#101 Orchestrator

Orchestrator

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1028 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 10:59 PM

QUOTE(emkay @ Mar 27 2007, 07:58 PM) View Post
I don't know exactly what happened with Emma, whether the producers forced her out or if she quit.  If she did quit, though, I understand why, because she was, in the public's eyes, being cast as the interloper.  It's not fair, and it's not a position I would want to be in if I were Emma.

I'm no expert in employment law but I suspect Fisher's comments on live TV could be argued as Constructive Dismissal.
Ooh, that Bernadette Shaw - what a chatterbox!

#102 emkay

emkay

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 03:58 AM

I don't know.  Saying you want to do something or think you are able to does not automatically mean you will be allowed to.  ALW was still saying six shows after Connie was saying she could do eight.  How events transpired after that, who knows?  Not that it even matters now, anyway.  Emma went on to other jobs, and Connie did SOM, and now she's back to six shows.  You may be able to say she was naive, but I don't think she was hubristic or malicious.  She's human, and she should be allowed to learn from her mistakes just like the rest of us.

#103 akp

akp

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 11:39 AM

Just to clarify, constructive dismissal is when a person resigns from a job and then tries to argue at a tribunal that they had no other option and were forced into that position by the action of their employer. So, Orchestrator, I don't think that is what you mean unless you know something about Connie Fisher that the rest of us don't!

#104 Orchestrator

Orchestrator

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1028 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 07:07 PM

QUOTE(akp @ Mar 31 2007, 12:39 PM) View Post
Just to clarify, constructive dismissal is when a person resigns from a job and then tries to argue at a tribunal that they had no other option and were forced into that position by the action of their employer. So, Orchestrator, I don't think that is what you mean unless you know something about Connie Fisher that the rest of us don't!

I know nothing about Fisher that isn't common knowledge. If she says on National TV that she intends to do all 8 and this isn't contradicted in public by the producers immediately even though Williams has a contract for 2 (or whatever number from 1-6) shows per weeks, then is Williams able to say that the producers are forcing her to resign?

#105 akp

akp

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 07:27 PM

QUOTE(Orchestrator @ Apr 2 2007, 08:07 PM) View Post
I know nothing about Fisher that isn't common knowledge. If she says on National TV that she intends to do all 8 and this isn't contradicted in public by the producers immediately even though Williams has a contract for 2 (or whatever number from 1-6) shows per weeks, then is Williams able to say that the producers are forcing her to resign?

I belive that Williams would have been given a settlement in respect of her contract but in any case you cannot take an employer to a tribunal (except in certain circumstances and they aren't present here) to claim constructive dismissal until you have worked for them for a year.

#106 Orchestrator

Orchestrator

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1028 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 06:31 AM

QUOTE(akp @ Apr 2 2007, 08:27 PM) View Post
I belive that Williams would have been given a settlement in respect of her contract but in any case you cannot take an employer to a tribunal (except in certain circumstances and they aren't present here) to claim constructive dismissal until you have worked for them for a year.

Thanks for that information, akp.

#107 stacie

stacie

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 01:31 AM

Hi! I am so sorry if I've got this whole posting thing wrong, I know it can be really annoying when people mess things up! I don't know if I'm in the right place or not, but, I was wondering if anyone could help in finding out if the main cast of "The Sound of Music" will be appearing between 6th and 15th of September? My Grandmother would like to book tickets for my sister's 18th birthday and will not part with her money until she is sure! I've already seen the show and have assured her it will be good regardless of who appears but she cannot be told! Sorry for rambling on abit!

#108 Matthew Winn

Matthew Winn

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2898 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 07:45 AM

QUOTE(stacie @ Apr 8 2007, 02:31 AM) View Post
Hi! I am so sorry if I've got this whole posting thing wrong, I know it can be really annoying when people mess things up! I don't know if I'm in the right place or not, but, I was wondering if anyone could help in finding out if the main cast of "The Sound of Music" will be appearing between 6th and 15th of September?

If you phone the booking line they should be able to tell you. (Use the official booking line - 0870 890 1108 - rather than a random ticket agent.) If they don't know they ought to be able to give you a number by which you can contact the theatre to ask.

Failing that, call the theatre's stage door (use directory enquiries) and ask to speak to someone who'll know. They'll probably put you through to the box office. It's unlikely you'll be able to book tickets through them, but they'll have the latest information if anyone has. Avoid calling at lunchtime or in the hour before a performance because they'll be far too busy to deal with enquiries. Use this approach only if the official booking line can't help you: there are thousands of people who want to know about cast holidays, and if the box office had to deal with every enquiry themselves they'd never have time to sell tickets.

Bear in mind, however, that you're talking about events five months in the future. Not everyone books their holidays that far in advance, although I would expect that the leads in The Sound of Music would be encouraged to reserve their time off as early as possible. Then there are things like illness or unexpected emergencies such as funerals that can take people out of a show. (Very few people book time off for funerals five months in advance, and employers tend to be slightly suspicious of those that do.)
I have always hated eggs. I remember back when I was a sperm I tried to head-butt one. It did not end well.

#109 JonnyBoy

JonnyBoy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 06:41 PM

Yes, the box office should be able to tell you whether Connie and others stars are on that date.  Lesley Garrett is finishing at the end of April.

By the way, I highly recommend the day seats - a bargain and a wonderful view (if you don't mind queuing from 8:30 on a weekday!)

A remarkable show, that should be good whoever is in on those dates in Sept.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users