#41 Azincat

Azincat

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 04:48 PM

View Postsimon from oxford, on 19 January 2012 - 02:36 PM, said:

I just watched the clips of her performance of Phantom of the Opera and there were some very strange vowel sounds throughout.  Plus the range for Mary is not at all similar to that for Christine - and I am not sure that Ms S is really a cutting edge rock name to suit the profile they are claiming for the show.

For me, having her in the cast would be a reason not to go.

And as a judge - she has no credibility on all this musical theatre and her performance on US XF was very weak.

ALW might fancy her - but I don't think the Great British Public will warm to her

From the article quoted by Sandeman, I think the rumour is that Nicole has been cast in an upcoming film version of JCS rather than the arena tour.  Any weaknesses can be more easily circumvented on film than on stage which is why I thought she might be OK.  I do agree that Nicole wouldn't necessarily be a great draw for audiences to either a film or the arena show.

#42 drury

drury

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 05:56 PM

View PostAzincat, on 19 January 2012 - 04:48 PM, said:

From the article quoted by Sandeman, I think the rumour is that Nicole has been cast in an upcoming film version of JCS rather than the arena tour.  Any weaknesses can be more easily circumvented on film than on stage which is why I thought she might be OK.  I do agree that Nicole wouldn't necessarily be a great draw for audiences to either a film or the arena show.

I hope Nicole is not involved in any way with JCS. She's boring on judging panels and just a name to bring in the crowds. I hope they get someone credible for the TV programme, film and the stage shows.

#43 Danube

Danube

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 07:03 PM

The story about Nicole being on the show came from The Sun, and is all "a source said ..." While it is possible that he is seriously pursuing her for a role in the tv and stage/film show, the only reason for such a leak would be to create buzz and publicity for the tv show.  These rumours don't need to be true for them to serve that purpose.  The story was also picked up on DigitalSpy, along with a clip from JCS, so it's all good publicity.

http://www.thesun.co...alent-show.html
http://www.digitalsp...ebber-show.html

The rumours aren't entirely without basis, as she has sung for him at the recent Royal Variety Performance, and she does now have experience of being a talent show judge, even though it's a bit questionable if that can transfer to another format, but there is enough there on which to base a rumour.

I thought she did quite well on the Royal Variety Performance all things considered.  If she were seriously interested in another musical theatre part, I'm sure she could make a decent stab at the singing side if she took the time for proper rehearsals and was given good direction.   As a popstar, I find her remarkably dull and it's all a bit "showbiz by numbers".  I hope she isn't involved, and that her name is just being used for some mutually beneficial publicity, but we'll have to wait and see.  

If the casting is for an arena tour, then having a judge with experience of singing to arenas might be no bad thing, but I thought her lack of musical theatre experience was a big flaw.  So I've just checked her Wiki page, and it says she majored in acting and musical theatre at university, and has been involved in some productions there, as well as some odd bits and pieces in the last few years, so there is more history there than I'd given her credit for.

#44 djp

djp

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 04:49 AM

View Postdrury, on 19 January 2012 - 12:06 PM, said:

Whilst liking the TV programmes, I am a little sceptical about the casting of a musical theatre performer on this type of programme. It's possible that ALW just lovesthe format and enjoys putting on the show. But afterwards? There's just thisfalse premise about the whole thing.  Yes, lots of rejects got their big chance. Some of the winners may have made a nichecareer. However, ALW has never cast the winners again. Despite being heralded as future stars of the WE, none of them have got roles since good enough to be lighting up the West End stage in a big way and wowing audiences.

You can hardly say no one else went on to major roles or failed to wow  audiences. Apart from Danielle and Sophie in the Wizard of Oz,  the  female leads in three of the biggest musicals currently in town are graduates of ALW's TV shows - Wicked,  We Will Rock You and Ghost.  Rachel, Lauren and Siobhan have got there after playing other  leading roles, they  have plenty of wow factor and there's not obviously anyone better for those roles  who didn't do the shows out there.The two biggest touring musicals for 2012 (Oliver and Phantom)  are led by Sam Barks who came third on I'do Anything,  and Katie Hall who got noticed in boot camp for I'Do Anything. They have done great things since - not least singing Eponine and Cosette together in  the Les Mis 25th anniversary Concert  - which is as big as it gets. As someone above posted,  Aoife Mulholland lead as both Maria in SoM and Roxie in Chicago before moving on to Brooke in Legally Blonde. There's also a lot of people playing other major roles -  At least 8 of the contestants  on the ALW search for  Nancy series alone, by my count, were on stage in a leading role somewhere over the  last couple of months.You also have some of the most striking people seen who are currently still in the drama schools they went on to after the shows - there's more to come.

There might be room to wonder if the shows typecast some  people/winners, and why the people who came third or fourth have proved so successful, but there's zero doubt that the  shows succeeded in getting an awful lot of the best talent out there to apply,  and in getting some of the best of it on screen. I can't see it matters who is employing them. ALW hasn't got many shows out there anyway  - the point is that for an awful lot of people who appeared on the  shows  someone else is.

#45 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3399 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 07:14 AM

You can't really compare Katie Hall, she was already workin in shows when she auditioned and was barely seen on tv.

Contestants have done well no question, but they arnt really stars in the sense that ALW set out to create. To the wider public their names don't mean anything. The tv shows served their purpose, they sold tickets and provided Saturday night entertainment. I think the runners up did better than the winners as their profile was raised for 15 mins, enough to get that first role. The winners end up being type cast. The only exception is possible Lee Mead. I also think the novelty of the shows may have worn off for te public. Woz was not as successful as previous outings

#46 drury

drury

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 10:33 AM

View PostTitan, on 20 January 2012 - 07:14 AM, said:

You can't really compare Katie Hall, she was already workin in shows when she auditioned and was barely seen on tv.

Contestants have done well no question, but they arnt really stars in the sense that ALW set out to create. To the wider public their names don't mean anything. The tv shows served their purpose, they sold tickets and provided Saturday night entertainment. I think the runners up did better than the winners as their profile was raised for 15 mins, enough to get that first role. The winners end up being type cast. The only exception is possible Lee Mead. I also think the novelty of the shows may have worn off for te public. Woz was not as successful as previous outings

I agree with you. They aren't the stars ALW led us to believe they are. They aren't known to a wider audience. The BBC viewers will have pretty much forgotten them by now. Lee Mead has done 2 smaller WE roles than Joseph, where he made no effort to look any different to winner of ALW show and Joseph. He is still typecast in a way. He is selling himself as and trying to appeal to audiences as Lee Mead winner of ALW show and Joseph.

#47 johartuk

johartuk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 10:47 AM

View PostTitan, on 20 January 2012 - 07:14 AM, said:

What kind of stars was ALW setting out to create?  I don't remember him saying anything beyond looking for a new leading man/lady.  Which he's found in his winners, and in some of the other contestants.  What he was also looking to do was to help contestants onto the career ladder, which, again, he's done.  There's lots of potential amongst the younger contestants.  So as far as I can see, he succeeded in his remit.

One of the things you have to remember when looking at the contestants' careers is that, while some have gone from show to show, others have done other things (e.g. TV work, recording albums and taking part in concert tours), which has meant that there have been longer periods between shows for them.  That doesn't mean that they're any less successful, just that they have chosen to do other things as well as Theatre work.  Which is what they realistically need to be doing so they can continue to be known by the public and be seen as viable 'names' by West End theatre bods.

#48 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3399 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 11:14 AM

View Postjohartuk, on 20 January 2012 - 10:47 AM, said:

What kind of stars was ALW setting out to create?  I don't remember him saying anything beyond looking for a new leading man/lady.  Which he's found in his winners, and in some of the other contestants.  What he was also looking to do was to help contestants onto the career ladder, which, again, he's done.  There's lots of potential amongst the younger contestants.  So as far as I can see, he succeeded in his remit.

One of the things you have to remember when looking at the contestants' careers is that, while some have gone from show to show, others have done other things (e.g. TV work, recording albums and taking part in concert tours), which has meant that there have been longer periods between shows for them.  That doesn't mean that they're any less successful, just that they have chosen to do other things as well as Theatre work.  Which is what they realistically need to be doing so they can continue to be known by the public and be seen as viable 'names' by West End theatre bods.

He said numerous times in interviews that he wanted to create stars that would have long high profile careers (ala Elaine Paige, Michael Ball etc) but that has not happened.  He said about Connie (and this was shown in the last episode of the Story of Musicals on BBC4) that he had found real star in Connie, and after the SOM people were less interested. Yes they are having nice careers, but not at the Ball and Paige level.  They tried it with Connie and Lee, but after the CD sales didnt set the world alite no further winner has had that.

#49 johartuk

johartuk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 03:32 PM

View PostTitan, on 20 January 2012 - 11:14 AM, said:

He said numerous times in interviews that he wanted to create stars that would have long high profile careers (ala Elaine Paige, Michael Ball etc) but that has not happened.  He said about Connie (and this was shown in the last episode of the Story of Musicals on BBC4) that he had found real star in Connie, and after the SOM people were less interested. Yes they are having nice careers, but not at the Ball and Paige level.  They tried it with Connie and Lee, but after the CD sales didnt set the world alite no further winner has had that.

Their careers are still going strong after 6 years (in the case of Connie), 5 years (in the case of Lee) and 4 years in the case of Jodie.  Therefore, they have succeeded in moving on after their 'prize' roles and becoming viable leading performers.  They've also been able to branch out into other areas.  Obviously, we don't know whether they'll have careers as long as Ball and Paige - and perhaps we should really be waiting another 5 or 10 years at least before making any comparisons on that score.  But they are certainly proving that there's life (and the possibility of a viable career) after winning a TV Casting Show.

Much as I love ALW, he does come out with some daft things - and this is a case in point.  It's bad enough that shows like X-Factor mislead the public into thinking that you're only successful if you're constantly in the public eye, but when ALW starts making the kind of silly pronouncements that you'd expect from Simon Cowell, it's getting ridiculous.  What's ironic is that the winners (plus many of the other contestants) seem to be much more grounded and realistic - they are prepared to put the work in and keep learning their craft.  It's ALW who seems to be off on one.:lol:

#50 djp

djp

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 03:50 PM

View PostTitan, on 20 January 2012 - 11:14 AM, said:

Arguably just part of the hype. he couldn't very well sell a show as finding a one off winner for the first half of the run of his next musical. The format couldn't  find a Michael Ball  partly, because , I think, the voters picked who looked most familiar in the roles and mirrored the instinct to go for safety not novelty. The purpose was also to cast for one  show - which was credible. It would never have been credible to try and sell whoever won as being bigger and better  than everyone else on their show , or everyone else in the running, for a whole range of shows. Some contestants have made it because they have been, or became, great candidates (or better) for some roles, winners risk typecasting more, and might even win because they seem so  suited for that one role.

I don't see the argument that its a failure  not to be Elaine Paige or Michael Ball,  or unknown by most of the population. Most of the population don't know most things  -  and know less in common now as audiences have declined and diversified, and many fields now produce temporary stars.   No one else leading a musical is the equivalent either  - even Ramin -  a lot of people turning up for Les Mis now are probably surprised its not Alfie still - and have no idea who anyone else on stage is. Many wouldn't know Elaine or Michael either.  ALW seems to me to have achieved the possible. He's found new and deveoping talent, some people made for other roles have been spotted at auditions that might have might not been found otherwise, and he's showcased his finalists - some better than others.  Some have gone on to be taken up for other major roles, and some of them have been exceptional in them, some are still at drama school.. Its difficult to see how the most successful ones could be much bigger or better - unless he wrote and promoted the equivalent of Memory for them and produced a series of big shows centered around them .

The other objective was stated to be to rise the profile of the West End, and get new custom - that seems to have been a great success anyway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users