64 replies to this topic

#41 MusicalTalk

MusicalTalk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 05:28 PM

Maybe it shows that through a big issue (such as 9/11) different races in the melting-pot that is the USA (most specifically, New York City) can get along... which is, as we all know, what the piece is about.  

Here is our review

MusicalTalk - The UK's Musical Theatre Podcast
http://www.musicaltalk.co.uk

#42 Jamie Kenny

Jamie Kenny

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 07:28 PM

Can someone tell me where the stage door is?

#43 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 09:50 AM

Fourth tree from the left on the south side.
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

#44 Reich

Reich

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1022 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 10:08 AM

I went the other night and I found it to be brilliant. My party and I all understood it perfectly (and only I had seen it before). This was my third time seeing it (Piccadilly & Landor) and this is the best by far.

The cast are top-notch, with so much individual characterisation going on

I think the press have been very unfair.

Broadway has been very good to me. But then, I've been very good to broadway.

#45 RH1234

RH1234

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 06:18 PM

Any offers around for this?

#46 Jamie Kenny

Jamie Kenny

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 11:42 PM

Got to see this last Wednesday and thought it was fantastic and many times, thrilling. I especially loved the final 20 minutes with the scenes in the Morgan Library. Rosalie Craig (Mother) Tamsin Carroll (Emma Goldman) Harry Hepple (Younger Brother) Claudia Kariuki (Sarah) and Sophie Nomvete (Booker T. Washington) were the stand outs for me. I really liked the concept though sometimes felt the choreography was a tad repetetive.  Very enjoyable night at the theatre.

#47 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3745 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:43 AM

I was hoping to see this tomorrow evening, but the weather does not look too promising!

#48 savethekakapo

savethekakapo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:07 AM

To start with  I hate to be negative but the set is VILE and overpowering and it's only when the evening progresses and  darkness descends that it can start to be ignored.  Having seen the Original Broadway production, the Piccadilly West End production, the Landor production and an amateur production at the Grand in Leeds I enjoyed the Open Air production the least.

Some of the cast were good ( Rosalie Craig- although no rival to either Marin Mazzie or Maria Friedman) some were bad but most were ok.

I love this show and find it genuinely moving but not this production.
Most recent theatre:July = Chariots of Fire, Richard III, Country Wife, Mack and Mabel, Physicists. JUNE = What the Butler Saw, Collaborators, Posh, The Thing About Men, Torch song Trilogy, Lillies, Duchess of Malfi, Jekyll and Hyde, Mystery of Edwin Drood. MAY = Ragtime, Antigone, Wild Swans, Tale of Two Cities. APRIL = Salena Jones, The Glorious Ones, Drugstore, Steps, After Miss Julie. MARCH = Floyd Collins, Bingo, Wizard of Oz. FEBRUARY = Hayfever, Singing in the Rain, Masterclass, Sleeping with Straight Men, Ladykillers. JANUARY = After the Turn, Children of Eden, She Stoops to Conquer, Crazy For You, Backbeat, Rock of Ages, Shrek, Matilda, A Round-Heeled Woman. 2011 DECEMBER = Reason To Be Pretty, Pippin. NOVEMBER = Goodbye Barcelona, How the World Began, Juno and the Paycock, Britanicus, Kill Bill, Railway Children. OCTOBER = Driving Miss Daisy, Sweeney Todd, South Downs & Browning Version! Decade, Conquer, Crazy for You, Backbeat, Rock of Ages, Baker's Wife, Sweeney Todd, South Downs & Browning Version, Decade and My City.

#49 cat123

cat123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3354 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 10:14 AM

I loved the Landor production last year and I love the score, but as time wears on I'm less and less eager to see this...

#50 Front Row Dress

Front Row Dress

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 10:10 AM

I know it's late in the day, but I was waiting until there was a guarantee of good weather before venturing into the park. I do agree with most of the comments about the post apocolyptic bookends, it really does just feel like being clever for its own sake. It also takes an age, almost the entire first act, before the whole cast are finally in period dress, and yes the female Booker T and the black grandfather do jar in a piece that is so rooted in cultural identity and gender issues. Beautifully sung and acted though and I loved Rolan Bell as Coalhouse. There's more on my blog if you're interested http://www.frontrowd...ir-theatre.html
www.frontrowdress.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users