Jump to content


- - - - -

St James - new theatre at Victoria


  • Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#31 fringefan

fringefan

    Advanced Member

  • Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 02:15 PM

Actually I do like the sound of the programme - or some of it - but not the prices.   I think I'm still paying an average of well under £20 a time for my mix of mainstream, fringe and provincial theatre and I certainly don't pay anywhere near £24 (perish the thought!) for the Bush - but then, I do stick to matinees, previews or other deals there.  If you're not used to paying a lot, forking out more than usual for an unknown quantity seems a big risk.  Two reasons why I take a chance on seasons at venues such as the NT, Royal Court, etc, are that I won't have wasted so much money if I don't like the production and they have a fairly good track record.  The new theatre certainly can't compete on either basis.

#32 Jamiem

Jamiem

    Advanced Member

  • Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 12 July 2012 - 05:26 PM

Unfortunately this theatre will never work, but then did the owners ever want it to work, or did they just build it as they had to, with the smallest capacity/space they could get away with in order to sell the apartments they built above it?

#33 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

    Dis Member

  • Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2522 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling

Posted 12 July 2012 - 05:44 PM

Are you saying that, in your opinion, its small audience capacity means that it can only either make a financial loss or scrape a narrow profit with the planned programming model of short limited runs? If so, do you think it could in time work commercially with extended transfers of successful productions from small subsidised theatres? A smaller scale version of the current Royal Court transfer season at the Duke of York's, perhaps?

#34 Front Row Dress

Front Row Dress

    Advanced Member

  • Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 12 July 2012 - 05:57 PM

We've got a brand new 600 seat theatre right in the heart in Islington that was built as part of a residential development in 2008 and has never opened. It really is a total waste. Here's the link heralding it, but it remains boarded up http://www.thecnj.co...s050908_17.html
www.frontrowdress.com

#35 Lynette

Lynette

    Advanced Member

  • Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5140 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:London

Posted 12 July 2012 - 07:09 PM

Crumbs. Didn't know that. So what's the prob?

#36 Front Row Dress

Front Row Dress

    Advanced Member

  • Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 12 July 2012 - 07:14 PM

Found an update, says wrangle on technical issues, but honestly you'd think they could sort it out, it's meant to be run by Old Vic CEO Sally Greene according to article and "finance is not an issue". It's a great location and the local luvvies would love it http://www.thecnj.co...s061909_08.html
www.frontrowdress.com

#37 Jamiem

Jamiem

    Advanced Member

  • Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 12 July 2012 - 07:27 PM

View PostHonoured Guest, on 12 July 2012 - 05:44 PM, said:

Are you saying that, in your opinion, its small audience capacity means that it can only either make a financial loss or scrape a narrow profit with the planned programming model of short limited runs? If so, do you think it could in time work commercially with extended transfers of successful productions from small subsidised theatres? A smaller scale version of the current Royal Court transfer season at the Duke of York's, perhaps?

The rents is too high, its too small, the whole thing doesn't stack, perhaps it's a front?

#38 dude-1981

dude-1981

    Advanced Member

  • Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 655 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Richmond

Posted 13 July 2012 - 12:11 PM

View Postfringefan, on 12 July 2012 - 02:15 PM, said:

Actually I do like the sound of the programme - or some of it - but not the prices.   I think I'm still paying an average of well under £20 a time for my mix of mainstream, fringe and provincial theatre and I certainly don't pay anywhere near £24 (perish the thought!) for the Bush - but then, I do stick to matinees, previews or other deals there.

All good stuff.  But we are talking about the face value of a normal seat, not what we pay or what the deals are and I made a valid comparison.  My last 10 shows have cost me a total of less than £60, but that's by the by.
If, for some strange reason you care what I've seen, it's all here:

http://pcchan1981.livejournal.com/

#39 fringefan

fringefan

    Advanced Member

  • Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 02:44 PM

View Postdude-1981, on 13 July 2012 - 12:11 PM, said:

All good stuff.  But we are talking about the face value of a normal seat, not what we pay or what the deals are and I made a valid comparison.  My last 10 shows have cost me a total of less than £60, but that's by the by.

I wasn't intending to contradict you, dude1981; if anything, the lack of deals and the fact that paying face value seems to be the only option, would be my point.

#40 Ian

Ian

    Advanced Member

  • Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Scarborough, North Yorkshire
  • Interests:Theatre, cats and photography principally.

Posted 14 July 2012 - 06:27 PM

The prices are pretty much comparable to the Menier, but with the added value of a comfortable seat with a good sight-line. Hampstead is not far off either, with similar comfort and the Almeida for perfect view seats. The apparent lack of selected "bargain prices"  for area (at the St James the back row would be least good) or selected performances is to be lamented. However there seems to be a establishing half-way house between West End and above-a-pub Fringe - also priced mid way
The engine roared, the motor hissed,
And who could see that the road would twist




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users