987 replies to this topic

#791 Azincat

Azincat

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 10:32 AM

Here is an interview with Ben defending the TV casting show format (it appears this is largely in response to Joanna Page's comments):

http://www.thestage....defends-musical

"Forster, who has also appeared in Thriller Live, said: “I have done quite a lot of theatre. I did not go into this competition [Superstar] as an amateur, I went in as a professional. But musical theatre is becoming more commercial and is a different thing than it was ten years ago. So I think to stay in the game, to stay fresh and on top of your career, a move like this could work.”
He added: “It was a really big risk, and it is hard putting yourself in that situation as a professional person. But I am really glad I took it and it paid off. In a difficult world we all need to raise our games and our profiles in any way we can.”

#792 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3375 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 12:55 PM

The thing about the Joanna Page article is has she not considered she only gets roles due to being "that girl off Gavin and Stacey". When you have some name/face recognition that can out weigh whether you are the best person for the part. It's highly likely she will have got roles over jobbing actors because she's is off the telly.

#793 Priscilla's heel

Priscilla's heel

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 02:01 PM

View PostTitan, on 28 July 2012 - 12:55 PM, said:

The thing about the Joanna Page article is has she not considered she only gets roles due to being "that girl off Gavin and Stacey". When you have some name/face recognition that can out weigh whether you are the best person for the part. It's highly likely she will have got roles over jobbing actors because she's is off the telly.

I agree with this and was quite surprised with how harsh Joanna Page sounded in the article. Did she study at RADA so she could do adverts for Superdrug?! Casting has changed, not just for theatre but tv and films also. If talent is shown then it can only be a good thing for those involved.

#794 pastaeater

pastaeater

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 04:37 PM

View PostPriscilla, on 28 July 2012 - 02:01 PM, said:

I agree with this and was quite surprised with how harsh Joanna Page sounded in the article. Did she study at RADA so she could do adverts for Superdrug?! Casting has changed, not just for theatre but tv and films also. If talent is shown then it can only be a good thing for those involved.

I agree - I think she was very harsh.  Not to disagree with the format - if that is how she feels - but to be so critical of people who, at the time of her writing the piece, were still actually going through the Superstar process.  She describes Rory as "dead behind the eyes" and  says that the people who entered the competition lacked guts (I am paraphrasing here). Who gave her the right to be so super-critical of people who are only doing their best to make it in a very difficult profession?

#795 Azincat

Azincat

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 05:08 PM

Oliver Tompsett has also written a very interesting article explaining why he auditioned for Superstar, why he had to withdraw and giving his views on Joanna Page's comments:

http://www.facebook....151942289555632

It's very long but this is what he has to say about JP's comments (though he doesn't mention her name):

"Before I conclude my thoughts on why I, & why I suspect, many others have and are entering the world of TV talent searches, I must add that obviously there are other ways of "raising your profile" as an actor . If you're lucky, TV dramas even Hollywood blockbusters for example, will land you some good work purely coz you've been on the Telly & to be honest if you have achieved this then you have been gifted a "High Profile" instantly & probably thoroughly deserved but you now have a whole other level of marketing & PR that I am not experienced enough to comment on. . . . . .

It seems very easy for some established actors & already successful people within the TV & theatre industry to be outspoken & complain about the disgrace & shame these tv searches bring to our 'precious' show business. But it seems to me that in most cases the elitist rants from such people that suggest only the fortunate & trained should be allowed to audition for leading role is simply snobby & rude. One article I read based on an Actress's opinions of Tv talent searches said "I am finding myself really happy now that they are left with people who aren’t suitable. There is no one with the charisma, the authority, the stature or the maturity to play Jesus,”

Happy ? HAPPY! I am sure this actress is not like this but this statement in my opinion shows them up to be nothing better than some childish cartoon villain. fine have your opinion that you dont think the candidates are suitable but to celebrate it? makes me wonder, would you be angry if in your eyes they had found someone brilliant?

I agree with some of this article. it suggests that "Superstar" has not called on them to demonstrate their acting ability.  I agree that the contestants should have had the opportunity to display greater acting ability as of course it is important for the role of Jesus, but thats the fault of ITV Superstar, not the contestants.

The article also said when referring to those who hadn't pursued acting all their lives that some of the positions of the contestants were that  "I didn’t do this when I was 12 but I wish I had done, but I didn’t have the guts".  To which the Actress said. . . "Well, that’s your problem, because you obviously didn’t have the passion, spirit, drive, and the determination, to dedicate your whole life to it”.  Sometimes their are people in this world that are not lucky enough to have the encouragement & support around them to allow them to fulfill their potential. Whether someone decides to follow a dream when they're only 5 or the ripe age of 85 they should be allowed that right to do so without the fear of already established actors looking down on them & refusing entry into our already "Closed Shop"

Maybe one of the only negatives I can think of when doing well & raising your profile on such "tv talent searches" is that you may find it hard to be taken seriously as a (excuse me) "serious" & ( I hate this word ) "Straight" Actor in the world of TV & Film but then that is something that most Musical theatre performers have been battling with for years.

So 30 paragraphs later, The reason why I auditioned for "Superstar" is that it's a role I have always dreamt of playing in a venue that even some of the biggest of names don't get the chance to play. I mean the 02 !! Coupled with the chance to raise my profile to increase my employability to insure my **** & bills get paid. Isn't that what we are all trying to do? Survive? I Act & Sing to survive & my jobs are under threat because I am not a celebrity, I am not making out that I am hard done by, I am aware of how incredibly lucky I am to have work today but what will next year bring?  I will do whatever I can to fundamentally protect my wife & my future family & of course Teddy(My Dog)

I hope I have given you a good insight into why I auditioned for "Superstar" & why I probably won't think twice about going for similar shows & why I think its important to adapt to the changes that are happening to our industry. Who knows I may get a huge blockbuster movie & all that side of my career will be taken care of but until then I will try my best to make myself the Right man, in the Right place, at the Right time."

This extract echoes the points made above by pastaeater, Priscill's heel and Titan.  Indeed, the whole article is well worth a read.  

#796 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3375 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 06:08 PM

Oliver has totally changed in my eyes, but his eloquent postings on the Superstar process has given me a new respect and appreciation of him

#797 pastaeater

pastaeater

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 08:16 PM

View PostTitan, on 28 July 2012 - 06:08 PM, said:

Oliver has totally changed in my eyes, but his eloquent postings on the Superstar process has given me a new respect and appreciation of him
Completely agree.

#798 Rozzi Rainbow

Rozzi Rainbow

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 06:46 PM

View PostAzincat, on 28 July 2012 - 05:08 PM, said:

Oliver Tompsett has also written a very interesting article explaining why he auditioned for Superstar, why he had to withdraw and giving his views on Joanna Page's comments:

http://www.facebook....151942289555632

It's very long ..... [much of the quote deleted to avoid repetition]

the whole article is well worth a read.   

Thanks for posting this. I think it's great that he has taken the time to write all of this. I only skimmed through it due to the length, but found it interesting to know why he had to leave Superstar - it's a shame things happened that way, and he wasn't made aware of it beforehand, but good to know RoA and ITV tried to sort things so he could continue.
"Seek salvation in the place of living rock.
A bright bright star will show the way.
Go to where the champions played."

#799 Rain

Rain

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 08:38 PM

Really enjoyed reading that from Olly. Very interesting and well thought out.

#800 jaqs

jaqs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 08:38 PM

Met Roger at rock of ages last night, he is just as hot in real life. Thoroughly nice chap.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users