• Please log in to reply
115 replies to this topic

#71 theatreguy81

theatreguy81

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:37 AM

Quick question for those of you who dayseated - what time did you show up to the theatre.  Am going to try for Tuesday next week and was thinking around 8am.  Any advice much appreciated!

#72 Beth

Beth

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:20 PM

View Posttheatreguy81, on 28 November 2012 - 11:37 AM, said:

Quick question for those of you who dayseated - what time did you show up to the theatre.  Am going to try for Tuesday next week and was thinking around 8am.  Any advice much appreciated!

I dayseated on a Saturday and got there at 9:55.  I was too late for second row seats, but there were still 7 front row seats for the evening performance available by the time I got my turn.  I should imagine it would be easier on a Tuesday, though it has had some good publicity, so that might make it more popular.

Heed the warnings about the front row - if you can get there early enough to get a second row seat, it'd be worth that extra effort.

#73 theatreguy81

theatreguy81

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:46 PM

Thanks Beth, much appreciated!

#74 RedRose

RedRose

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:53 PM

I got there at 8:20 on the pressnight Friday. Second in the queue. Absolutely worth it. Middle seat in 2nd row, best seat you can get.
King Lear (NT), Twelve Angry Men (Garrick),  Mojo (Harold Pinter), Coriolanus (2x, Donmar), Henry V (Noel Coward), Strangers on a Train (Gielgud), Fortunes Fool (Old Vic), Punchdrunk's The Drowned Man (Temple Studios), Jeeves and Wooster (Duke of York's), 1984 (Almeida), Red Velvet (Tricycle), Bring up the Bodies (Swan), Wolf Hall (Swan), The Mistress Contract (Royal Court), Versailles (Donmar), Blithe Spirit (Guilgud), Jane Eyre (Bristol Old Vic)

#75 Nicholas

Nicholas

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:17 PM

As I knew next to nothing about the plot before I went in, which meant as it unfurled it was completely fresh and unexpected, I'll simply say I just loved, loved, loved, loved this.  The two leads are phenomenal - couldn't work with even marginally lesser actors.  It's a joy to see a play so clever and so scientifically thought provoking that mainly rests on its emotional pull and its characters' engagement.  It's both mentally and emotionally stimulating and challenging and will stay with me for a long time.  And sets, sounds, costumes, were all perfect.  As was Payne's amazing, bravura script - deserved the award completely.  Just wonderful.  And a friend did come along and thought it was wonderful too, so I must be right.

#76 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5136 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:38 PM

This is obviously a big hit. I'm seeing it right at the end of its run. Why so short? Will it be extended or revised?

#77 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2521 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:22 AM

It can't be extended because The Judas Kiss follows it immediately. It's a two month run which is longer than most plays at the Royal Court. I decided two weeks ago that I'd regret missing it, given all the praise. So I've booked a Spanish Golden Age sandwich on Royal Court bread - Hero and Constellations as the evening slices with Damned by Despair as the matinee filling.

#78 Latecomer

Latecomer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1664 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:35 AM

View PostHonoured Guest, on 29 November 2012 - 12:22 AM, said:

It can't be extended because The Judas Kiss follows it immediately. It's a two month run which is longer than most plays at the Royal Court. I decided two weeks ago that I'd regret missing it, given all the praise. So I've booked a Spanish Golden Age sandwich on Royal Court bread - Hero and Constellations as the evening slices with Damned by Despair as the matinee filling.

I hope you have given some time over to the study of quantum mechanics...we wouldn't want you going along to a play without studying first to check it is right for you.....god forbid!

#79 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2521 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:13 AM

Thank you for your kind concern, Latecomer, but you misunderstood my earlier point.

In fact, Constellations draws on quantum multiverse theory, not quantum mechanics, to investigate free will and friendship.

#80 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5136 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:07 PM

HG, I can't believe you're seeing DbyD after all you've read here. Why not go for a nice early dinner? Bit of Xmas shopping maybe? Life's too short, mate.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users