108 replies to this topic

#11 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 12:08 PM

I think it's a good thing that matinees audiences should be prioritised. A lot of people can't get to the theatre in the evening - why should they always see the cover? But if you can go in the evening, you can just avoid a particular night if the star isn't on.

#12 theatrefan

theatrefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 03:04 PM

Not only was she advised to have last week off, the Sunday Express is now reporting that she is suffering from exhaustion, and has discovered that doing all 8 shows is too much stress! Now what was it she said about not needing an alternate???? huh.gif  Maybe she should have heeded what the director and producers originally said rather than denigrating her alternate as unnecessary. ohmy.gif The Express give the figures of how much time she has had off and are suggesting she will not finish her contract because of this exhaustion! I felt sorry for her when it was said she had a bad cold and laryngitis, but if this is true, then she has somewhat brought it on herself.
The best of times is now,
Now, not some forgotten yesterday.
Now, tomorrow is too far away

#13 Blue

Blue

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 09:17 PM

There's a lot of illness flying around the West End at the moment. I'm sure Connie will be back on her feet and singing in the mountains soon. It must have been really disappointing for those families who turned up to see her perform but that's theatre for you.

#14 Guest_figgin_*

Guest_figgin_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2007 - 04:32 PM

I dont actually see what the fuss is about as Sophie Bould is brilliant as Maria as is her understudy Kerry Winter who plays leisl when Sophie is Maria. She is just fabulous.

#15 Tintin

Tintin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 08:29 PM

Lesley Garrett was interviewed on the radio today and said that Connie has been suffering from a very bad cold. This is something that all singers dread, not just for themselves, but also for other members of the cast.

#16 Blue

Blue

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 09:49 PM

Is Connie back this week because I was thinking of queuing for day seats on Wednesday?

#17 Haz

Haz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1264 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 09:52 PM

QUOTE(figgin @ Feb 19 2007, 04:32 PM) View Post
I dont actually see what the fuss is about as Sophie Bould is brilliant as Maria as is her understudy Kerry Winter who plays leisl when Sophie is Maria. She is just fabulous.

maybe so.. but rightly or wrongly, surely at least 75% of the people who go to see SoM go because they watched maria and want to see connie.

whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should

http://curtain-up.blogspot.com/

#18 Guest_figgin_*

Guest_figgin_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2007 - 11:53 PM

QUOTE(Haz @ Feb 19 2007, 09:52 PM) View Post
maybe so.. but rightly or wrongly, surely at least 75% of the people who go to see SoM go because they watched maria and want to see connie.

certainly true, however i have been in performances where people have moaned when the little flyer ha fallen out of their programme stating that sophie is playing Maria and by the interval they are more than happy to sit and watch another talented performer through another act, then realising that connie fisher isn't the be all and end all of the whole production and the character of Maria.

#19 Blue

Blue

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 12:53 PM

I think it is fantastic that Sophia has been able to win people other by her performance. She must be daunted knowing that most people came to see Connie but I guess her curtain call more than proves how she has won over the audience.

#20 Guest_Sarah_*

Guest_Sarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2007 - 10:13 AM

Actually it must be awful for Sophie to hear boos, as we did, as she is already on stage waiting for her first number when the announcement is made. However, as you say, she has been winning round audiences by the end of her first song and getting standing ovations every night she goes on.

But, of course, she does have more experience than Connie and is a better actress. Connie is still learning and perhaps the experience of insisting on eight shows a week is a hard lesson to learn at the moment.

I've seen both in the role and its amazing the difference in the acting of the rest of the cast when they are on stage with Sophie. Lesley's performance is miles better in her number before the end of the first half when she's on stage with Sophie.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users