22 replies to this topic

#1 Haz

Haz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1264 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 12:19 PM

Finally booked my Edinburgh shows for next week this morning.

Have booked for Miss Sign-On, Jet Set Go, Only The Brave, Three Ladies Three Whores and an Unexpected Guest, Showstopper, Zanna Don't, A History of Scotland, I Love You You're Perfect Now Change, Perfect Pitch and Departure Lounge.

Also hoping to fit in Big Bruvva, Potted Potter and a couple of bits at the Book Festival when that kicks off.

What has everyone else got planned?
whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should

http://curtain-up.blogspot.com/

#2 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2008 - 10:18 PM

Market Boy by David Eldridge

#3 Guest_davina_*

Guest_davina_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2008 - 07:45 PM

QUOTE(Haz @ Aug 1 2008, 12:19 PM) View Post
Finally booked my Edinburgh shows for next week this morning.

Have booked for Miss Sign-On, Jet Set Go, Only The Brave, Three Ladies Three Whores and an Unexpected Guest, Showstopper, Zanna Don't, A History of Scotland, I Love You You're Perfect Now Change, Perfect Pitch and Departure Lounge.

Also hoping to fit in Big Bruvva, Potted Potter and a couple of bits at the Book Festival when that kicks off.

What has everyone else got planned?

saw jet set go this afternoon   bloody brilliant  !

#4 Alison

Alison

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 09:48 AM

I saw the first performance of Only the Brave on Thursday and really enjoyed it.  The show definitely has potential, although it felt a bit rushed in placed - it needs longer than a 75 minute Fringe show, really.  Some memorable music (with only a few slightly dodgy lyrics in there).

I'm hoping to see Departure Lounge this week, and want to see Miss Sign-On and Zanna Don't at some point.  And Mathilde when it's on.

#5 Haz

Haz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1264 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 01:40 PM

QUOTE(Alison @ Aug 4 2008, 10:48 AM) View Post
And Mathilde when it's on.

Oooh, no. Gary Sefton's direction of it at Central was lovely, and there were some strong performances but doesn't change the fact that the material is still a bit, well, rubbish.

I'm sure it'll pull in the punters because of the cast they've attached to it but you couldn't pay me to sit through it again.

#6 josh

josh

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 741 posts
  • Interests:theatre, movies, actors, acting, directing

Posted 04 August 2008 - 03:34 PM

I was surprised at how much I liked the music in Only the Brave. Shame about Niamh and Keith but they are both only wee so I won't say too much about them. It also feels more like a short story in musical form than the epic it thinks it is. But I did enjoy it.

I loved The Great American Trailer Park Musical, Boys of the Empire and What's Wrong With Angry, all at C venues.

Saw Titus Andronicus at C last night which was quite not but good great.

Looking forward to seeing Assassins and Songs for a New World. And Departure Lounge and Mathilde. And probably some things wot aren't musicals as well.
He used to call me Blue Roses.

#7 Guest_Guest_xxJuliexx_*_*

Guest_Guest_xxJuliexx_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2008 - 11:32 AM

Im going to see Mathilde (Can't wait to see Sarah Lark in it) and Only The Brave.

#8 Guest_simon_*

Guest_simon_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2008 - 10:00 PM

QUOTE(josh @ Aug 4 2008, 03:34 PM) View Post
I was surprised at how much I liked the music in Only the Brave. Shame about Niamh and Keith but they are both only wee so I won't say too much about them. It also feels more like a short story in musical form than the epic it thinks it is. But I did enjoy it.

I loved The Great American Trailer Park Musical, Boys of the Empire and What's Wrong With Angry, all at C venues.

Saw Titus Andronicus at C last night which was quite not but good great.

Looking forward to seeing Assassins and Songs for a New World. And Departure Lounge and Mathilde. And probably some things wot aren't musicals as well.

Try titus at eca much bloodier and cinematic

#9 josh

josh

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 741 posts
  • Interests:theatre, movies, actors, acting, directing

Posted 10 August 2008 - 03:17 PM

Departure Lounge is great. The cast is absolutely fantastic.
He used to call me Blue Roses.

#10 Haz

Haz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1264 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 11:20 AM

Thus far -

Miss Sign-On:
Music is instantly forgettable and I struggled with some of the characters, but if you work in (or just have very good knowledge of) theatre, then the jokes will ring very true and it's a good giggle.

Jet Set Go:
Hilaaaarious. Lots of room for character development but such a fun, fun, fun way to spend a couple of hours. Give the comparative inexperience of the cast, they are more than holding their own at George Square and completely deserved the 5* review in Three Weeks.

Departure Lounge:
SEE THIS SHOW. I defy you not to belly laugh at least once.

Only The Brave:
Completely underwhelmed. Trying too hard to be Les Mis. The 'epic love story' that they are trailing between Keith and Niamh is about as epic as an episode of The Simpsons. Some nice music - the song with the women typing the messages is lovely - but the book is dreadful as there is just no story and I am really struggling to see why there's so much hype.

Showstopper, The Improvised Musical:
Was fortunate enough to have booked for this on a night when they announced Mike McShane would be appearing. FANTASTIC. There is clearly a formula, but the humour is intelligent and very funny. We wound up with a show about remorse, featuring songs in the style of Disney, Starlighg Express, Bombay Dreams, Blood Brothers andf an irish folk song. Fabulous.

Sa-Choom:
The 'dancical' at George Square. I was slightly disappointed as I'd heard SUCH good things about it and it didn't quite live up to my expectations (perhaps because it wasn't a very lively audience) but still very entertaining.

A History of Scotland (in 60 minutes or less):
Great fun if you're 7. All the kids seemed to love it but the humour was very childlike.

Zanna Don't!:
So camp it hurts, but fantastic fun. Make really good use of the space, but I do wonder if it's telling that the show is completely stolen by a little blue bird...

The Jonah Boy:
Too lovely for words, and very touching. The lead guy is fabulous and worth the ticket price alone.

Seeing I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change (which is in rep with Jet Set Go) this afternoon, the Perfect Pitch concert tonight and then Departure Lounge again this evening and then heading home tomorrow. Feel like I have been here a year and a half and could quite happily stay much longer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users