9 replies to this topic

#1 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3361 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 02:55 PM

Towards the end of last year there was talk of a new Sunset Blvd tour, anymore on this? I thought it might have been mentioned to be a bill kenwright version

#2 Annasette

Annasette

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 06:11 PM

A (limited) tour of Craig Revel Horwood's Watermill production was certainly mooted, but after the London transfer it never seemed to materialise. Shame that, because it was really good. It's not going to happen now, though, and a Kenwright version wouldn't be the same thing anyway.

#3 StephenWebbFan

StephenWebbFan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Interests:We Will Rock You, Jekyll&Hyde, Jersey Boys,Phantom of the Opera

Posted 12 February 2012 - 07:35 PM

so happy if this is true!! Had tickets to see the London production in 2009 before it ended its run but it closed early, was so gutted :(

#4 Showstopper

Showstopper

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 09:25 AM

This could still tour in 2013/14

Hope it does!!

#5 Laughingmonsta

Laughingmonsta

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2424 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 12:40 PM

I heard that Lloyd-Webber wants to see it like he has always want...in an ill conceived arena tour in front of 20,000 people with really bad sound quality...I heard he was going to cast the show via local papers classified ads, and that the set would be an olympic sized swimming pool and the cast would be in the pool in synchronised swimming routines! - but that's just what I heard *Whistles Sarcastically*

On a real note - I enjoyed CRH's revival and could see it touring to middle scale venues like Liverpool Playhouse, WYP etc, but have a feeling as noted above ALW only wants get rich quick cash cows, so have a feeling this won't happen!
This is my street, I smile at the faces I've known all my life, They regard me with pride.

#6 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3361 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 02:22 PM

I hope the CRH version doesn't tour, id like to see a larger scale revival

#7 Laughingmonsta

Laughingmonsta

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2424 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 03:06 PM

Titan you're not ALW are you ha ha?
This is my street, I smile at the faces I've known all my life, They regard me with pride.

#8 Steve10086

Steve10086

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 03:21 PM

The CRH version at the Watermill Theatre in Newbury was one of the best theatre experiences I've ever had.  The show fitted the venue perfectly, and the Watermill atmosphere is brilliant.  Having an amazing meal there after the show was great.

When the production came to the West End it looked overwhelmed by the theatre, very small and very cheap.  Wouldn't want to see it again on a tour.

A nice new classy production would be great to see.

#9 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3361 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 03:50 PM

ha no, i just would ilke to see a proper production with orchestra and more sets, not the actor/musician thing.  And as has been pointed out, that production would look lost in most regional theatres (when Mack and Mabel toured that got lost in many venues).

#10 Doogie Hoser

Doogie Hoser

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 04:07 PM

If they're going to do it, I hope they do it big as well.  But as I said in the Evita thread, this is another part that needs a major talent at the centre to draw sufficient revenue to sustain it.  So people need to be coming to see a big name who can sing, otherwise I fear the show is too dark and too grim to last for long.  Word of mouth needs to be 'I saw Big Star in Sunset Boulevard and she was amazing!' or it won't run long enough to recoup or turn a decent profit.  In the end, it's a business.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users