#91 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2530 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:23 AM

View Postfringefan, on 01 December 2012 - 05:26 AM, said:

I'm still a little puzzled that this play, rather than any other from the recent RC Upstairs season, should have been selected for transfer, unless, being cynical, I assume it's because of the casting. I think I saw everything and thought there were better plays deserving a wider audience, though it could of course be that I simply don't appreciate the merits of this one. Anyway, good for all concerned, i.e. author, RC, cast and those who missed out first time round.

Constellations won the Best New Play of last year in the Evening Standard Awards and that has nothing to do with the casting. That's the best new play produced in all eligible theatres, not just RC Upstairs.

#92 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3754 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:51 AM

Going this evening. Long dayseat queue. Got that at 6.45 ish, thinking I'd be far too early, but 3 folks already there (arrived at 6am). Got second row no problem (they were going for the matinee), but by 10am (or even earlier- 8.30-9am I'd say), you wouldn't have got in I don't think. Sold out tonight too. The ES award is working its magic.

#93 fringefan

fringefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 11:47 PM

Well we are all entitled to our opinions and all views are equally valid.  I didn't like Jerusalem, either, but the vast majority did.

#94 dude-1981

dude-1981

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:13 AM

View Postfringefan, on 01 December 2012 - 11:47 PM, said:

Well we are all entitled to our opinions and all views are equally valid.  I didn't like Jerusalem, either, but the vast majority did.

Sure.  What would you have picked if you had to have one stairs show from that time go into Town?  I'm not sure what you define as that recent season, the things that came after this wouldn't have sold a single ticket in the West End I don't think.
If, for some strange reason you care what I've seen, it's all here:

http://pcchan1981.livejournal.com/

#95 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2530 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:34 AM

Going back to the previous year, I thought The Acid Test was a feeble play and The Village Bike was imperfect but that they both showed that future plays by Anya Reiss and Penelope Skinner could suit the West End if the playwrights were to choose to develop in that direction.

#96 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2082 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:49 AM

Goodbye to All That was excellent but would be a tough sell!
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#97 dude-1981

dude-1981

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:09 PM

Yes, if you want to go that far back, I enjoyed both of those. And didn't see Goodbye To All That, but from if I'm an RC upstairs regular & I didn't like the sound of it, then tough sell sounds about right.

#98 theatreguy81

theatreguy81

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:42 AM

Just to update FYI - dayseated today and was first in the queue at 7am.  No-one else arrived until 8, but then it was pretty steady, with about fifteen/twenty in the queue when the box office opened.

#99 fringefan

fringefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:09 AM

From earlier this year Upstairs:  at the time people absolutely raved about The Witness - my recollection may be incorrect, and I was less impressed, but I think there was at least as much critical enthusiasm then as for Constellations subsequently.  I preferred Goodbye To All That and Vera, Vera, Vera.

#100 dude-1981

dude-1981

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:28 AM

I don't recall much raving about The Witness. And I exchanged a half-raised eyebrow with a chum when it was on some awards long list for Best New Play.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users