• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#31 Finborough Theatre

Finborough Theatre

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 11:11 PM

The programme for S27 at the Finborough was a playscript and should be on sale from Amazon or through the link on our website etc

#32 uktheatrejunkie

uktheatrejunkie

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 03:54 AM

There appears to be the same question asked over and over: Why didn't I buy the programmes at the time.

Because.... 23 years ago when I fell into Brit theatre I had no idea I was going to make 33 trips in the future (to date at present). I was backpacking around Great Britain and it was  (as you Brits say) "the penny dropped".

Even over the years coming back time after time I was enjoying the productions and as I was on a tight budget (don't forget airfare and accommodation and eating out daily) I wanted to see as many productions as possible. Hence something had to give and that was programmes.

I actually started collecting posters about 4 years ago and have about 350 of my almost 600 productions to date on those.

And to clarify the exact programme (and poster) for the exact date of my seeing the play; what I mean by this is the same cast during that time period. Productions such as Les Mis, Miss Saigon, the 39 Steps, etc. run for years and the cast changes. I want to ensure that the programme I get for any play/musical has the cast I saw in it.

So I hope that clarifies things.

I have no idea if my dream of at theatre gallery will ever happen but one can always dream.

As for getting programmes on visits in the future... yes; that started with my Christmas trip last month: 18 plays in 9 days = 18 programmes.

View PostLynette, on 22 January 2012 - 02:48 PM, said:

Confused by the date thing - surely mean a programme from the same run as you say not the exact same date you saw the piece? All the progs from a run will be the same unless there is a cast change.

Confused by the intention of the museum: why now, why what you haev seen only, how will this be interesting to the general public?

Totally confused why you didn't buy the programmes at the time. I thought it was a just a few when you began this thread in order to complete a collection but it looks like you want a total collection.

But happy to see this come to fruition; my own collection looking even less a space eater, more of a pension... :D

#33 uktheatrejunkie

uktheatrejunkie

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 01:24 AM

JT again (my thread); it's actually (and again this is just a dream at this stage) going to be a Brit theatre gallery and experience.

I plan to continue to make trips to the UK and see more plays; each of those will be added to the current close to 600 seen in the past 23 years. Currently (and this is only in the last couple of years ... I average 2 plays per day: sometime in different cities). Hey; some people drink, some smoke crack: I do Brit theatre... and it's just as expensive.

I have about 350 posters and close to 200-250 programmes (waiting for an order of 60 to come next month). This all from about 128 different theatres in the UK.

The "gallery" will be a timeline of plays showcased by the posters, programmes and hand written journals I have kept from day 1 in 1989. The journals have become more elaborate over the years but I do have about 99% of the 600 tickets.

I plan to have a Shakespeare room, National Theatre room, Spotlight on Who ever room (to change monthly).... even a Coronation street alumni room (trust me; they do get around). I have a lot more ideas for displays, video screens but again.... this is all a dream until I win the lottery or some big name Brit theatre star decides to read this and become a patron.

So; enough talk; where are the people who want to sell me some of the programmes I am looking for????

View Postarmadillo, on 22 January 2012 - 08:20 PM, said:

But that's what I don't understand, Inspector. Why would Canadians be interested in British theatre programmes?  :blink:  Call be insular but I wouldn't be interested in Canadian ones.

#34 cat123

cat123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3357 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 07:05 PM

Can I add a cheeky request of my own to this? The only show I have seen and do not have a programme for is Saturday Night Fever at the Apollo Victoria. I forget what year it was but Rachael Wooding was in the cast (I believe)

Long shot, I know...

#35 Vicky

Vicky

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 07:58 PM

Cat that would have been July 2005 to Feb 2006.

I have 2 programmes for that cast - but one has Sean Mulligan as Tony, the other Adam Jon Fiorentino as Tony - however they are both signed so don't want to part with them.

Hopefully the dates will help you out a bit....

#36 Olly 2288

Olly 2288

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Interests:Writing, film, photography, theatre, Joss Whedon.

Posted 06 February 2012 - 01:44 AM

Britain is renowned for having some of the best theatre in the world. It is really not that out of the ordinary for a fan at the other side of the world to decide at some point in life that they enjoy collecting theatre memorabilia. It's not an obsession instilled from birth, it's something we develop and invest more money and time in to as we get older. It's nothing to do with being inclusive or exclusive, and it is it not too difficult to comprehend! Canadian, Bulgarian, Australian, Italian - everyone is free to love and collect memorabilia from Brit theatre...
When Harry Met Sally (Theatre Royal Haymarket, 2005), Some Girls (Gieldgud, 2005), Billy Elliot (Victoria Palace, 2006), Much Ado About Nothing (The Globe, 2006), Metamorphosis (Lyric, 2006), Awake and Sing! (Almeida, 2007), The Lion King (Lyceum, 2009), Antony and Cleopatra (Liverpool Playhouse, 2010), The Children's Hour (Comedy Theatre, 2011), In A Forest Dark And Deep (Vaudeville, 2011), Gross und Klein (Barbican, 2012)

#37 cat123

cat123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3357 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 11:08 AM

View PostVicky, on 05 February 2012 - 07:58 PM, said:

Cat that would have been July 2005 to Feb 2006.

I have 2 programmes for that cast - but one has Sean Mulligan as Tony, the other Adam Jon Fiorentino as Tony - however they are both signed so don't want to part with them.

Hopefully the dates will help you out a bit....

Thanks for the info :) I dug my ticket out, I saw it September 2005. Could you possibly message me a cast list? I'd like to know who I saw (unless there were understudies of course!) even if I can't get hold of a programme.

#38 REC-BH

REC-BH

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 03:31 PM

My wife hasinherited about 850 mostly London theatre programmes in the range 1980s to2010. The majority of these include the ticket and newspaper reviews.

I’ve sortedthem into theatres as below with the number of programmes for each:

Barbican64, BOC Covent Garden 8, British Museum 1, Capel Manor 1, Comedy 17, Criterion2, Dominion 1, Donmar 26, Duchess 1, Duke of Yorks 2, ENO 123, Garrick 6,Gielgud 4, Globe 54, Grand Theatre Leeds 1, Liyuan- Beijing Opera 1, Lyric 2,NT 246, Old/Young Vic 15, Picadilly 5, Piccadilly 1, Playhouse 5, Prince ofWales 1, Queen Elizabeth Hall 3, Queen's 5, Regents Park 12, Rigas Opera -Latvia 1, Royal Court 2, Royal Opera 53, RSC 102, RSC Pit 8, Sadlers Wells 21,Savoy 3, Shaftsbury 1, Strand 4, The Venue 1, Theatre de Complicite 2, TheatreRoyal Haymarket 8, Trafalgar Studios 1, Vauderville 7, Whitehall 3, Wyndhamms9.

In a quicklook at your first wanted list I found the following in the box of GlobeTheatre programmes:

As You Likeit – ticket dated 3 July 2009, plus review from The Times

Anne Boleyn– ticket dated 7 August 2010, plus reviews

King Lear –t ticket dated 13 July 2008, plus review from The Times

If you are interested in these, let me know. If youwould like me to sort through the other 11 boxes would it be possible toprovide a list sorted by theatre?

#39 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5142 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 11:06 PM

Cor impressive. And a medal for the sorting out.

#40 JonnyBoy

JonnyBoy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 11:36 PM

Great job!  I'm sure your efforts will be appreciated.  246 NT programmes -wow!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users