987 replies to this topic

#851 bickypeg

bickypeg

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 04:46 PM

As I said they've had to alter his part considerably so he can sing it.Let's just pray for understudies for all of them!
(Incidentally the best version of Heaven on their Minds I've ever heard was from Hannah Waddingham!)

#852 craftymiss

craftymiss

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 05:27 PM

I saw a clip on BBC Breakfast; oh dear oh dear!  Mel C sounded positively dreadfull, can she actually sing and NOT be out of breath?  I'm incredibly glad I have not forked out a small fortune to see this. In fact from what I saw on TV the arena/staging looks bare; maybe it's supposed to but it didnt grab me

#853 freckles

freckles

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 01:13 PM

View Postcraftymiss, on 18 September 2012 - 05:27 PM, said:

I saw a clip on BBC Breakfast; oh dear oh dear!  Mel C sounded positively dreadfull, can she actually sing and NOT be out of breath?  I'm incredibly glad I have not forked out a small fortune to see this. In fact from what I saw on TV the arena/staging looks bare; maybe it's supposed to but it didnt grab me

I can never work out if she is actually out of breath or just thinks she sounds alluring...!

#854 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 01:29 PM

Caught the three leads on the Jonathan Ross show and I was very underwhelmed. Ben is no Jesus - but then none of the finalists on the show were ideal. Mel C was very breathy and took breaths at the most odd places in the lyric. Presumably she thinks this is sexy!? As for Tim - his singing was very nasal and I dont think his voice will last the tour - I hope his understudy is well prepared. I cannot believe ALW thinks these are brilliant singers - it must just be commercial marketing. I am amazed it seems to have sold so well. I will definately be giving it a miss!

#855 Steve10086

Steve10086

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 10:47 PM

It was good, though still prefer the Lyceum Theatre production of JCS.  We were lucky to be in row 4 of the arena floor, at the end of an aisle with a completely unobscured and up close view of the show.  It wasn't until half way through Act II that I really got into the story though.  Until then it was all just a bit too loud and rushed.  Ben Forster wasn't great.  Didn't like his acting at all, and his singing wasn't perfect.  Tim Minchin sounds weird, but did a pretty good job.  Mel C was better than I expected, and Chris Moyles was OK as Herod.  Lloyd Webber predictably said it was the best production he'd seen - he says that every bloody time!  Enjoyed it, but don't think it's outstanding.

Liked the lyric change, from; "God thy will is hard, but you hold every card" to: "God thy will be done, take your only son".  Never liked hearing that God's willy's hard!

#856 paplazaroo

paplazaroo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 11:24 PM

Interesting to hear an opinion from the stalls, I was way up at the back in the 'cheap' seats. Overall I'd love to see this in a theatre but from where I was sitting it was like they had lifted a pros arch style set and rig and plonked it into the o2. The acoustics were pretty awfull and I couldn't connect with the show as I could hardly see it, I was expecting something a bit bigger and more spectacular to justify the venue. Andrew saying that he has waited 42 years came across to me as him saying he's waited 42 years to manage to get so much more cash than he would in a theatre. The production was set modern day, cue glee style acting of 'occupy' protesters, dirty hippys and guantanamo boiler suits. For me the anti capitalist messages were a bit at odds with the way the production had been put together especially the way they did Herods song which was very hypocritical. Not sure how much to say as I don't want to spoil it for anyone. Cast wise - Mel C struggled, Ben Forster was way out of his acting depths but had a half decent stab at singing it. I loved Minchins take on Judas , I thought he was very strong vocally and is a good obscure choice, a bit like Jerome Pradon.  The hanging was awesome and the last ten minutes good, although a little bit emotionally munipulative using imagery from 9/11 and ww2. Pilate was excellent as was Peter and the ensemble seemed strong if underused, I thought we had escaped body popping breakdancers until some appeared in act 2. So overall I reckon I enjoyed it but would have liked it much more if it had been in a theatre.

#857 Steve10086

Steve10086

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 11:28 PM

View Postpaplazaroo, on 21 September 2012 - 11:24 PM, said:

The acoustics were pretty awfull and I couldn't connect with the show as I could hardly see it

I don't think it mattered where you sat.  There just wasn't anything to connect with until near the end!

#858 paplazaroo

paplazaroo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 11:32 PM

glad it wasn't just me! Did you have a laugh at the really bad 'believe' posters of Ben in the Obama style? awkward!

#859 Teisted1

Teisted1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 11:56 PM

I thought it was very good. Although a few sound problems. I wonder wether Ben forgot his words on god thy will is hard during gethsemane. Only because the new lyric change makes no sense. God thy will be done take your only son, doesn't work as he never admitted to be the son of god which is why when questioned by pilot later about being the son of god is it true he replies that's what you say. I thought it may very well be a very quick cover up. Not sure why after 42 years just those two lines would be changed. I was very impressed with Tim minchin but Ben was a little camp and over the top. I did feel sorry for him during gethsemane not being able to hit those notes but I guess nerves could be a huge factor. Overall I thought it was great but the orchestra were I think the biggest players in tonight's show.

#860 Steve10086

Steve10086

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 12:17 AM

If it was a lyric cover up then he did a good job in rhyming it.  I agree that the orchestra was great, if over amplified at some points.  When Ben sang "Just watch me die" I couldn't help but think "I am, you're dieing on your feet up there!" :-(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users