987 replies to this topic

#491 freckles

freckles

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 06:06 PM

I believe some major sporting event is dominating the schedules from Friday...

#492 Jamiem

Jamiem

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 06:13 PM

And Jonathan Ansell is in the 100 metres

#493 johartuk

johartuk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 06:48 PM

What odd scheduling.  If they had a 'double elimination', and an ep on the Saturday, they could have had the final on the Sunday, thus avoiding the need for eps on Mon/Tues/Wed.

#494 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2522 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 06:49 PM

View Postbickypeg, on 11 July 2012 - 05:33 PM, said:

Very strange.Who watches TV on Wednesdays?!
Not everyone attends the same zumba or biscuit-baking class as you, Bickypeg.

#495 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3375 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 06:52 PM

What an odd thing to say Bickypeg

#496 bickypeg

bickypeg

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:33 PM

I may have phrased it badly!I would have thought it was crying out for a weekend slot if they are hoping for audience participation and high ratings.

#497 jaqs

jaqs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:19 PM

It's daft to start the show on weekends then have the live shows midweek. Ahh well I know I'll be watching and if it's a ratings flop and the format is put away again for a while so be it.

#498 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2522 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:23 PM

ITV planned this as a nightly series with audience voting in the immediate run-up to the Olympics, which explains why the final's on Wednesday 26 July. The two-day gap before the last three nightly live shows, after a run of five nightly live shows, could be to rest voices and allow time for the last contestants' final preparations. I expect they'll each be required to sing more songs each night in the last few shows. The launch programmes have been scheduled on Saturday and Sunday evenings last and next weekends, presumably to attract the traditional audiences to this series.

I hope this does catch the attention of a wide audience and of the media. It's of extra interest to those of us attending the arena tour.

#499 Annasette

Annasette

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 11:58 PM

I think it is a ridiculous ask to expect these guys (whoever they are) to prepare new songs (and group numbers as well presumably) for performances the very next day. It is hardly condusive to getting the best performances out of them. And isn't that what this process is supposed to be about? Even if the interim since the Superstar School has been spent "preparing" a given song list, the days between the live shows will still be ludicrously inadequate for the necessary reminder rehearsals and refinements, let alone the rehearsals that will be required so everyone knows what to do during the fillming. It is not as if they can just film something again on a live show if there's a mistake. It is an appalling prospect for these people. And the meagre 2 day break before the last three shows won't be enough to let voices rest properly. They are going to be filled with rehearsals etc. There is going to be no rest for the wicked then. And what a travesty that even the final is likely to be more about whose voice survives the stress best, rather than who is capable of performing best.

It is going to be too much, really, even for very experiened professionals, what chance will the obligatory builder/baker/candlestick maker amateur have, even if they have fantastic natural talent. This obviously isn't a role for an amateur singer, but that's beside the point. It should at least be vaguely fair. But the very nature of the process, particularly re the hurried nature of it, will absolutely ensure that the inexperienced will only be there to be fodder.

#500 freckles

freckles

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 07:51 AM

But they only have to sing one or two songs, they have had weeks to rehearse since the auditions, is it really any harder than performing night after night as the lead in a musical or "arena concert"? Good test of character & stamina I'd have thought.

Yes, the scheduling is not what we are used to but it will be interesting to see how the format works.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users