57 replies to this topic

#31 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3759 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 05:27 PM

The Young Vic Main House is in fact quite big, seating several hundred. Unreserved seating is fine in very small houses such as the Royal Court Upstairs and the Maria, but anything larger is a no no.

#32 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3759 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 05:30 PM

The board has posted my post 5 times. Could a mod delete 4 of these please?

#33 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2535 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 05:54 PM

View PostPharaoh, on 12 April 2012 - 05:28 PM, said:

The Young Vic Main House is in fact quite big, seating several hundred. Unreserved seating is fine in very small houses such as the Royal Court Upstairs and the Maria, but anything larger is a no no.
There are 700 standing tickets for every performance at Shakespeare's Globe. I suppose you think that 700 numbered standing spots should be marked on the ground.

#34 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3759 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 05:58 PM

I said seating, not standing, so no, I don't think that. Imagine unreserved seating in, say, the Adelphi. What a nightmare that would be.

#35 dude-1981

dude-1981

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 12:10 PM

I have no problem at all with unreserved seating in small venues, although I didn't enjoy the free for all before they opened the house at 7:25 last night at the Red Lion, but the Young Vic is simply far to big.  I've only experienced reserve seating there and can't imagine it any other way.(My resolution is to give up saying 'for me' or 'IMO' because everytihng is in my opinion so it doesn't need to be said.)
If, for some strange reason you care what I've seen, it's all here:

http://pcchan1981.livejournal.com/

#36 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5142 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 12:12 PM

Young Vic used to have unreserved. It was awful, pushy queues, quite put me off going there. I expect they changed to reserved to maximise the cafe /bar take. Wiltons take note.

#37 Weez

Weez

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2632 posts
  • Interests:Theatre. :D

Posted 14 April 2012 - 10:46 AM

With reserved seating at the Young Vic, they can offer a variety of prices and thus it is more affordable for me. Also, Young Vic audiences are VERY obnoxious, and I always hated queuing for unreserved seating with crowds of charming people being incredibly rude to, about, and near me.
Notes from the Earlham Street Gutter
http://earlhamstreet...r.blogspot.com/

#38 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2535 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 11:42 AM

View PostWeez, on 14 April 2012 - 10:46 AM, said:

With reserved seating at the Young Vic, they can offer a variety of prices and thus it is more affordable for me.
They've addressed the affordability:
"Tickets: Unreserved seating. The first twenty tickets for every performance will be 10. Remaining tickets will be priced between 15 and 30 - the earlier you book, the less you pay."

#39 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 02:07 PM

I'm amazed at this talk of the chaotic queues at the Young Vic.  I certainly never experienced that, ever, and I loved that I could line up early and have my choice of the best seats in the house.  It's by no means too big a theatre for unreserved seating - it worked just fine and I, for one, am sorry they changed their policy.
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

#40 Weez

Weez

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2632 posts
  • Interests:Theatre. :D

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:22 AM

They're not chaotic, they're rude and horrible. And I usually found I would queue up for ages to get in early for a good seat, and then be told to shuffle up so latecomers could be squeezed in, inevitably into the good seats I queued for ages to get, while I got shuffled further and further sideways. I am pleased about the new pricing scheme though, so I guess I'll risk it again. :)
Notes from the Earlham Street Gutter
http://earlhamstreet...r.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users