987 replies to this topic

#881 paplazaroo

paplazaroo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 03:33 PM

I'm 25 and found the ham fisted modernisation patronising l. The illuminati symbol was silly, couldn't read it did it say 'super omnis'. The set was like rent with steps, boring.

#882 Steve10086

Steve10086

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 03:39 PM

1996 Lyceum Theatre Production
Design: John Napier
Costume: Sue Wilmington
Choreography: Aletta Collins
Lighting: David Hersey

1998 UK Tour Production
Design: Peter J Davison
Costume: Roger Kirk
Choreography: Anthony Van Laast
Lighting: Mark McCullough

Was there another UK touring production between these two RUG shows?!

#883 paplazaroo

paplazaroo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 05:14 PM

Looking forward to hearing matinee reports, twitter has talk of a long break in the middle of act 2 because of a tech hitch. Surprised by the glowing reviews today.

#884 freckles

freckles

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 06:13 PM

View Postpaplazaroo, on 22 September 2012 - 05:14 PM, said:

Looking forward to hearing matinee reports, twitter has talk of a long break in the middle of act 2 because of a tech hitch. Surprised by the glowing reviews today.

Well, the number 'Superstar' was show-stopping, literally. Jesus walking to his crucifixion, all very dramatic, we hear the disembodied voice of Judas start the number, dancing angels take to the stage, then suddenly the music halted & we hear the disembodied voice of Judas mutter 'Awesome!'

There was then an announcement to the cast to clear the stage & one to the audience that due to a techhnical hitch the show would resume shortly. Which it did (10 mins?) but such a shame to pause at such a dramatic moment!

Will post my full thoughts later but will always remember the show for this!

#885 freckles

freckles

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 06:55 PM

Oh, and it went up 35 mins late, after a slow hand clap & some mexican waving from a very bored audience.

#886 gandalf

gandalf

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 09:05 PM

As mentioned above - a great "Spinal Tap" moment in the matinee - Judas stuck up in the lighting rig on part of the cross which couldn't be lowered. Classic.

#887 freckles

freckles

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 08:28 AM

now have time to report fully on Sat mat:

All of the leads were OK, not amazing, but probably not as bad as expected. (I was a bit cynical). Mel C was fine, if  dull. Ben I think made a good fist of most of it, vocally he sounded strong but does over emote a bit & unfortunately, when he tries to do 'angry' or 'upset', he turns very camp & whiney. Tim Minchin was largely very good but he simply doesn't have the range or control & so goes quite off key now & then. When he's good, he's excellent but his reprise of Don't Know How To Love Him was, for example, barely recognisable as the original melody. Fantastic actor though. Moyles really worked & his is one of the best scenes! Brief but funny (and I've never been a fan.) The other 'minor' roles were all good.

The staging & the arena setting were the biggest negatives for me. I agree with those who said it would be better in a standard theatre. I was Level 4 and the actors were dots, the camera work on the screen was patchy, and partially obscured from my seat by a lighting rig hanging just above it. So any acting or detailed business, as well as the finer points of the choreography, were often pointless as a lot of the time I could only see the big picture. Which at times worked but at times made you wonder if the creatives had ever considered the performance from anywhere other than front stalls (or whatever you call it in an arena).

Sound was not too loud, but not terribly distinct especially when the actors were on the move and many individual mic cues were missed. In a sung through piece like this, you need to hear every word. My daughter, who is not familiar with the show, found it very difficult to follow,

The best bit was Gethsenmane, Ben did that brilliantly. I felt engaged & moved, which I hadn't during the rest of the show. But they kept it simple, he stood (and knelt) and just sang. So no movement that you couldn't quite see, or to distort the vocal.
The "God thy will is hard" line was rpelaced with "God thy will be done, take thy only son" so looks like a permanent change.

The 'Spinal Tap Moment' - see above (love it, gandalf!) was unfortunate too. Poor cast.

So, interesting, but I would much have preferred it in a theatre. Or a sung concert, like the Les Mis one. My friend who has seen the (recently closed) broadway production said that was far superior. Starting so late didn't help the mood, but I found it all a bit soulless too. Some auditorium music before the start would have perhaps created a better atmosphere.

#888 dan

dan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 11:23 AM

Really looking forward to this when it hits Cardiff, although those steps look a bit big for the Motorpoint Arena! They might have to switch them for a stepladder! Nice report freckles, thanks.

#889 *Beatrice*

*Beatrice*

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 11:30 AM

A very brief report.....

We went last night and I can tell you there were no technical probs. The show was very different from earlier theatre productions. Personally, I liked it. The cast were fine. ALW definately knew what he was doing. Ben sang his role very well. Mel C & Moyles did well and for all those doubters; Tim Minchin made a distinctly different and very good Judas. Forget any thoughts of well-known WE stars in the role, they wouldn't have been right. A thoroughly good show.

#890 SKYWALKER

SKYWALKER

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 12:50 PM

I went last night and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Tim Minchin didn't quite work for me, but that is a nearly impossible part to get right...acting wise, he was fine. Singing wise, not so great for me. His death was very cool though and we're still wondering how it was done...that scene was very effective.

I enjoyed Ben very much and he got far more applause than anyone else which surprised me.  I agree that the size of the arena made it hard to really get into the emotions of the show.

For me, the supporting cast were amazing. I loved all three of the baddies and they did much with so little. True veterans of the stage.

Agree with above poster that I can't see anyone else doing it. I wonder what Tim Rice would've made of it as he was so opposed to the whole contest thing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users