65 replies to this topic

#41 Abby

Abby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:49 AM

Perhaps I’m going through a benevolent phase, because I really liked this; the performances were superb and it was entertaining, sometimes touching and absorbing, largely well-written and well directed, the set was effective – all in all, a strong production. Some bits were cartoonish and I felt slightly hectored in places, but far less so than in The Habit of Art, which mostly felt like a Bennett hobby horse to me. I also found the subject very interesting, and a few of the lines skewered our tendency to revere a certain type of history in a very clever and funny way.

#42 Alexandra

Alexandra

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1779 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:09 PM

View PostHonoured Guest, on 06 January 2013 - 11:42 AM, said:

So, the friends of Thora have turned on their guru. Still, I'm sure that Alan Bennett liked it. Sorry to hear he's not in yoiur supper circle.

Meow.

Oh God, I'm feeling tempted by this. I got tempted by Habit of Art and regretted it, But Abby preferred it to HOA. Hmmm.

#43 Abby

Abby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:23 PM

View PostAlexandra, on 07 January 2013 - 12:09 PM, said:

Oh God, I'm feeling tempted by this. I got tempted by Habit of Art and regretted it, But Abby preferred it to HOA. Hmmm.

I came out of HOA feeling like I'd been constantly slapped round the head with Bennett's many opinions as with a wet kipper. I didn't so much with People though there's still a bit of that. Overall I really like AB's writing, and even found HOA entertaining to a certain extent - I wouldn't want to sell you a dud if that's not the case for you!

#44 Alexandra

Alexandra

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1779 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:06 PM

No, I think my objections to HOA were different. I'l stick with my guts and avoid it I think. I'm sure Mr B will be heartbroken by that. ;)

#45 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1240 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:22 PM

View PostLynette, on 06 January 2013 - 12:47 AM, said:

Dinner party chat tonight ( yes some people still give them and yes I do get invited) was that People is very disappointing and drawn out. I don't know anyone who liked it. I expect they will think twice before giving Bennett free rein next time. It's a gift, knowing when to stop.

The person who needs to know when to stop is Nicholas Hytner, he is the one who chooses to stage everything Bennett writes just as David Hare had free rein under Richard Eyre. Wasn't Hytner's contract meant to be up in 2013 ? The NT 50th anniversary is October 2013, I assume he'll hang around for that at least but really it's time for a new broom - I wonder what they'll do for the 50th anniversary ? Maybe bring back the former directors for a season, Pete Hall can direct Uncle Vanya, Trev can direct Henry VI.

#46 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2542 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:35 PM

I'd hope they'd look forward to the future rather than backward to their past. The October 2013 anniversary would best be unobserved with the Cottesloe closed for the NT Future redevelopment. We'll hear this year's plans in the next two or three weeks.

#47 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5150 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:00 PM

View PostAlexandra, on 07 January 2013 - 12:09 PM, said:

Meow.

Maybe you should go, then you can join my supper circle. ;-))

#48 fringefan

fringefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:27 PM

I'm just hoping I can sit through it all, having left HOA at the interval.  In fact, my hope for the new theatregoing year is that there'll be far fewer such occasions, as 2012 was my worst year ever in that respect.

#49 Front Row Dress

Front Row Dress

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:05 PM

I liked this much better than many of the other poster's on here. Yes it's safe, cosy and preaching to the converted, but Bennett is  to be applauded for still producing work of this quality when so many others would be sinking into the fug of dotage. The silver Sunday matinee audience lapped it up. Full report on the blog http://www.frontrowd...-6-january.html
www.frontrowdress.com

#50 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5150 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:50 PM

View Postfringefan, on 07 January 2013 - 05:27 PM, said:

I'm just hoping I can sit through it all, having left HOA at the interval.  In fact, my hope for the new theatregoing year is that there'll be far fewer such occasions, as 2012 was my worst year ever in that respect.
Best bit at the end with set..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users