#21 smithers

smithers

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Interests:Theatre, film, music, politics

Posted 25 January 2012 - 12:52 PM

Seeing this on Saturday, really looking forward to it.
I do find the Royal Court booking shenanigans quite frustrating though - as a member I've never managed to get the £10 tickets. Now I just take advantage of the 'book everything at once and save a bit in the process', decided I'd rather take the risk of seeing a few dud shows than wait and miss something great.

#22 fringefan

fringefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 04:50 PM

Exactly my approach now, although the further away the performance, the harder it is to decide when to go.  Means booking for 6 months ahead in some cases.

#23 The Suburbanite

The Suburbanite

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 766 posts
  • Interests:Yes, indeed

Posted 26 January 2012 - 12:38 AM

View Postsmithers, on 25 January 2012 - 12:52 PM, said:

I do find the Royal Court booking shenanigans quite frustrating though - as a member I've never managed to get the £10 tickets.

But they said one of the main reasons for changing over to the current system was to "reward" members by giving them a much better chance of getting £10 Monday tickets, following feedback. Hasn't worked out for you?
Táim ag éalú ar ais

#24 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5139 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 12:42 AM

So is it 70 minutes or a whole magical evening? It would have to be very magical for me if it is just 70 minutes.

#25 smithers

smithers

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Interests:Theatre, film, music, politics

Posted 26 January 2012 - 08:40 AM

View PostThe Suburbanite, on 26 January 2012 - 12:38 AM, said:

But they said one of the main reasons for changing over to the current system was to "reward" members by giving them a much better chance of getting £10 Monday tickets, following feedback. Hasn't worked out for you?

Not as yet!

#26 macca

macca

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 09:50 AM

View PostLynette, on 26 January 2012 - 12:42 AM, said:

So is it 70 minutes or a whole magical evening? It would have to be very magical for me if it is just 70 minutes.

Magical and 70 minutes went together for me.  I am a great fan of plays which are under 90mins without an interval.I  This was a perfect compact package and on the back of this I'm off to see the new Nick Payne play at Hampstead in March.

#27 Polly1

Polly1

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 10:43 AM

View Postmacca, on 26 January 2012 - 09:50 AM, said:

Magical and 70 minutes went together for me.  I am a great fan of plays which are under 90mins without an interval.I  This was a perfect compact package and on the back of this I'm off to see the new Nick Payne play at Hampstead in March.

That's fine if you live in London but if you have an expensive train journey (and a trek from the other side of London to the Court) then anything under 90 mins seems a bit, well, measly. Having said that, I would really like to have seen this and I see his new play at Hampstead stars Susan Wooldridge, a very under-rated but superb actress. I'm sure this will be short too so perhaps they could put them both on a double bill in the WE? Here's hoping (but not very hopefully).

#28 The Suburbanite

The Suburbanite

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 766 posts
  • Interests:Yes, indeed

Posted 26 January 2012 - 10:51 AM

I'm always intrigued by discussions about play length. Something can be absolutely superb and less than an hour, or very dull and well over 2 hours. Doesn't the excellence of a "short" piece make that journey worthwhile?
Táim ag éalú ar ais

#29 Polly1

Polly1

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 11:13 AM

View PostThe Suburbanite, on 26 January 2012 - 10:51 AM, said:

I'm always intrigued by discussions about play length. Something can be absolutely superb and less than an hour, or very dull and well over 2 hours. Doesn't the excellence of a "short" piece make that journey worthwhile?

Yes, of course it does - I'm just cross because I didn't book in time for this  <_<

#30 fringefan

fringefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 08:33 PM

At least at Hampstead, where Nick Payne's new play will be in the Studio, the prices are more reasonable so it seems less unfair if a play is short.  I do feel short-changed if I pay the same price for a very short play as for a longer ("full-length", in my view) one. I know merit and length are separate issues and the latter doesn't determine the former, but if there was ever an argument for flexible pricing, this might be it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users