1943 replies to this topic

#1901 FireFingers

FireFingers

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:13 PM

Will be sad to see WWRY close, especially as Rock of Ages sales aren't too hot as well, but it hasn't had a bad run if it is to close. Though many shows are rumoured to be considering closing so WEP's tweet might not be about WWRY.

#1902 MS1995

MS1995

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:21 PM

Yeah, but it can't run forever! And I have heard about Motown and kinky both looking at it! Not sure how either of then would do there tbh! I think it is too big for kinky and Motown I can't see being a hit here, but you never know!
2002: Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
2004: Joseph And The Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat
2008: Mamma Mia
2009: Sound Of Music, Les Miserables, The Woman In Black
2010: Wicked
2012: Wicked, Chicago, Legally Blonde, Ghost, Wizard Of Oz, Phantom Of The Opera (UK Tour), Matilda, Sweeney Todd, Taboo (Brixton), Wicked, Wicked
2013: Lift (Soho), The Book Of Mormon, Avenue Q (Off-Broadway), Newsies (Broadway), Wicked (Broadway), Pippin (Broadway), The Lion King.
PLANNED
2013: A Chorus Line, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, We Will Rock You (UK Tour), Wicked (UK Tour), Charlie And The Chocolate Factory, Wicked, Les Miserables, Wicked

#1903 mrtheatre123

mrtheatre123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 991 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:22 PM

Well I heard this from another source not west end producer ... But west end producer could be referring to another show certainly.... Time will tell!!

#1904 MS1995

MS1995

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:25 PM

Also don't forget it very nearly closed 10 years ago, so it could recover!
2002: Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
2004: Joseph And The Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat
2008: Mamma Mia
2009: Sound Of Music, Les Miserables, The Woman In Black
2010: Wicked
2012: Wicked, Chicago, Legally Blonde, Ghost, Wizard Of Oz, Phantom Of The Opera (UK Tour), Matilda, Sweeney Todd, Taboo (Brixton), Wicked, Wicked
2013: Lift (Soho), The Book Of Mormon, Avenue Q (Off-Broadway), Newsies (Broadway), Wicked (Broadway), Pippin (Broadway), The Lion King.
PLANNED
2013: A Chorus Line, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, The Book Of Mormon, Wicked, We Will Rock You (UK Tour), Wicked (UK Tour), Charlie And The Chocolate Factory, Wicked, Les Miserables, Wicked

#1905 poster J

poster J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1014 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:54 PM

It wouldn't be surprising if it does close, it's had a great run and at least it got to the 10th anniversary!  I'll be there on closing night  for sure if this is true, I do enjoy the show, though I haven't seen it in a couple of years now, so will have to make a return trip or two soon.  I certainly would rather RoA closed than this, but WWRY has been discounting heavily for years, so whenever it announces closure won't be a surprise.  And it wouldn't make much sense for it to do what RoA did and move theatres, it's probably better going out on a theatre tour again rather than arenas (which certainly in some venues didn't get close to selling out).

But I think it would be a shame if it closes for Kinky Boots, that sounds like a terrible show (though apparently not seeing as it won the Tony, but still...), and the Dominion is too big for Motown to be successful there I would think, it needs something a bit smaller.  I'd personally rather have a big revival of a classic than the options that seem to be potential replacements...

#1906 mrtheatre123

mrtheatre123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 991 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 08:00 PM

Would love to see Tarzan move in here once WWRY closes, know it has no plans for a west end run but would live it, don't like the sound of kinky boots or Motown!!

#1907 Jess173

Jess173

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 08:08 PM

The Dominion is far too big for Kinky Boots... I don't know about Motown though, I've never seen that...

Where did the closing rumour come from anyway? Apart from westendproducer's tweet?

#1908 sam22

sam22

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 09:40 PM

Yeah I agree probably too big for Kinky Boots, the set really wasn;'t that big. I don't really no much about Motown, not really fussed though! Any other big shows that are rumoured that could be going here?

#1909 poster J

poster J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1014 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 09:44 PM

Newsies is supposedly coming in next year, but again I think the Dominion's probably too big, and it's rumoured for another theatre anyway, though I've forgotten which one.

I wonder if the current Broadway productions of Cinderella or Annie are looking to transfer...

Pippin or Spiderman would be the only others currently running on Broadway that would even be possibilities for transfer, but I think the former is too niche (though the Dominon at least would probably have enough space for it) and the latter doesn't exactly get good word of mouth...

#1910 RH1234

RH1234

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 09:54 PM

I could see Motown going there... in many ways, it's music catalogue is as famous and timeless, if not more so, than Queen's, and that is what will sell the show.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users