd of 21st/22nd July, in time for the Olympics.

To compare - all the BBC shows and Grease Is The Word have had a 10 week run (2 weeks auditions, 8 weeks live shows). They could still follow this but they would risk having a massive drop in the final two weeks if they run it later, or putting pressure onto the schedules if they start it earlier when BGT would still be running.

#22 simon from oxford

simon from oxford

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 01:25 AM

I am not sure they will go for a 2 shows a week format - more likely to restrict it to a single night - show from 7 to 9 with results at 10 (that sort of thing)

It won't be the same sort of cash cow that X Factor is

And they are unlikely to film the results on Saturday for broadcast on Sunday (which, as we have seen with SCD and the other BBC casting shows, is rather laughable)

#23 DanielWhit

DanielWhit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2293 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 01:28 AM

True, but ITV like to pad things out to create funds as much as possible (hardly surprising considering they are a commercial entity). Wonder what the inevitable ITV2 spinoff will be called!

#24 Danube

Danube

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 08:17 AM

I think they'll only have it on one night.  Dancing on Ice is on Sunday nights only, and last year's Popstar to Opera star was Sunday nights too, so there are no hard and fast rules.  With Dancing on Ice, the celebs and Torville and Dean are busy enough preparing for the next week's show to waste a day by spreading the shows over two days.  I don't know if ALW will have similar views.  If they were to have the show on a Sunday evening, they'd have a much better chance of getting some performances and involvement of our existing musical theatre stars.

#25 Danube

Danube

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 07:55 PM

I've just watched back ALW's interview from today's This Morning.  I say all of the following knowing that Andrew knows how to tease the media for maximum press, so I'm not taking everything at absolute face value.

He said they are looking to cast Jesus, but may well also find a Judas, so that would mean they haven't cast that part, or at least don't have a big announcement for Judas to make anytime soon.

He emphasised that it's a big sing, and that he's looking for a rock star, a genuine "rock tenor", and we've to think along the lines of Freddy Mercury.  He wants a live rock band in the studio each week, and they have to be able to sing live, not like someone he saw miming at the O2 recently.  He was really pushing the rock/arena side of things, saying that they made the album free from theatrical convensions, and that in 1970 there were three stadia versions in America and so on.

The winner will be on stage along side other big stars.  He stopped short of saying "all star cast", but he suggested there would be some big names making up the rest of the cast, and that he has someone in mind to play Mary Magdalene.

I was trying to keep an eye on the chemistry between Andrew and Phillip Schoffield (who was doing the interview), as it has been suggested he might host.   They gave nothing away, except they clearly still have a good relationship, which isn't surprising.  What was surprising was that when showing the clips of Andrew's previous casting successes, they showed all of the winners of the BBC show, except Lee.  They put a bit of Phil singing Joseph in there instead.  Presumably this was a bit of a This Morning gag, and nothing to do with the Lord himself.  I still felt a bit sorry for Lee.

Editing to at another thing, which is probably quite important.  He said that guy who had worked with him on the shows at the BBC was now at ITV, so he was still working with him.  He didn't see it as a move from the BBC to ITV, as he's not a TV man.

#26 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3371 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 08:09 PM

I anyone excited by the prospect of this arena concert? If it was a revival in a theatre I'd go but this doesn't interest me. I'm wondering if there is that much of a market for this

And he may have a big name in mind for Mary, but depends if that name wants to do it, after all it's not that big of a role

#27 Danube

Danube

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 08:58 PM

It sounds as if Andrew is pitching the arena tour at people who might not normally bother with the theatre and he was selling it as a non-traditional theatrical show, so I'm not sure if the opinions of people on a website like this one are particularly relevant.  

I've no firm view either way.  Once I've seen casting, and the dates and ticket prices, not to mention the hype of the show, I can decide if it's worth it for me.  I'm sure there will be an audience.

This will be different from previous shows in that it's not going to stay in London.  It's always been a bit of a flaw in the format that it's beamed to the whole nation, but only those living in the South-East, or planning holidays, get to see the end product.   The nature of arena tours means they can get the show out of London and seen by a large audience in a short space of time and before the hype wears off.

#28 drury

drury

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 09:14 PM

JCS is going to tour arenas. Does anyone know how will it be staged?

#29 Annasette

Annasette

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 10:01 PM

I understand wanting to do the arena thing. And I know it has been mooted for ages and ages. But, in truth, I think JCS is much better suited to a more intimate space.

And arena shows don't always really work that well in my experience, even when there is no necessity to try to generate emotion. It's only the likes of Queen and Freddie Mercury who really sussed out how to make them work. How fantastic it would have been to hear Freddie Mercury actually singing it himself! I wonder what he would have made of it? I wonder whether they will get any actual "names" sticking their heads up over the parapet this time?

#30 Priscilla's heel

Priscilla's heel

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 10:07 AM

I'm very excited that this has been confirmed, I love the soundtrack to JCS. They are big rock-opera songs so it could work well in an arena - possibly in the round, which makes more seats a better view perhaps?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users