10 replies to this topic

#1 theatrebuzz

theatrebuzz

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 04:03 PM

Looks like ol' wds was right...

Fiddler, which as he said was looking at, is going to The Savoy.

Expect to hear confirmation next week.

#2 curzon

curzon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 04:11 PM

QUOTE(theatrebuzz @ Mar 3 2007, 04:03 PM) View Post
Looks like ol' wds was right...

Fiddler, which as he said was looking at, is going to The Savoy.

Expect to hear confirmation next week.
Is that the Sheffield production with Henry Goodman? I thought it was great but the Savoy is absolutely the wrong venue for that production. It needs a thrust stage - Putting it behind a prosc arch will kill it stone dead. Maybe they'll build a thrust - But of course that would mean losing seats.....Can't see that happening, then!! I was hoping it would go to somewhere like the New London.

Sebastian

#3 Ian

Ian

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 823 posts
  • Interests:Theatre, cats and photography principally.

Posted 03 March 2007 - 04:20 PM

QUOTE(curzon @ Mar 3 2007, 04:11 PM) View Post
Is that the Sheffield production with Henry Goodman? I thought it was great but the Savoy is absolutely the wrong venue for that production. It needs a thrust stage - Putting it behind a prosc arch will kill it stone dead. Maybe they'll build a thrust - But of course that would mean losing seats.....Can't see that happening, then!! I was hoping it would go to somewhere like the New London.

Sebastian

New London would have been perfect for the show. Sadly they can't build much of a thrust at the Savoy as the sightlines from the circles will  not allow it (unless you want to hide the casts feet from most of the audience).
The engine roared, the motor hissed,
And who could see that the road would twist

#4 theatrebuzz

theatrebuzz

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 05:34 PM

QUOTE(Ian @ Mar 3 2007, 04:20 PM) View Post
New London would have been perfect for the show. Sadly they can't build much of a thrust at the Savoy as the sightlines from the circles will  not allow it (unless you want to hide the casts feet from most of the audience).

With Henry Goodman, yes.

New London would have been fab, but as ZORRO found out, The Blue Man Group are in a deal with Really Useful meaning they cant be evicted from that venue until about 2009 apparently. They thought it was going to be fantastic - how wrong!!

#5 Marius

Marius

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 07:31 PM

QUOTE(theatrebuzz @ Mar 3 2007, 05:34 PM) View Post
With Henry Goodman, yes.

New London would have been fab, but as ZORRO found out, The Blue Man Group are in a deal with Really Useful meaning they cant be evicted from that venue until about 2009 apparently. They thought it was going to be fantastic - how wrong!!

So is Porgy and Bess closing then??

and hang on,. so Zorro is not happening now? and the New London is taken for the next 2 years??!!

#6 Ian

Ian

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 823 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 07:45 PM

QUOTE(Marius @ Mar 3 2007, 07:31 PM) View Post
and the New London is taken for the next 2 years??!!

Unless the Blue Men decide to close - and even with more than one "team" it can't cost much to run .......

#7 Ian

Ian

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 823 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 07:50 PM

Actually - its worth pointing out that the New London had a "cursed" reputation worse than and longer than the Shaftesbury. From Opening in 1973 until the arrival of Cats in 1981, this theatre had not one hit that was not a strictly limited run - no-one wanted to book it!

Personally I don't like the theatre - but none can say it is not successful now!

#8 josh

josh

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 741 posts
  • Interests:theatre, movies, actors, acting, directing

Posted 03 March 2007 - 11:01 PM

One of the ugliest ugliest theatres there is, but still I'm excited to see this production!
He used to call me Blue Roses.

#9 M George

M George

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 09:29 AM

QUOTE(curzon @ Mar 3 2007, 04:11 PM) View Post

Sebastian

I am sure they can restage it for a proscenium theatre so it's just as effective as it was on the thrust stage.

I won't be called a baggage!

#10 curzon

curzon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 10:47 AM

QUOTE(M George @ Mar 4 2007, 09:29 AM) View Post
I am sure they can restage it for a proscenium theatre so it's just as effective as it was on the thrust stage.
I hope so but I doubt it. At the Crucible the closeness to the audience drew you in and almost made you feel part of the Anatevka community. That feel will inevitably be lost in a conventional and rather cramped theatre like the Savoy.

Sebastian

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users