• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#51 mr temp

mr temp

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 11:12 AM

It's a combination of both, interesting idea, it's originally set in a kind of contemporary American dystopia, then that's a frame for looking back at American history --> segway to Ragtime. I thought it was great, some wonderful performances.

Their videos might give you more of an idea of what I'm talking about http://openairtheatr...backstage-pass/

#52 mr temp

mr temp

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 11:13 AM

p.s. I wouldn't say weather's an issue, we saw it with a bit of drizzle and it actually added to the melancholy of it all, just bring a raincoat in case!

#53 Jamiem

Jamiem

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 08:47 PM

I wonder if regents park are running out of ideas as well as cash?

#54 DeNada

DeNada

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 11:44 AM

View PostJamiem, on 08 August 2012 - 08:47 PM, said:

I wonder if regents park are running out of ideas as well as cash?

Where do you get the idea they're running out of cash?  Each season reportedly breaks the theatre's record for box office takings (no idea about this year) so that would surprise me.

#55 Jamiem

Jamiem

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 06:41 PM

And their profit and loss accounts excluding catering?

#56 DeNada

DeNada

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 11:03 PM

View PostJamiem, on 09 August 2012 - 06:41 PM, said:

And their profit and loss accounts excluding catering?

Their accounts for 2010 are freely available through the Charities Commission website.  This indicates a surplus of at least £400,000 at the end of the season for Regents Park Theatre Ltd. with similar figures being reported over the previous years.

Obviously I have no idea whether they've been hit badly by Crazy For You's transfer or what current figures are like given the poor Summer and the Olympics (and mixed reactions to this year's shows).  If I DID have any idea, I wouldn't be posting anything about it on Whatsonstage.  But unless it's gone spectacularly wrong for them I wouldn't have any reason to think Regents Park are "running out of cash" other than the fact that you clearly have links to indiscreet people and have no qualms about posting what they tell you.

#57 Jamiem

Jamiem

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 05:59 AM

View PostDeNada, on 09 August 2012 - 11:03 PM, said:

Their accounts for 2010 are freely available through the Charities Commission website.  This indicates a surplus of at least £400,000 at the end of the season for Regents Park Theatre Ltd. with similar figures being reported over the previous years.

Obviously I have no idea whether they've been hit badly by Crazy For You's transfer or what current figures are like given the poor Summer and the Olympics (and mixed reactions to this year's shows).  If I DID have any idea, I wouldn't be posting anything about it on Whatsonstage.  But unless it's gone spectacularly wrong for them I wouldn't have any reason to think Regents Park are "running out of cash" other than the fact that you clearly have links to indiscreet people and have no qualms about posting what they tell you.

Let's wait and see

#58 Boob

Boob

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 07:06 AM

I don't think the theatre itself was financially involved in the West End transfer of Crazy for You.  Sensible move.  And very nice to see that they've re-invested some of that surplus into the theatre and surroundings.  The new box office looks great.

Back to Ragtime, I'm a huge fan of Tim Sheader as a director, but this doesn't seem to be a golden year for him.  Ragtime may have some utterly gorgeous songs, but structurally it's such a weak show that it can't take the conceptual bashing that Sheader gives it.  In fact, it's not even a bashing - just an over-reliance on an interesting but unsustainable/misguided vision and direction which is as vague and confusing as some of the characters' emotions.

Let's see what they do with The Sound of Music next year...

#59 Alf

Alf

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 05:27 PM

Just out of interest, how much are programmes for this??
My occasionally neglected theatre blog: http://thegreatestof...blogspot.co.uk/
Latest post: Review: 'Blithe Spirit' at the Gielgud Theatre: http://thegreatestof...theatre_10.html

#60 Jamie Kenny

Jamie Kenny

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 05:49 PM

£5 but they include cast listings/rehearsal photos etc for Ragtime and Midsummers Night Dream as well as the understudy lists

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users