987 replies to this topic

#911 *Beatrice*

*Beatrice*

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 02:14 PM

It didn't happen on Saturday evening when I was there. The O2 was packed to the rafters throughout. Although some  people did rush out at the end of the show during the cast applause. I thought that they were rushing to catch their bus, tube etc and the ensuing crush!

#912 Kathryn2

Kathryn2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1255 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 03:11 PM

A place as big as the O2, and with their rules about no smoking and no readmittance, there is no way they ever get through a show with no one leaving at the interval. Especially when they're papering the house!

#913 sambda

sambda

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 08:58 PM

View PostKathryn2, on 24 September 2012 - 11:50 AM, said:

Or maybe, being as close as you were to the stage, you simply couldn't see if people behind you and in the top levels left during the interval. Most of the reports I read of people leaving said they were up in the nosebleed seats, and couldn't really hear or see well enough to follow what was going on. Having had the same experience at Carmen at the O2 I can well believe it.

Knowing what had been said, I deliberately kept my eye out for people leaving.  The stalls and main Tier 1 had very few empty seats.  It's one of the best turnouts I've ever seen for any event, actually.  The weather yesterday was absolutely atrocious, so I was expecting more no-shows.  The two Tier 4 levels were only about 1/3 occupied even at the start, certainly no sell-out of tickets up there.  A few people may have left there, but nothing which yelled out to me.

#914 The Scorpion

The Scorpion

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 11:05 PM

View PostTitan, on 22 September 2012 - 02:11 PM, said:

it depends which tour you are talking about. The last tour was different, however ghe lyceum production did tour after closing in london, i still have the brochure. it may have had tweaks but it was basically the same production

The Lyceum production NEVER toured. Gale Edwards was the director of what toured shortly afterwards but it was an entirely reconceived production with a new concept, sets and direction that were vastly inferior. What toured is what went to Broadway and what was filmed for video release. That is not what the Lyceum production was at all.

Sad that modern audiences don't get to see ALW's works in a good light these days. The way Cameron and Andrew have been treating their best products recently, I wouldn't be surprise to see audiences wonder what all the fuss was about originally. Les Mis has been butchered musically in the West End, both in terms of the score and the orchestration; the new tour of Phantom is done on the cheap with the same hack director as this concert tour, and ALW in particular seems to insist on parasitically savaging his past glories to make a little more money for his pension (so little thought and care gone into this arena tour, so little professionalism compared to the standards RUG and Cameron Mackintosh used to set). The whole world has gone Kenwright. It's sad.

#915 Steve10086

Steve10086

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 06:06 AM

View PostThe Scorpion, on 24 September 2012 - 11:05 PM, said:

The Lyceum production NEVER toured. Gale Edwards was the director of what toured shortly afterwards but it was an entirely reconceived production with a new concept, sets and direction that were vastly inferior. What toured is what went to Broadway and what was filmed for video release. That is not what the Lyceum production was at all.

Thanks, that's the point I've been trying to make.  Am surprised people think the Gale Edwards tour is what had been staged at the Lyceum.  They really missed out!  Loved sitting in the 'tribune' seating at the back of the amphitheatre staging.  OK, so you only got to see the crucifixion from behind, but to be actually sitting IN the set of a West End musical was an amazing experience.

#916 holler

holler

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 03:16 PM

The Broadway World review was bang on the money, in my opinion. I can sum up the entire vision with as they so aptly put it - they have prioritised 'concept' over 'content'.

Little more to say about this car crash really... my love for Tim Minchin hasn't died and I'm glad he has proved himself to be more than a stunt cast, as I knew he would, the same cannot be said for Mel C. The ensemble are clearly hugely talented and it's a shame they don't have something better to work with.

I won't be seeing this again!

#917 paplazaroo

paplazaroo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 07:06 PM

Slightly off topic - I've always hoped for a production with Judas played by Jack Black, he would clearly do it as he loves the show and sometimes sings heaven on their minds at Tenacious D gigs,

Anyone else think that would be awesome?

#918 MrTumnus

MrTumnus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:30 PM

Was at the Glasgow show on Tuesday. Thought it was very good overall, with a very few excellent scenes( Could We Start Again Please the best IMO) and a soul-less rendition of I Don't Know How To Love Him.

Jesus & Judas did well through-out. Pilate & Ciaphas were the best of the supporting cast. Mary was poor 1st half, good 2nd Act.
Staging simple but effective but we only had one central screen(don't know about other venues) so the audience at the sides that needed them the most saw the least. Unfortunately I missed the crucifixion due to a column of speakers hanging from the ceiling blocking my view. Three seats either side of me was fine so I guess I was just unlucky with my seats. Sound was well balanced and crystal clear.

The arena didn't have the intimacy of a theatre which certainly affected my enjoyment but I am glad I attended. A very good 7/10.
I can't think out of the box as I don't have a box to start with.

#919 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1228 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 12:29 PM

Very mixed reviews for this. No intention of seeing it. The Lyceum production was awesome - even I am too young to have seen the original production at the Palace. But this "arena" type production has to be a producers dream. Around 8 times the capacity of a theatre performance and virtually the same costs. Only a 10 piece band! You could have had a 30 piece orchestra at the O2. So ALW must be raking it in. Lets hope Bill Kenwright does not jump on the arena production band waggon. If this is a success ( and it seems to be commercially) I think we can expect more shows "revised" for arenas.

So few shows are really suitable - including JCS, but commercial considerations will not stop producers I dont think. The only show that springs to mind that would be awesome in an arena is Starlight Express - now that could be spectacular!

#920 Distant_Cousin

Distant_Cousin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 12:57 PM

Can I just say one thing which is glaringly obvious to me.  The problem with JCS is the book.

I saw it at the Lyceum in 97 and at the o2 last weekend, and was discussing this with friends.

JCS assumes the audience know their Bible stories, and in particular this episode in the life in Jesus.

I had very little R.E at school, and didn't to Sunday school, hence I am not ashamed to admit I am pretty clueless.

Hence I've always felt on the backfoot with JCS, as background is not explained, character motivations and context of the story are only loosely referred to, and now both times I've seen it I am left with so many questions like:

Why did XXX do this/that?
Why did XXX think that about XXXX?

making it hard to really understand what the characters are all about ultimately!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users