987 replies to this topic

#951 dan

dan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:23 AM

What it had going for it was its volume, scale and its Arena setting. Take these things away and I think it might be almost unwatchable. I thoroughly enjoyed it but don't have a desire to go again or watch it on a small screen.

#952 Kathryn2

Kathryn2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1249 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:43 AM

Hmm, see, the scale of it actually annoyed me. I didn't feel like they were filling that massive stage, instead they were a bit lost on it. The movement was hampered by the awkwardness of the stairs, it took people far too long just to get from A to B.

I know ALW was all 'this is how it was meant to be, it's a rock-opera', but the production that I absolutely loved didn't feel like a rock-opera at all, it felt like there were little pastiches of different types of music throughout it. The rockiness of the arena setting seemed to overwhelm that subtle musical commentery. As 'rock' music, it's just not very good rock music!

So I'm pretty sure I would have hated it if I'd seen it live, too.

#953 peggy sue

peggy sue

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:50 AM

View PostKathryn2, on 01 January 2013 - 10:54 PM, said:

Picked up the DVD for £7 in Sainsbury's yesterday. Watching it now. It's not inspiring me to see the arena tour.

I'm not even inspired to buy the DVD because of the awful casting!

#954 sandeman

sandeman

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • Interests:Worked in professional theatre for over 20 years.

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:06 AM

I saw the arena tour and thought it was OK (not great).  But if I had watched the DVD first would certainly not have gone to see it live.

#955 The Scorpion

The Scorpion

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:43 PM

View PostKathryn2, on 02 January 2013 - 08:43 AM, said:

I know ALW was all 'this is how it was meant to be, it's a rock-opera', but...

If there's something I've learnt over the years, it's that ALW uses this line *so* often that it's meaningless. He's said this about every single production of Superstar since the original Broadway production, which was the one he didn't like. He said it about the Lyceum production (i.e. that this is how it was always meant to be, no other production before this has realised my vision), he said it about the Broadway millenium revival, he said it about the recent Broadway revival from Canada and he's said it about this. It means nothing. This and his "this is the best thing I've ever done and this is the best libretto/design/production/choreography/whatever I've ever had" are his two most overused phrases that are devoid of any genuine meaning. His PR teams probably encourage him to use these clichéd superlatives because the media will run them as headlines, which, RUG hopes, will translate into big advanced sales.

It's when he starts saying that that I worry. Let's not forget, he claimed Glenn Slater's lyrics for "beautiful beautiful beautiful beautiful beautiful" Paint Never Dries were the best thing he had ever had lyrically since Tim Rice (LOL!) and he even had the audacity to claim that he always wanted the Phantom "to have a rock-and-roll edge" to try and justify Gerard Butler's appalling singing in the Phantom film (which of course makes no sense, otherwise he wouldn't have fired Steve Harley and hired Michael Crawford for the role in the stage production).

This whole Superstar arena tour sounded promising when I first heard the idea, but as soon as I heard it was taking the reality TV route in spite of Tim Rice's objections, that it was going to be directed by Laurence Connor and that the cast was not an April Fool, I relied on my gut instinct to stay away. Based on this thread, I'm glad I did. :-/ Not planning to buy the DVD either.

#956 Steve10086

Steve10086

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:50 PM

The only thing more predictable than ALW saying "this is the best production ever" is him saying "well, I was never really happy with it" a couple of years later!

#957 The Scorpion

The Scorpion

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:51 PM

View PostSteve10086, on 03 January 2013 - 09:50 PM, said:

The only thing more predictable than ALW saying "this is the best production ever" is him saying "well, I was never really happy with it" a couple of years later!

Haha! Too true, sadly. It's usually accompanied with a statement assigning the blame elsewhere, of course...

#958 Steve10086

Steve10086

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:56 PM

Obviously! :-)

#959 Matthew Winn

Matthew Winn

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2898 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:07 AM

It's my belief that ALW has grown tired of the publicity side of theatre and prefers to stick to writing, so he's hired a large parrot to act as his stand-in at media events and trained it to say "This is how I always wanted the show to be" or "I was never really happy with it" as required.
I have always hated eggs. I remember back when I was a sperm I tried to head-butt one. It did not end well.

#960 Kathryn2

Kathryn2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1249 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:08 PM

Well, it's better than the alternative theory - that he's too senile to remember what it was that he actually wrote and what he has said about productions of his work.

Or, you know, we could go with 'cynically lying through his teeth, to make more money'. But I like your theory better!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users