2021 replies to this topic

#2001 luce66

luce66

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 06:04 PM

I remember seeing Oliver at the end of 2010, pretty much just wanted to see Kerry in the role. I was pretty disappointed sadly. She gave it her all I just don't think the role suited her. I saw Sam in the role at Manchester a few weeks ago, thought she was brilliant. Really lit up the stage and went for it, and such a powerful voice! Although perhaps a little too young for the role if I'm honest.

I think the role of Nancy is built up a lot. Yes of course it's an important role, but in terms of stage time it's not a huge role at all.

#2002 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3398 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 07:09 PM

It's an actresses role and not just a singers, which I think might be why Kerry wasn't great

#2003 Laughingmonsta

Laughingmonsta

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2424 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 07:14 PM

I think Sam Barks has been the best Nancy to date - believable in all aspects!
This is my street, I smile at the faces I've known all my life, They regard me with pride.

#2004 mjr

mjr

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3338 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 03:46 PM

JP could not deliver 7 performances a week. Her voice was often cracking. Because of this she couldn't always deliver in the big numbers!

#2005 djp

djp

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:50 PM

View Postluce66, on 09 April 2012 - 06:04 PM, said:

<br />I remember seeing Oliver at the end of 2010, pretty much just wanted to see Kerry in the role. I was pretty disappointed sadly. She gave it her all I just don't think the role suited her. I saw Sam in the role at Manchester a few weeks ago, thought she was brilliant. Really lit up the stage and went for it, and such a powerful voice! Although perhaps a little too young for the role if I'm honest. <br /><br />I think the role of Nancy is built up a lot. Yes of course it's an important role, but in terms of stage time it's not a huge role at all.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Not sure why people want her to look older? That was the problem with the ALW TV show where he wanted a young vulnerable Nancy, with a great vocal  and he ended up being given the oldest looking , least vulnerable looking , candidate available. Is it because thats  the way its been done in films - I can't see any plot reasons why a 21 year old like Sam or even her 18 year old self wouldn't fit the plot?

#2006 *Beatrice*

*Beatrice*

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 10:02 PM

View Postdjp, on 11 April 2012 - 09:50 PM, said:

<br />&lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;<br /><br />Not sure why people want her to look older? That was the problem with the ALW TV show where he wanted a young vulnerable Nancy, with a great vocal  and he ended up being given the oldest looking , least vulnerable looking , candidate available. Is it because thats  the way its been done in films - I can't see any plot reasons why a 21 year old like Sam or even her 18 year old self wouldn't fit the plot?<br />
<br /><br /><br />

It's because everyone remembers Shani Wallis from the film. She was far too old for the part. Nancy was very young in the book - a teenager, I think.

Has anyone seen Neil Morrissey and Brian Conley as Fagin? Who was the best?

#2007 MrTRobz

MrTRobz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 04:29 PM

I seen Oliver in London when it was in Previews and would love to see the touring version it looks nearly identical to the West End version!  Pity thing Belfast does not have a big enough venue to showcase it in. I may just have to catch a train to Dublin to see this one. :)
Shows Seen

[LONDON]
Wicked
Oliver!
Wizard of Oz
Shrek

[BELFAST]
Joseph Tour
Grease Tour
Buddy Tour
Legally Blonde Tour
Hairspray Tour

[DUBLIN]
Chitty, chitty, Bang bang Tour
Hairspray Tour
Lion King Tour

To be seen

[DUBLIN]
Wicked Tour

[LONDON]
Charlie and the Chocolate factory
Matilda

#2008 richard2711

richard2711

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 07:21 PM

I've seen both Brian and Neil play Fagin. It was really interesting as they approached the role quite differently I thought. Although they both have a history as comedy actors, Brian played the role much more for laughs than Neil. He ad libbed a little bit when I saw him, and played off the audience reactions well. I think I slightly preferred him as Edna Turnblad in Hairspray but he was still great. He actually chose to keep to his lower register in some places where Neil sang up a key, but as he has a naturally low voice.

I was surprised by how good Neil was, and he was virtually unrecognisable, although it is a role which has a lot of make up. I'm not even sure a lot of the audience realised it was him. Someone near me moaned when he came on and said "We've got the bloomin' understudy!" which obviously wasn't the case. Neil brought out the pathos in the character and played it slightly less for laughs than Brian.

It would be unfair to compare them tealy as they're very different performances, but I enjoyed them both.

#2009 wickedlover

wickedlover

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 09:35 PM

View PostMrTRobz, on 20 April 2012 - 04:29 PM, said:

I seen Oliver in London when it was in Previews and would love to see the touring version it looks nearly identical to the West End version!  Pity thing Belfast does not have a big enough venue to showcase it in. I may just have to catch a train to Dublin to see this one. :)

I know, Belfast misses most of the touring shows that are worth seeing...but we have started getting a few good ones in the last couple of years.

Saw Oliver in March 09, with Tamsin Carroll and again in June 10 with Kerry Ellis...as much as Kerry was able to sing the role, she just didn't pull it off for me emotionally, whereas Tamsin actually made me cry even when I was up in the balcony when I saw her...was second row stalls when I saw Kerry and her facial expressions just seemed to say bored, until she belted out the ALAHNM reprise,which is when she started the acting.
LONDON
[2004 ]   Mary Poppins - Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
[2008] The Sound of Music - Wicked
[2009] Oliver! - Billy Elliot - Grease - Wicked - Avenue Q - Sister Act - Wicked - The Rise and Fall of Little Voice
[2010]     Oliver! - Sister Act - The Lion King - Wicked - Sister Act
[2011]     Legally Blonde - Jersey Boys - Shrek the Musical - Wicked - The Wizard of Oz - Shrek the Musical - Jersey Boys - Ghost the Musical - The Wizard of Oz - Shrek the Musical
[2012] Ghost the Musical - The Wizard of Oz - Matilda the Musical - Shrek the Musical - Wicked - Ghost the Musical - The Lion King - Les Miserables - Jest End - Shrek the Musical - Wicked - Wicked - The Woman in Black - Matilda the Musical
[2013]     The Bodyguard - Wicked - Matilda the Musical - We Will Rock You - The Woman in Black - Wicked - The Book of Mormon - Les Miserables - Charlie & the Chocolate Factory - Billy Elliot - The Bodyguard - Wicked - Wicked
[2014] The Bodyguard - The Book of Mormon - Wicked - Matilda the Musical - Blithe Spirit - We Will Rock You - Wicked - Miss Saigon - Les Miserables - An Evening With Julie Andrews - Let The Right One In - The Bodyguard

BELFAST
[2004] Joseph (UK Tour)
[2007] Cats (UK Tour)
[2009] Evita (UK Tour x2) - Fame (UK Tour) - Chicago (UK Tour)
[2010] The Sound of Music (UK Tour x3)
[2011] Spamalot (UK Tour) - Avenue Q (UK Tour x2) - Dancing Shoes: The George Best Story - Joseph (UK Tour)
[2012] The King and I (UK Tour) - Grease (UK Tour) - Blood Brothers (UK Tour) - Legally Blonde (UK Tour x2) -   The Mousetrap (UK Tour) - Jesus Christ Superstar (Arena Tour) - Chicago (UK Tour) - One Man, Two Guvnors (UK Tour)
[2013] Soul Sister (UK Tour) - High Society (UK Tour) - Hairspray (UK Tour) - We Will Rock You (10th Anniversary Arena Tour) - 9 to 5 (UK Tour) - Priscilla, Queen of the Desert (UK Tour) - Evita (UK Tour x3) - Thriller Live (UK Tour) - Joseph (UK Tour) - Cats (UK Tour x2)
[2014] Singin' In The Rain (UK Tour) - Birdsong (UK Tour) - The Mousetrap (UK Tour) - Shrek the Musical (UK Tour) - One Man, Two Guvnors (UK Tour)

MANCHESTER
[2011] Mamma Mia (Int Tour) - Ghost the Musical (World Premier)
[2012] The Lion King (UK Tour)
[2013] Ghost the Musical (UK Tour) - Wicked (UK Tour x2)

DUBLIN
[2011] Sister Act (UK Tour)
[2012] The Phantom of the Opera (UK Tour)
[2013] Wicked (UK Tour)

#2010 jamescrispy94

jamescrispy94

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:07 PM

View Postrichard2711, on 20 April 2012 - 07:21 PM, said:

I was surprised by how good Neil was, and he was virtually unrecognisable, although it is a role which has a lot of make up. I'm not even sure a lot of the audience realised it was him. Someone near me moaned when he came on and said "We've got the bloomin' understudy!" which obviously wasn't the case. Neil brought out the pathos in the character and played it slightly less for laughs than Brian.

Really? That's interesting as when I went on the press night in Birmingham the audience applauded Neil when he entered. In all fairness I'm not too familiar with his previous work (been ages since I watched Bob the Builder!) so if I wasn't told it was Neil playing Fagin before hand I probably wouldn't have guessed it was him. Does Brian get his entrance applauded?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users