987 replies to this topic

#831 Richey

Richey

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 11:49 AM

Anyone know how well tickets are selling? I was in Manchester last night and was really surprised at the amount of advertising there was for it- there were posters on vitually every billboard in the city centre and on the sides of loads of taxis

#832 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3361 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 12:16 PM

I dont know but I saw the Jonathan Ross performance and found it pretty underwhelming, Mel c seemed to struggle a bit and I really don't like Tim minchins voice. Ben was ok but a bit shouty. They didn't really gel

#833 Richey

Richey

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 12:32 PM

View PostTitan, on 09 September 2012 - 12:16 PM, said:

I dont know but I saw the Jonathan Ross performance and found it pretty underwhelming, Mel c seemed to struggle a bit and I really don't like Tim minchins voice. Ben was ok but a bit shouty. They didn't really gel
ooh just watched it on youtube; you're right it is very underwhelming. can't see this working in arenas

#834 johartuk

johartuk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 01:16 PM

Mel C was really breathy and Tim Minchin's voice was very nasal.  I thought that Ben was the strongest of the three, though I do wish he'd try to look a bit less anxious when performing.

#835 sam22

sam22

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 08:20 PM

just watched the clip, so so disappointed

#836 freckles

freckles

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 06:49 AM

Never quite got the Tim Minchin casting: that clip confirmed my worries. I thought Mel was OK & Ben has a good voice but he does overact. Maybe that will be OK in a stadium?

Very concerned for Tim singing the iconic title number...

#837 sandeman

sandeman

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • Interests:Worked in professional theatre for over 20 years.

Posted 10 September 2012 - 09:34 AM

Felt completely underwhelmed by the whole thing. Love Tim Minchin but his voice is far too thin for Judas. And the Jonathan Ross/ALW interview with that ridiculous wine tasting stunt which went so horribly wrong and was a complete waste of air time.  Would have been far more interesting if he had let ALW talk more about the songs he had been writing in Majorca for his new musical.

#838 Wickeder

Wickeder

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 10:58 AM

View PostRichey, on 09 September 2012 - 11:49 AM, said:

Anyone know how well tickets are selling? I was in Manchester last night and was really surprised at the amount of advertising there was for it- there were posters on vitually every billboard in the city centre and on the sides of loads of taxis

Posters obviously rushed and not proof read, as they have Jesus played by Ben Foster - rather than Forster!

I love JCS, but sadly the J Ross performance has done nothing to make me want to buy tickets.

#839 djp

djp

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 03:14 PM

View Postfreckles, on 10 September 2012 - 06:49 AM, said:

Never quite got the Tim Minchin casting: that clip confirmed my worries. I thought Mel was OK & Ben has a good voice but he does overact. Maybe that will be OK in a stadium?

Very concerned for Tim singing the iconic title number...

Not sure whether to trust the youtube sound - the levels were up and down or my hearing is phasing.  .Tim was too soft but the belted bit at the end was very strong. Melanie  sounds like Melanie does,  and if you go with ALW's thinking that her character Mary could sound like  that, she sounded fine and conveys the lyrics. Ben sounded a bit soft for most of it too. Interesting at the end that Melanie can more than hold her own with both of them singing against her. I suspect it will sound very different in an arena - if they  employ a decent sound team.

#840 bickypeg

bickypeg

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 03:29 PM

I believe you'll find that Judas' part has already been altered to make it more singable-if Minchin is still struggling to make it his own this is worrying.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users