987 replies to this topic

#31 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3361 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 11:39 AM

I wonder if the star being considered is Nicole from Pussycat Dolls, she has the look and does seem to be his girl of the moment

#32 drury

drury

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 12:06 PM

Whilst liking the TV programmes, I am a little sceptical about the casting of a musicaltheatre performer on this type of programme. It's possible that ALW just lovesthe format and enjoys putting on the show. But afterwards? There's just thisfalse premise about the whole thing.  Yes,lots of rejects got their big chance. Some of the winners may have made a nichecareer. However, ALW has never cast the winners again. Despite being heralded as future stars of the WE, none of them have got roles since good enough to be lighting up the West End stage in a big way and wowing audiences.

#33 simon from oxford

simon from oxford

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 12:24 PM

View Postdrury, on 19 January 2012 - 12:06 PM, said:

Whilst liking the TV programmes, I am a little sceptical about the casting of a musicaltheatre performer on this type of programme. It's possible that ALW just lovesthe format and enjoys putting on the show. But afterwards? There's just thisfalse premise about the whole thing.  Yes,lots of rejects got their big chance. Some of the winners may have made a nichecareer. However, ALW has never cast the winners again. Despite being heralded as future stars of the WE, none of them have got roles since good enough to be lighting up the West End stage in a big way and wowing audiences.

ALW may not have cast them again - but many contestants have gone on to do very good work in the West End and on tour.

I am not a fan of Lee Mead - but he has taken a good number of lead roles since leaving Joseph.  Rachel Tucker may not have won - but she is wowing people in Wicked and she may not have got that chance without the TV exposure.  

Plus the audience demographics have changed - encouraging many people to experience live theatre for the first time.

#34 johartuk

johartuk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 12:40 PM

Actually, the programmes have a good track record of finding viable West End performers.  The argument that ALW hasn't subsequently cast the winners in anything else overlooks the fact that they have worked since for other West End bods and in other areas of the entertainment industry (e.g. music/recording and TV).  No doubt if the winners had been cast by ALW again, there would have been people moaning that they aren't viable WE leads because they only seem to be able to get work with ALW!:rolleyes:

Given that these people are still working 4, 5 and 6 years down the line, I'd say the Casting Shows haven't done too badly.  Especially when you compare them to contestants on shows like the X-Factor, where many contestants (including some winners) seem to disappear very quickly.

#35 sandeman

sandeman

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • Interests:Worked in professional theatre for over 20 years.

Posted 19 January 2012 - 12:59 PM

ALW has approached Nicole Scherzinger to be a judge on his ITV search for Jesus Christ Superstar.

Steve Balsamo, who starred in the West End production of Jesus  Christ Superstar in the 90ís has already been confirmed as a judge, and  Lord Lloyd Webber has met with Nicole in London several times to discuss  the possibility of her joining the panel.

It's believed that Lloyd Webber has already cast Nicole as Mary Magdalene in the film adaptation of the show.

#36 potomusicalfan

potomusicalfan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 01:42 PM

I agree with what johartuk said .... if ALW cast them again, people would moan about the fact that it is only ALW and ALW alone that is hiring them. I disagree with what you said about the contestants not having major roles.

Barring all the winners,

From the Maria show

Siobhan Dillon who came third is now the lead in Ghost! the musical, she was previously Sandy in Grease, Vivienne in Legally Blonde and Sally Bowles in the Cabaret Tour and even recorded an album

Helena Blackman who came second, originated a role in a UK premiere of a Sondheim musical (Saturday Night), and recorded a Rodgers and Hammerstein album, and did some other shows as well, including recording tracks for several albums.

Aoife Mulholland who came third  played Roxie in Chicago, Maria in Sound Of Music and originated the role of Brooke in the London cast of Legally Blonde, did solo concerts in Ireland and took part in ALW concerts, and released an album.

From I'd Do Anything

Samantha Barks who came third played Epoinine in Les Mis for a year, and also appeared at the O2 playing the role for the 25th anniversary concert, and it was filmed and is available on DVD, she also played Sally Bowles in Cabaret and is currently playing Nancy in the Oliver Tour

Rachel Tucker who came fourth played Meat in We Will Rock You, and she then took over the role of Elphaba in Wicked which she's been playing for the last two years, did tons of TV performances, (Dancing on Ice, etc) and has sort of become associated with the role now.

Niamh Perry - Appeared in several Fringe performances (Only The Brave, Les Mis), performed at Belfast Proms, played Sophie in Mamma Mia opposite Sally Anne Triplett, originated the role of Fleck in Love Never Dies for ALW (so here's someone who worked with ALW afterall), recorded songs for albums and is now in a new musical called the Little Prince written by ALW's son.

Jessie Buckley who came second played Anne in Trevor Nunn's production of A little night music, and has done tons of solo concerts celebrating the American Songbook, (plus she's supposed to be in a film) in addition to training at theatre school.

The performers in Any Dream Will Do and Over The Rainbow did well too, haven't been following many of their careers to closely, so don't know what some of them are doing.

#37 Azincat

Azincat

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 02:02 PM

View Postsandeman, on 19 January 2012 - 12:59 PM, said:

ALW has approached Nicole Scherzinger to be a judge on his ITV search for Jesus Christ Superstar.

Steve Balsamo, who starred in the West End production of Jesus  Christ Superstar in the 90's has already been confirmed as a judge, and  Lord Lloyd Webber has met with Nicole in London several times to discuss  the possibility of her joining the panel.

It's believed that Lloyd Webber has already cast Nicole as Mary Magdalene in the film adaptation of the show.

Interesting!  Nicole did well in her recent performance at the Royal Variety Show so may well be able to do justice to the role of Mary Magdalene.

I'm not so sure about Nicole's suitability as a judge as she wasn't impressive in that role on the US X Factor - she was very bland in her comments and cried a lot.  Hopefully she will up her game a bit if she does indeed join the panel for the ITV search.

#38 simon from oxford

simon from oxford

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 02:36 PM

View PostAzincat, on 19 January 2012 - 02:02 PM, said:

Interesting!  Nicole did well in her recent performance at the Royal Variety Show so may well be able to do justice to the role of Mary Magdalene.

I'm not so sure about Nicole's suitability as a judge as she wasn't impressive in that role on the US X Factor - she was very bland in her comments and cried a lot.  Hopefully she will up her game a bit if she does indeed join the panel for the ITV search.

I just watched the clips of her performance of Phantom of the Opera and there were some very strange vowel sounds throughout.  Plus the range for Mary is not at all similar to that for Christine - and I am not sure that Ms S is really a cutting edge rock name to suit the profile they are claiming for the show.

For me, having her in the cast would be a reason not to go.

And as a judge - she has no credibility on all this musical theatre and her performance on US XF was very weak.

ALW might fancy her - but I don't think the Great British Public will warm to her

#39 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3361 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 03:13 PM

View Postsimon from oxford, on 19 January 2012 - 02:36 PM, said:

I just watched the clips of her performance of Phantom of the Opera and there were some very strange vowel sounds throughout.  Plus the range for Mary is not at all similar to that for Christine - and I am not sure that Ms S is really a cutting edge rock name to suit the profile they are claiming for the show.

For me, having her in the cast would be a reason not to go.

And as a judge - she has no credibility on all this musical theatre and her performance on US XF was very weak.

ALW might fancy her - but I don't think the Great British Public will warm to her

Plus she has supposedly been sacked from the US X Factor. I also dont think she is THAT much of a star name either

#40 drury

drury

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 03:17 PM

View Postjohartuk, on 19 January 2012 - 12:40 PM, said:

Actually, the programmes have a good track record of finding viable West End performers.  The argument that ALW hasn't subsequently cast the winners in anything else overlooks the fact that they have worked since for other West End bods and in other areas of the entertainment industry (e.g. music/recording and TV).  No doubt if the winners had been cast by ALW again, there would have been people moaning that they aren't viable WE leads because they only seem to be able to get work with ALW!:rolleyes:

Given that these people are still working 4, 5 and 6 years down the line, I'd say the Casting Shows haven't done too badly.  Especially when you compare them to contestants on shows like the X-Factor, where many contestants (including some winners) seem to disappear very quickly.

Point taken, people may well have said that. A lot are still working. That's a great aspect.

The shows have found some wonderful MT talent. Rachel Tucker is the best evidence of this as she at the top of the game as Elphaba in Wicked. But really my main point is (and I'm not saying it's right or wrong) that ALW enjoys the process. He doesn't need the money. So he does it purely for his own pleasure and self-gratification. I don't suppose it's his fault no-one else has cast the former winners in a great role. If these shows are nothing more than ticket-selling publicity, why haven't they been cast in  a strong lead part? That's why I'm a little cynical about the process.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users