987 replies to this topic

#871 Rooster Byron

Rooster Byron

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 09:57 AM

The show went up late but was down shortly after 10. I thoroughly enjoyed the whole thing, it just about works in an arena. Tim is the stand out star conveying all the emotional intensity of Judus with incredible vocals.

#872 Teisted1

Teisted1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 10:04 AM

The first act is actually quite short. Including the interval it did run until about 10.15. But I didn't get into the tube station til around an hour later because of the queue.

#873 SKYWALKER

SKYWALKER

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 10:12 AM

Thank you for that.

#874 JonnyBoy

JonnyBoy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 11:47 AM

Wow.  Pretty negative reaction on here.  And I've just read some press reviews which are raves.
Confused but still looking forward to it.

#875 Rooster Byron

Rooster Byron

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 01:44 PM

It's a show which appears to be getting really opposing views, I wonder if it's an age thing. I'm in my early 20s and loved it (I also loved the Lyceum production when it toured) I really loved the new production. Those who I've spoken to who haven't liked it appear to be older

#876 AnnT

AnnT

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 01:57 PM

View PostAnnT, on 22 September 2012 - 12:48 AM, said:

Anyhoo - a good night, not a spectacle like the Phantom at the Royal Albert Hall last year, but lots to enjoy.  My moment of the evening - Hosanna, loved the performance, got goosebumps.  I have never seen this show before, although I have seen Steve Balsamo sing Gethsemane, at Andrew Lloyd Webbers 60th birthday bash at Hyde Park years ago.
  Well, I'm 53, my friend is 52 and I'll say again, lots to enjoy but things could have been better - technical stuff in terms of sound, some performance stuff.  Still the first show so ......

#877 Steve10086

Steve10086

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 02:02 PM

View PostRooster Byron, on 22 September 2012 - 01:44 PM, said:

I also loved the Lyceum production when it toured

The touring production was completely different to the Lyceum production - and not nearly as good.  Have nothing against modern settings of the show, but the earthy simple staging at the Lyceum was excellent.

#878 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3398 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 02:11 PM

it depends which tour you are talking about. The last tour was different, however ghe lyceum production did tour after closing in london, i still have the brochure. it may have had tweaks but it was basically the same production

#879 Steve10086

Steve10086

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 02:14 PM

Hmm, what did it look like?  The tour that Gale Edwards directed after the Lyceum production was the one that was adapted into the video version starring Glen Carter - all white marble columns and modern dress.  The Lyceum production was in period costume in an amphitheatre setting.

#880 Laughingmonsta

Laughingmonsta

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2424 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 03:06 PM

The show is a major cash cow for ALW - there is nothing to connect with, I thought the modernisation worked, it made it fresh and relevant and I didn't mind that, I agree that this would have suited somewhere like the Palladium where it could have easily ran for a year if not more...wouldn't surprise me if that is the plan.In an arena setting where your audience at worst is over 300 meters away from the stage, there are lots of problems.They try to cover this through the use of a video screen back drop but when only selected moments are used you miss so much...why was the crown of thorns not screened?

I thought casting wise...Ben was ok, he is out of his depth and his Gethsemene was weak, Mel C was flatter and less colourful than an anaemic pancake, Chris Moyles was enjoyable and brought some good comic relief but the show was stolen by Tim Minchin who was a bit of a revelation.

I have a feeling that the show will be better received when it comes out on DVD than it will be from folks in the arenas.
This is my street, I smile at the faces I've known all my life, They regard me with pride.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users