71 replies to this topic

#51 Reich

Reich

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1024 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:46 PM

i'm 5ft9 and hubby is 5ft6 (and a peanut!) ... maybe i'm just used to the cheap seats at ENO and ROH so anything else is considered a luxury ;-)

Broadway has been very good to me. But then, I've been very good to broadway.

#52 alywin

alywin

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:34 PM

View Postfringefan, on 04 January 2013 - 05:48 PM, said:

Maybe my legs are out of proportion, but I'm not quite 5'9" yet have still found the legroom horribly cramped on both my visits.

I sat in an aisle seat on my one visit so far: I'm 5'6", and not convinced I could bear the inside seats.  The stadium-style seating is useful, though, especially when you're used to the lousy rakes in many West End theatres.  Nice theatre, though - anyone tried the food?  The place was full when I got there, hence I too had to go and use M&S.

#53 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2082 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 05:55 PM

Next show announced - "The Thrill of Love", a new play about Ruth Ellis.

Pleased to see they have seen sense on ticket prices - most seats £30 or £20 for previews, compared to £42.50 for the current show
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#54 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2530 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 06:08 PM

View Postxanderl, on 08 February 2013 - 05:55 PM, said:

Pleased to see they have seen sense on ticket prices - most seats £30 or £20 for previews, compared to £42.50 for the current show

To be fair, Our Country's Good toured for twelve full weeks in the autumn and so its opening performances at St James weren't "previews".

#55 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2082 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 06:41 PM

No, I mean non-previews are 30 rather than 42.50 for the new show (which is also touring first)
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#56 Backdrifter

Backdrifter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • Interests:Moving, sleeping, eating, not being here

Gender says 'not telling' but, clue: I own some Y chromosomes

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:09 AM

View Postxanderl, on 08 February 2013 - 05:55 PM, said:

Next show announced - "The Thrill of Love", a new play about Ruth Ellis.

Most seats now at £30 and £40, post-opening. However, for this production and the one following it (Northern Broadside's Rutherford & Son) front row stalls are £20 and £15 respectively, and The Thrill has on-stage seats at £15. I'm going to give this one a go. They can't be doing great business - seating plan for tonight shows nearly half still available, though they might start to go during the afternoon. I've heard good things about this one. The Sowerby came to the Rose Kingston, my local theatre, and I somehow managed to miss it so I'll catch it here too.
Turn up the signal... wipe out the noise

#57 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 02:50 PM

While getting in touring productions is a great idea and I will definitely see Rutherford & Son (especially it won't be necessary to pay full price) but they desperately need an actual hit to put themselves on the map.

#58 fringefan

fringefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 06:23 PM

I didn't realise that Rutherford & Son was calling at the St James on its tour, or I might have waited to see it there.  Still, there'd also have been no knowing about the cheaper tickets, either.  This particular play seems to be visiting a surprising number of venues in the south-east (i.e. compared to a normal touring production), such that I had the choice of seeing it in Guildford, Kingston or Watford.  Or even central London, as it turns out!  I would certainly have preferred almost any venue to Kingston as that huge gap between the stage and the stalls is always an issue, and the stage itself seems so wide - much more compact and closer at the St James.

#59 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:49 PM

I was in the area today and discovered another, quite literal, barrier to the theatre's success - building works all along that side o Buckingham Palace Road. I know passing trade is only a small part of a theatre's success but it's now almost impossible to walk past this particular theatre and it must make a difference.

#60 fringefan

fringefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 04:17 AM

Those building works have been there for at least six months already, as they were in situ on my first visit to the St James, in early October.  And although I'm a regular theatregoer, that wasn't an area I knew at all (precisely because of the previous paucity of theatres), so it wasn't the best introduction.  But I did quite like the new mall near the theatre, which might offer a better approach route, once known.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users