#1 musicmancjay

musicmancjay

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 12:57 PM

from whatsonstage.com...
Connie Fisher (pictured) - who won the Whatsonstage.com Theatregoers’ Choice Award for Newcomer of the Year on Friday (See News, 9 Feb 2007) – will return to The Sound of Music at the West End’s London Palladium tonight (12 February 2007), having missed the last week’s worth of performances after suffering a heavy cold and losing her voice.

Though now back with the show, Fisher will not be performing all eight performances this week, on doctor’s advice. On Wednesday and Saturday, Fisher will appear in matinees but not in the evenings, when Sophie Bould will play the part of nun-turned-nanny Maria von Trapp.

Surely its more usual for the 'lead' performer to drop the matinée performances and perform in the evening performances?
"Just when he should have been lying, he's telling the truth!"

#2 Blue

Blue

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 12:59 PM

Its good to see Connie is back.

I think I will go and day queue next week.

#3 Haz

Haz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1264 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 01:50 PM

QUOTE(musicmancjay @ Feb 13 2007, 12:57 PM) View Post
from whatsonstage.com...
Surely its more usual for the 'lead' performer to drop the matinée performances and perform in the evening performances?

perhaps that's why she's doing it?

many people get sick of risking seeing 'second rate' casts (and i use the quotes because understudies are very rarely anything close to second rate, but people do go to see first casts, esp in the case of people like connie) if they go to a matinee, when there's no discount given for an increased chance of understudies

either that or maybe she just fancies a night out...!

whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should

http://curtain-up.blogspot.com/

#4 Guest_alex_*

Guest_alex_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2007 - 01:55 PM

QUOTE(Haz @ Feb 13 2007, 01:50 PM) View Post
perhaps that's why she's doing it?

many people get sick of risking seeing 'second rate' casts (and i use the quotes because understudies are very rarely anything close to second rate, but people do go to see first casts, esp in the case of people like connie) if they go to a matinee, when there's no discount given for an increased chance of understudies

either that or maybe she just fancies a night out...!

Its because being a school holiday week they want to make sure the FAMILY matinee audiences will get to see her perform.
I think it makes a change

#5 musicmancjay

musicmancjay

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 02:11 PM

QUOTE(alex @ Feb 13 2007, 01:55 PM) View Post
Its because being a school holiday week they want to make sure the FAMILY matinee audiences will get to see her perform.
I think it makes a change

ah yeah - hadnt thought of that.
"Just when he should have been lying, he's telling the truth!"

#6 Mack Sennett

Mack Sennett

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 02:34 PM

Does anyone know if Alexander Hanson is back in the show? He was also off on Saturday night apparently (as was Lesley Garrett who is on holiday this week too).

#7 Rosie

Rosie

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Interests:Anything to do with music- playing the oboe, singing and composition.<br />Anything to do with musicals!

Posted 16 February 2007 - 12:52 AM

I saw it last night, asked one of the ushers, he told me Connie didn't do the matinee either, she's still off. I was mildly disappointed but not too bothered. There were little girls crying all over the place before the show started. One girl was devastated and was repeatedly saying "but you promised" to her Mother. They soon shut up when Sophie Bould started singing, I bet most of them couldn't tell the difference.

Disappointed not to see Lesley Garrett, especially as I was hoping to meet her at the stage door afterwards, I'm a fan of hers. Margaret Preece wasn't that great. The usher told us that Lesley's on a 2 week holiday.

Alexander Hanson was performing, and he was rather good.

#8 Guest_Christopher_*

Guest_Christopher_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2007 - 08:36 AM

QUOTE(Rosie @ Feb 16 2007, 12:52 AM) View Post
I saw it last night, asked one of the ushers, he told me Connie didn't do the matinee either, she's still off. I was mildly disappointed but not too bothered. There were little girls crying all over the place before the show started. One girl was devastated and was repeatedly saying "but you promised" to her Mother. They soon shut up when Sophie Bould started singing, I bet most of them couldn't tell the difference.

Disappointed not to see Lesley Garrett, especially as I was hoping to meet her at the stage door afterwards, I'm a fan of hers. Margaret Preece wasn't that great. The usher told us that Lesley's on a 2 week holiday.

Alexander Hanson was performing, and he was rather good.

I don't necessarily think it's that unusual for the star to do the matinee and the alternate/cover to do the evenings.  When Elaine Paige was Norma Desmond, she was scheduled to appear at matinees on Thursdays with Alisa Endsley performing the role of Norma Desmond on Thursday evenings.  Presumably it made sense to have the 'star' appearing at matinees where tickets were harder to shift.

#9 Blue

Blue

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 11:22 AM

You should also think that many people who come to matinees are familes with young children who might have travelled a long way to come and see the show so why should they not have the pleasure of seeing Connie. I'm all in favour of getting familes to come and see the theatre just to make sure that we all have a future.

#10 Tootsie

Tootsie

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Interests:Lots of great theatre please!!<br />

Posted 16 February 2007 - 11:42 AM

I believe there has been a press release saying she has been advised to take this week off also.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users