115 replies to this topic

#101 zahidf

zahidf

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:18 AM

Ages ago, but the Pain and the Itch should have transferred, and Tusk Tusk was very good.

#102 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2531 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:40 AM

View Postzahidf, on 05 December 2012 - 11:18 AM, said:

Ages ago, but the Pain and the Itch should have transferred, and Tusk Tusk was very good.

In the "old days", up until the early 1980s, that type of thoughtful and entertaining bourgeois new play would swiftly have had several subsequent productions in regional theatres around Britain. Unfortunately, that seldom happens now because there are so many fewer regional producing theatres and they each generally mount fewer new productions. Also, they mostly prefer to produce their own first productions of new plays and to present a much wider range of shows than just plays. Sheffield Theatres is a notable exception, with its own recent second productions of three Royal Court plays, That Face, The Pride and The Village Bike.

From what I've read about Jumpy and Bristol Old Vic's newly refurbished and reconfigured Theatre Royal, I'd love to see a new production of Jumpy on that stage.

#103 Latecomer

Latecomer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1667 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:43 PM

View PostHonoured Guest, on 05 December 2012 - 11:40 AM, said:

From what I've read about Jumpy and Bristol Old Vic's newly refurbished and reconfigured Theatre Royal, I'd love to see a new production of Jumpy on that stage.

Yes, that could be fun! :)

#104 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3754 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 10:08 PM

Just realised I haven't posted my views.

This was excellent. So so good. I can see why it's got the awards/praise it has. Was in 2nd row, which probably helped- front row is awful. Stay at home and read the script.

Sally Hawkins and Rafe Spall give two of the performances of the year. Spall, esp, felt so natural- it's as if he was speaking those words for the first time. Little glances to the audience. And what words- v funny.... laugh out loud. But it then gets increasingly moving. Balloons fall. Scenes get longer. And then we're back at the beginning.

Well worth the 3 1/2 hour wait in the cold.

Would've been interested to see it Upstairs at the RC. Did balloons fall then?

#105 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:36 AM

Just a sidebar, Rafe Spall is having a big year. Not only was he in Prometheus but he has quite a substantial role in The Life of Pi which is one of the greatest movies I have ever seen and a sure thing Oscar contender.
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

#106 toolsonparade

toolsonparade

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 04:02 PM

How early should I get there for day seats?

#107 Rooster Byron

Rooster Byron

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 04:14 PM

I don't remember balloons falling at the RC Upstairs.

#108 luce76

luce76

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:37 PM

My friend got there at 9:50 last Friday and we got seats. But as others have warned, I would definitely avoid the fornt row if at all possible. We laughed when we arrived at our seats because we just thought it was ridiculous that they were even selling them - the built up stage is RIGHT in front of your face. To be fair, when it started the view was slightly less awkward than we had first anticipated, but it definitely impacts on your enjoyment. If the play had been any longer I might have needed neck surgery. My friend said that the man in the box office made no mention of the front row being restricted view, which I think is wrong, however cheap they may be.

That gripe aside, I really enjoyed this. A quirkl, thought provoking idea in terms of the structure and very good performances from both actors. To jump so rapidly from one mood or emotion to the next must be very difficult to get right, but they pulled it off excellently.

#109 popcultureboy

popcultureboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 03:58 PM

My friend got there at 9:50 last Friday and we got seats

Well, things are picking up now. I queued for day seats on Monday this week and by 9am, the line was completely full. I got there at 7am, the next people arrived at 7:45am.

My friend said that the man in the box office made no mention of the front row being restricted view, which I think is wrong, however cheap they may be

There is a seating plan on each of the counters at the box office, and it has the front row marked as restricted view on them.

I absolutely LOVED the play. Gorgeous performances from and lovely chemistry between Spall and Hawkins. It can't be an easy play to perform.

#110 RH1234

RH1234

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:30 PM

Saw it tonight - a stunning piece of theatre. Beautiful! Could see it on Broadway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users