182 replies to this topic

#171 pastaeater

pastaeater

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 06:42 PM

View PostCaityGlinda, on 08 April 2012 - 11:00 AM, said:

<br />Also, Allyson Brown who played Fantine in Les Mis a few years ago auditioned last night and didn't get through!<br />
<br /><br /><br />

I thought it was her! She was playing Fantine the first time I saw Les Mis and she was pretty awful - she didn't seem to have any real enthusiasm for the part and was just dragging herself through the scenes...however, I thought she did a good audition last night and was sorry not to see her go through.

#172 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3359 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 07:12 PM

I didn't think Nathan James was as good or distinctive as he clearly thought he was. It would be great to get a rock voice on the show though

#173 Musicals1248

Musicals1248

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 12:07 PM

I thought he was very good. More shocked he didn't get picked than Kerry, but as you said Titan he clearly thought he would get picked no problem!

#174 Michael H

Michael H

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 11:09 PM

Does anyone else remember Benjamin Lake from Jerry Springer The Opera?  Bit of a surprise to see his name in reports about The Voice.
Me is directing again - Private Peaceful at the Charles Cryer Theatre, Carshalton, 23 to 26 April 2014.

#175 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3359 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 06:00 AM

He was very good and of all the musical theatre people gave the beat performance. Shame he didn't get through

#176 QuincyMD

QuincyMD

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 06:35 AM

Recognised Ben Lake as soon as I saw him, he was far too operatic to get through.
Which way did he go McGill?

#177 Aranel

Aranel

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:08 PM

I'm not sure I really understand the concept of The Voice.

They claim to be looking for 'THE Voice'. But clearly THE voice has to fit into their own preferred style of music and be something they believe they can work with. So really it's not THE Voice at all!!!

Ben Lake is prime example of this. Excellent singer....they all said so.  Undeniably better than many of those already put through. But 'not what they're looking for at this time'.
Basically if you sing a song by Tom Jones or Jessie J, etc then they're more likely to turn round for you. If you've actually got some talent but don't fit into their narrow pigeonhole, you can't be THE voice, no matter how good you are!!!

BTW, have ANY musical theatre stars gone through yet? Why have they bothered inviting them all to audition?!!

#178 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3359 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:19 PM

Well that's not really fair. There is no definition of what a voice is. there are too many different styles of voices to be just one.  Ben is a very good singer in the opera style, that's one style of voice. He is no better or worse than anyone else that went through, just different. The ability to belt out a song does not make you better than everyone else or mean that you have a unique talent

As for "bothering to audition", that's like saying why did they bother to interview you for a job. Just because you gt the chance to audition doesn't mean you are going to get through.

#179 poster J

poster J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1014 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:21 PM

It makes perfect sense for the judges to choose people they feel they can work with and help, otherwise their expertise won't be any use and the person will struggle.  It's naturally going to lead to them picking someone they have something musically in common with.

The only thing that annoyed me was them picking someone who'd sung their song - I think they should have banned any songs that were written or sung by any of the judges for the blind auditions.

Operatic and theatre singers were never going to have a look-in, so they would have been better off having a judge who bridges the theatre/popular music worlds.

#180 Aranel

Aranel

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 03:05 PM

View Postposter J, on 15 April 2012 - 02:21 PM, said:

Operatic and theatre singers were never going to have a look-in, so they would have been better off having a judge who bridges the theatre/popular music worlds.

Exactly....that's what I meant.....everyone on the show has been invited to audition so why did they invite all those West end people who didn't really stand a chance of getting through? It almost makes it look like they're not actually very good singers, when obviously we know they are.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users