115 replies to this topic

#61 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2542 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 11:13 PM

We shall see. I trust the Royal Court. Didn't That Face transfer from the Jerwood Theatre Upstairs at the Royal Court to the Duke of York's, DanielWhit? And other productions have transferred from Upstairs to other West End theatres. Off the top of my head, I can think of Far Away, My Night with Reg, Death and the Maiden, Shopping and Fucking. And many transfers to the Downstairs theatre, which isn't big but is a very different stage and auditorium from Upstairs.

#62 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2096 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 06:38 AM

It's a great play but the in-the-round staging was responsible for a lot of the impact, I think.

Would have seemed better value to pair it up with another 60 minute upstairs play (eg Goodbye to All That) for a double bill like South Downs / Browning Version.
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#63 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:36 AM

Saw this last night at the Duke of York's.  It is a great play - I can't think of a two hander with more substance or more emotional impact.  Rafe Spall and, particularly, Sally Hawkins were wonderful.  I did not see it at the Royal Court but it plays very well on this larger stage.

But a word of warning.  For Day Seaters, DO NOT SIT IN THE FIRST ROW.  They are offering the first two rows but the difference between A and B is enormous.  The stage is on a platform considerably higher than any I've recently seen and also juts out toward the audience.   In row A you are looking, literally, straight up.  Thankfully, most of the action is right downstage so you see it all but the angle is acute.

To the theatre's credit Row A is listed as OBSTRUCTED VIEW.  It definitely is
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

#64 drmaplewood

drmaplewood

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:05 AM

Thanks for the warning, am going to day seat for this next week!

#65 zahidf

zahidf

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:21 AM

I saw this last week. Brilliant production, worth watching.

Got a Row B day seat, well worth it

#66 jaqs

jaqs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:24 AM

Thanks for the warning, will dayseat shortly.

#67 dude-1981

dude-1981

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 12:20 AM

Very interested to hear from those who saw it at the RC about changes to the text.  Looking through the published text, the line - Either I'm walking or.... appears I think 6 times.  And as I watched it last night I was thinking 'I'm sure there was a line that was repeated by the Sally Hawkins character several times that hasn't come up yet.'  And it now is only said once.

In addition to this, I'm sure there is more detail about the nature of her illness.  But forgive me if that is in the playtext and I have missed it and forgotten about it.

For what it's worth, I think the changes make it a better piece (written piece anyway, the staging is a different discussion.)
If, for some strange reason you care what I've seen, it's all here:

http://pcchan1981.livejournal.com/

#68 Beth

Beth

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 02:48 PM

Saw this yesterday, and yes, the front row is absurd - peggs and I could see no reason for the huge platform on top of the stage that jutted out over the front row, and if it were necessary, why it couldn't at least be lower and further back, so a thumbs down to the designer.  But if it's a choice of front row or not seeing it at all, I'd say go for the front row - there's a brief spell when you can't see either character, but most of the time they're standing near the front and it's just a weird angle to view them from.  At least you can see all the variations in expressions and subtle moments, things that might not be visible further back.

I was looking at the balloons at the end and (not really spoilery if you've read the premise of the play, but I'll use spoiler tags to be safe)
Spoiler

#69 peggs

peggs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 05:58 PM

Had to be my oddest expereince of watching a play, either looking straight up at actors looming over you, or slightly better on the neck just seeing their heads if they were further back or if they sat down just not seeing at all. As Beth said don't see what they couldn't push the staging back a bit, if this was a longer play i don't think the front rowers would last. That said very glad i saw it, clever, thought provoking piece and very strong acting. You just know i'm going to be tempted to go into work and say 'so i saw a play about quantom mechanics and multiverses', i wonder if that would get a better reaction to 'i now know how to gut a fish'?

#70 Nicholas

Nicholas

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:30 AM

I've now got a spare ticket for Wednesday 28th - my friend was going to meet me but now can't.  I'm waiting for someone else to get back to me and tell me if they can (sadly I can count my theatrical friends on one hand).  If they can't (and I can guarantee now they won't be able to) does anyone here want it?  I'll sell it for £15 (stalls, S3).  I'm still going so I'll be able to just physically give it to you and I promise I'm not an axe murderer living on St Martin's Lane.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users