65 replies to this topic

#11 Boob

Boob

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 11:58 AM

Surprised we haven't heard a whisper from the first previews yet on here.  Baz Bamigboye says "I saw the first preview, so director Nicholas Hytner was still tweaking, but all will be spot-on by the first night on Wednesday. Bennett is a genius. There was talk of this being his last play — but I, for one,  jolly well hope it’s not."

#12 fringefan

fringefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 12:06 PM

Maybe no-one could get a ticket!  I certainly couldn't and have kept checking back in vain...

#13 Boob

Boob

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 12:18 PM

View Postfringefan, on 02 November 2012 - 12:06 PM, said:

Maybe no-one could get a ticket!  I certainly couldn't and have kept checking back in vain...

Ha ha!  I'd expect to hear more reports from a sell out but, as it stands, the half-empty Damned by Despair is creating much more buzz on here.

#14 hotshot

hotshot

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 09:50 PM

Managed to get a ticket to see the 2nd preview the night before (Very lucky).

Having read that it was about the National Trust it was interesting to see how the play would treat it.

The first half set the play up well although i have to admit that it was slow at points. In certain scenes I felt that it could be shortenedd drastically and still get the same point across / background.

The second half is where the magic begins. It was fun, poignant and also brings the key message home well. Audience reaction was good but it wasn't exactly a "jump out of your seat" reaction.

Still I was pretty entertained and happy I managed to get a seat for a sold out play. Managed to get a ticket for The Effect next week yesterday so my luck seems to be going well!!

#15 jaqs

jaqs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 10:48 PM

Didn't realise it was a hot ticket, was a straight forward booking for me.
Lovely set, fabulous performances from the women but it drags and descends into lectures far too often.
The fun diversion was amusing sat at the back could see who was angling for a better view.

Overall I wished the interesting characters were in a more interesting piece.

#16 Theatresquirrel

Theatresquirrel

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 12:41 AM

Completely disagree with hotshot.

The first half is among, if not surpassing, the best things Bennett's ever written. I was riveted. It's incredibly clever, wry, tearfully funny, and - as ever - he flings out profundity as if it were casual asides.

The second half is far, far broader and while indisputably funny, never quite as touching or subtle.

I'll leave it at that, and leave you all to enjoy what is, as always, grandstand entertainment. But don't dismiss the quietude and reflection of the first half as preamble; it's all there. Even just a few hours afterwards, I'm pretty convinced that the first half especially will go down as vintage Bennett. The second half may split your seams but you could survive a whole winter on the nutritious pickings on Act One.

#17 Frieda

Frieda

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 06:15 PM

Hi, I've been lurking for some time and thought I'd post.

IMHO, the acting, set and ideas were very good --- but the script ... Everybody said exactly what they felt and the different ideas and styles (moved between comedy drama and farce) were clumsily shovelled in and jokes were over milked. The actors and direction did the best they could with it. If someone had told me it was actually an inexperienced writer trying to imitate Alan Bennett, I would have believed them! Having said that, it wasn't boring because the acting and ideas and staging had merit and there was a story. I, like many others, like Alan Bennett's plays but this felt like ersatz Bennett (which strangely enough reflected the themes of the play without wanting to do a spoiler!). I am forced to say, in the interests of fairness, it got a standing ovation and I heard people around me pronounce it 'hilarious'. Did occur to me it might work a lot better on screen and imo there were shades of Richard Curtis. Might even make a sitcom!

#18 Latecomer

Latecomer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1662 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 07:17 PM

Welcome Frieda! B)

#19 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3741 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:16 PM

Interval atm- loving it. A right laff.

#20 Frieda

Frieda

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 09:02 PM

Thanks Latecomer!  Looks like I veer more to jaqs's point of view but different strokes for different folks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users