987 replies to this topic

#201 ptwest

ptwest

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 02:30 PM

I think I might give this a miss, or at least wait and see what sort of production it is.
JCS is one of my favourite musicals of all time and the production at the Lyceum in my opinion got it so right - stripped down, brutal, dark coupled with outstanding performances lead by Steve Balsamo. I have a feeling this one might be a bit too "showy" for my liking.

#202 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1221 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 03:17 PM

Yes the Lyceum production was superb and Steve Balsamo was awesome. We shall just have to live with the memory.

#203 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3373 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 03:24 PM

Agreed, loved that production. This could be an interesting one. It seems it's target audience, theatre fans, are put off by the casting and idea of a concert. Will the names audience be interested in a musical?

Also I guess Moyals wont be able go talk about it on his radio show as that is bbc and I doubt they would want their rivals getting free publicity. Te casting, plus the arena idea (a pet project for webber for a while now) plus itv adds up to cheap and tacky to me.

#204 chinatoy

chinatoy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 03:43 PM

I bought tickets in the pre sale, simply because I loved the film, have never seen the muscial and would love to do so irrespective of the cast. An awful lot of people buy tickets because they want to see a show and not for the cast. Also, there is a TV series to come and ALW has successfully hooked customers into buying tickets for his shows off the back of the reality TV series in hte past..........arguably more successfully with the Maria & Joseph shows than since though.

On the other hand he had to rope in Michael Crawford as the Wizard after the Dorothy show didn't he? And Rowan Atkinson for Oliver?  I am surprised by the complete lack of MT background amongst the leads tbh. Is it a deliberate decision to avoid all trained MT artists? It is looking that way.

It has always struck me that it was odd that he didn't do a search for a Judas instead with Steve Balsamo cast as Jesus. That would surely rake it in. Although perhaps Steve wouldn't have been up for it. Who knows? All very intriguing.

Judging by the 95% negative reaction online today, ALW may be a little worried.

#205 Annasette

Annasette

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 04:11 PM

Where did the specification that all the finalists are under 26 come from? That would be appallingly inappropriate! What are they thinking of?

I was quite keen on the idea on the prospect of seeing Rob Fowler, from the German (or was it Austrian) tour, try for this, although he must be at the older end of competitors (don't know how old he actually is). But the under 26 thing means that he (who is amazing) has obviously been knocked without even having had a chance to be heard! That means that the selection has been deliberately skewed to youth for altogether wrong reasons. And if the oldest is only 26, then lord knows how old the youngest is? To have some 17 year old kid play Jesus in this context would be so wrong on so many counts.

#206 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3373 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 04:12 PM

The tv casting has not been a guarantee of a hit lately. Oz didn't sell out even with a talent show and Crawford, Oliver sold on Rowan Atkinson as tickets were on sale and hard to come by long before the end of the tv series. Once he left tickets got easier to get and got discounted

Not sure on this one, people don't seem to buy into the end product as much, and just use the tv show as a Saturday nights entertainment, the same can be said of xfactor and the like. Real successes from these shows are harder to come by

#207 Zippy

Zippy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 04:39 PM

Will be giving this a wide miss. Partly due to the casting which is bizarre (especially with the casting of a radio DJ with no musical theatre training in a lead role) and also it's too expensive. Also the whole TV casting thing I find cheap and tacky.
Would much rather spend my money on watching trained musical theatre performers on stage, not a radio DJ.

#208 peggy sue

peggy sue

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 04:49 PM

I agree with privious posters about the casting of this show. I was so looking forward to seeing the show as it's one of my favourites but after todays casting news I definately won't be going. I too would prefer to see talented musical theatre performers rather than so called 'celebrities'. Will be saving my money by not going to see this one. Shame on you ALW!

#209 ToadWales

ToadWales

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 04:54 PM

Interesting casting today - would never have predicted that.

How do you access the presale that some previous posters have talked about?

#210 chinatoy

chinatoy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 05:59 PM

You have to have the email that has been sent to RUG members.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users