• This topic is locked This topic is locked
22 replies to this topic

#11 Ian

Ian

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 823 posts
  • Interests:Theatre, cats and photography principally.

Posted 11 August 2008 - 11:39 AM

QUOTE(Haz @ Aug 11 2008, 12:20 PM) View Post
The Jonah Boy:
Too lovely for words, and very touching. The lead guy is fabulous and worth the ticket price alone.

Is this the musical by Richard Taylor and Jane Buckler which premièred in Scarborough (a staged workshop) a few years ago?  The body of a whale is washed up on a beach ..... The music was beautiful but the book needed a bit of work then.

If it is then it is good to see it progressing with further productions!
The engine roared, the motor hissed,
And who could see that the road would twist

#12 josh

josh

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 741 posts
  • Interests:theatre, movies, actors, acting, directing

Posted 11 August 2008 - 01:38 PM

Haz - I have sent you a private message.
He used to call me — Blue Roses.

#13 David

David

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 01:54 PM

QUOTE(Haz @ Aug 11 2008, 12:20 PM) View Post
Showstopper, The Improvised Musical:
Was fortunate enough to have booked for this on a night when they announced Mike McShane would be appearing. FANTASTIC. There is clearly a formula, but the humour is intelligent and very funny. We wound up with a show about remorse, featuring songs in the style of Disney, Starlighg Express, Bombay Dreams, Blood Brothers andf an irish folk song. Fabulous.

Sounds fantastic. McShane was always, alongside Lawrence, the best musical improviser on WLIIA.

#14 Haz

Haz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1264 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 03:59 PM

QUOTE(Ian @ Aug 11 2008, 12:39 PM) View Post
Is this the musical by Richard Taylor and Jane Buckler which premièred in Scarborough (a staged workshop) a few years ago?  The body of a whale is washed up on a beach ..... The music was beautiful but the book needed a bit of work then.

Yes, the same. Obviously don't know how much work has been done on it since then. The book still needs some work but the music really is lovely.

whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should

http://curtain-up.blogspot.com/

#15 Guest_Guest_mtmad_*_*

Guest_Guest_mtmad_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2008 - 04:57 PM

Mathilde is going to be fab I saw the lamda production and it was great but now frances ruffelle is playing mathilde it gona be amazing.

#16 Haz

Haz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1264 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 07:18 PM

When did LAMDA do Mathilde?

Saw I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change yesterday (Take Note's production). I don't think it's as strong as Jet Set Go, but highlighted nicely the strengths of some of the cast. They were pretty packed out for that too.

The Perfect Pitch concert was fabulous and really well received, which was great to see. Strong vocals across the board and some awesome new material - Tickledom sounds fantastic! They got a good number of bums on seats and everyone came out talking very positively...

...and a lot of them wandered along to George 4 for Departure Lounge last night too. Nearly full and the best show they've done so far. Getting tighter and tighter with each show - only wish I could see it again towards the end of the run!
whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should

http://curtain-up.blogspot.com/

#17 rona910

rona910

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 07:42 PM

QUOTE(Haz @ Aug 1 2008, 01:19 PM) View Post
Also hoping to fit in Big Bruvva, Potted Potter and a couple of bits at the Book Festival when that kicks off.

I went to see Potted Potter last year, expecting to be surrounded by 5 year olds, but there was actually more adults (without children) than kids, and understandably - it was FANTASTIC. If you're up for a bit of light hearted fun (I went the day after seeing Fuerzabruta as a kind of antidote) then it's just brilliant. Absolutely hilarious! Fuerzabruta was excellent as well I should point out, but in a VERY different way.

#18 Biddy

Biddy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 12:03 AM

I've never read or seen any Harry Potter (and am quite an Old Biddy!) -
might 'Potted Potter' suit me, or would I find it incomprehensible?

(I can't get up to Edinburgh this year, but I think Potted Potter might come near here again.)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm very pleased to hear Tickledom impressed: that originated here in Cardiff.

Tickledom and Only The Brave were both composed by Matt Brind.

#19 rona910

rona910

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 12:19 PM

QUOTE(Biddy @ Aug 13 2008, 01:03 AM) View Post
I've never read or seen any Harry Potter (and am quite an Old Biddy!) -
might 'Potted Potter' suit me, or would I find it incomprehensible?

(I can't get up to Edinburgh this year, but I think Potted Potter might come near here again.)

My brother (26 - not quite an "Old Biddy"?!) went last year having read only one Harry Potter book and he enjoyed it. Obviously there are a few in jokes but it was still good fun!

#20 Aranel

Aranel

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 10:08 PM

Wish I'd had more time up there - so much more I wanted to see!!

Managed to fit in -

Only The Brave - like the music but the storyline suffered from being cut down so much. CJ outshone everyone. Wasn't impressed at all by Keith - he couldn't hit half his notes and his acting was childlike. Niamh was ok (apart from very dodgy and changeable accents!) but it does show that she's young. Needs work but the score alone makes it promising.

Pam Ann - The Austrailian AirStewardess Comidienne. I like her interaction with the audience but most of her material was stuff I'd heard before (and I've only ever watched one dvd of her). She obviously has limited material

Zanna Don't - Very good college production. I'm glad I've seen this performed having had the soundtrack for a while now. It's always nice to put a full story to the songs! The cast were good apart from one male who has one of the nicest solos in the show but was clearly more of an actor than a singer!

Apocolypse The Musical - last minute choice to fill in a gap. Wish I hadn't of bothered! If it weren't for our silly choice of seats in the middle of the row we would have left after half an hour. I'm not sure who gave them the 'rave reviews' 3 years ago but they obviously don't share my opinion of what makes a good musical. This was just weird with a not great soundtrack. Some of the actors were ok, verging on good.....just a shame about their roles!!!

The Great American Trailer Park - Brilliant!! Very funny with good songs and incredible cast. Glad we saved it till last, especially to wipe away the taste of Apocalypse!!! Well worth catching.

I wish I'd seen Departure Lounge and in hindsight I would have dropped Pam Ann but that was my flatmate's choice and I'd dragged him to Only The Brave so had to let him pick one!! Oh well, I'm sure the Ed Fringe is not the end of DL, especially after the reviews it's had this year.
Overall I loved it up there. It was my first Fringe experience but I shall definitely be repeating it next year!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users