987 replies to this topic

#861 DanielWhit

DanielWhit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2293 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 12:19 AM

To tackle the sound thing first - overall it was far too loud, to the point where no-one near me could actually tell what lyrics were being sung, only that they sounded screechy. Admittedly at the start of the second half it did tame a touch, only for the volume to crank back up soon afterwards.

To me, it felt like Minchin hasn't really got a clue where his Judas is yet, but would be interested to see how reports on him develop over the next few weeks (he's vocally solid and can clearly act the part fairly well). Melanie just resorted to the fall back pop whispy voice, while generally was underpowering (surprising considering out of the principal cast she's the one with the most experience in arenas). Chris Moyles actually came out with some credibility in his performance, then again little acting is required as he just needed to ramp up the radio host and turn up as Jezza Herod.

Ben, well, he's currently out of his depth. Yes, nerves clearly played a part, shown by missing a couple of notes at key moments (though that could have just been the sound system giving a strange quirk). However, acting wise he's just going through the motions at the moment, during Gethsemane I couldn't fathom why his Jesus had gone from "nah, I won't do it" to "oh go on then, if you must" - it just, happened.

All that said, it must be noted tonight was in effect a first preview, it should bed down over the next few performances and things be fine tuned - it was very rough and ready and I personally suspect they had to rush some of Act 2's technical to get it ready in time (it did not look as polished as Act 1).

The band, when they were audible, sounded good. The lighting, as others have said, looked like they had just plonked in a pros arch rig and hoped that would work. The crucifixion, however, stood out as being both unworkable on a pros arch and bizarre in an arena set up - coupled with the fact no camera work was used so no-one beyond the front few rows of seats could see any acting Ben might have been doing resulted in a bit of a "ok, so what?" moment to me up in Level 4.

Cue the production ending on a bit of a flat note, only for the Lord to burst on, declare that he's waited 42 years for this, etc etc etc - I do sometimes think he's got those speeches prepared years in advance as this surely can't be what he was hoping for...

#862 Teisted1

Teisted1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 12:37 AM

I thought mel c's rendition of I don't know how to love him came across all wrong also. She had this look of excited girl in love with the man of her dreams from what I saw on the on the big screen. No sign of heartbreak or confusion whatsoever which has to drive the song. Was quite light and airy when by this point you should really feel for her and sympathise. It's just little details which let the production down a little for me. Agree that it felt like more of a preview.

#863 ABowlerHat

ABowlerHat

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 12:46 AM

How do they do the crucifixion?

#864 AnnT

AnnT

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 12:48 AM

Lots to agree with - sound issues, too loud, causing a very amplified distortion, I thought it might be because we were in the fifth row stalls but obviously a problem for most.  Really uncomfortable.  Tim Minchin was really very good, I liked Mel C, really liked Chris Moyles - quite a fun element to the show.  I'm happy the "celeb" casting in this case worked (for me anyway).  Ben - it's tough, I think for his first starring role he did exceptionally well.  My companion and I disagreed over his performance which she didn't like at all - although we both agreed there was a lack of charisma, stage presence, he didn't hold the eye on stage.  Really liked the staging too, set on the steps with the pop-up tents, great dancers, the "hanging" was exceptional (tricky one to gauge applause moments, this show).  

Saw George outside the 02 as we were going in - he really is very handsome in person.  Saw Nathan and Rory in the tiered side seats (I truly would have loved to see Nathan perform this part).

Anyhoo - a good night, not a spectacle like the Phantom at the Royal Albert Hall last year, but lots to enjoy.  My moment of the evening - Hosanna, loved the performance, got goosebumps.  I have never seen this show before, although I have seen Steve Balsamo sing Gethsemane, at Andrew Lloyd Webbers 60th birthday bash at Hyde Park years ago.

#865 Teisted1

Teisted1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 12:53 AM

Sorry to go on but I also loved the temple scene with its very bass heavy club sound. The crucifixion was quite clever but I couldn't begin to describe it for you sadly. Was let down sadly by bens hammy acting. Not helped by the woman laughing very loudly a few rows behind me. Loved the way the floor seating area was used at the end very sweet.

#866 DanielWhit

DanielWhit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2293 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 12:55 AM

View PostABowlerHat, on 22 September 2012 - 12:46 AM, said:

How do they do the crucifixion?

Put in spoiler just in case anyone doesn't want to know:

Spoiler

Others can fill in more on the projection stuff that was going on during this :)

#867 freckles

freckles

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 07:36 AM

Going this afternoon, so will listen carefully to Gethsemane (sound reverb permitting...) Comments on Twitter are very mixed, but I will see for myself.

However, looks like not long to wait fot the dvd:

http://www.timminchi...-pre-order-now/

#868 Reich

Reich

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1027 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 09:12 AM

Tickets are now papered like the discounts at a DFS sale ... I'm going this afternoon

Broadway has been very good to me. But then, I've been very good to broadway.

#869 Teisted1

Teisted1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 09:21 AM

Where can you find them ? Would quite like to go again.

#870 SKYWALKER

SKYWALKER

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 09:51 AM

Can anyone who went last night please post how long the show ran?

Worried about catching a train home. The O2 website says the first act is only 50 minutes which sounds a trifle short????

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users