Richard III & Twelfth Night (Rylance & Fry)

• Please log in to reply
121 replies to this topic

#111 luce76

luce76

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:25 PM

View Postdrmaplewood, on 23 January 2013 - 10:20 AM, said:

Just went past the Apollo at 10 this morning and the day queue was quite large, at least 40 people. Its a two-show day but I advise setting off early.

Great, that's useful ,thanks. I was thinking I'll get there at 8. Not sure that my toes and fingers will survive any longer outside than that...

#112 SHk

SHk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:31 AM

I would like to sell my ticket for 12th NIght, 2nd Feb (Sat), 19:30, Row B Balcony, £25. Please leave me a message on this board if you are interested. Thank you.

#113 SHk

SHk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:02 PM

I've found a taker. Thanks.

#114 luce76

luce76

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:13 PM

Just in case anyone is still hoping to dayseat for Twelfth Night. My friend and I got there at 7:45 this morning and were about 9th in the queue. The first people had apparently got there at 6:30. By the time we came to be served, all the stalls dayseats had gone (the man in the box offce said it had been the first row and 2 seats in the second row). My friend got two seats in a dress circle box, and I got a seat in an upper circle box (which was pretty high, but not too bad if you jammed yourself right against the side wall!)

#115 Ruperto

Ruperto

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:12 PM

I saw Twelfth Night a few evenings ago - Mark Rylance was a wonder, as everyone has said, and Stephen Fry played it just about right, I think, as Malvolio - Stephen Fry-ish, but sort of low-key too, in a way that didn't unbalance the evening.

If I'm honest, I thought it was a little too long and dragged in spots - it didn't wrap up until 10.40pm. But two things I thought worth mentioning were Johnny Flynn and the stage seats. Last time I saw Johnny Flynn was in Jerusalem, when I was distinctly underwhelmed by him, but I thought he was a revelation as Viola - I can't imagine the part being played better by a man! He's definitely one to watch...

And I know 12N and RIII are near the end of their runs, but if you can beg, borrow or steal a stage seat then do - it was amazing to be that up close and personal. If you get there early, the cast are on stage getting dressed and having their make-up and hair done in front of you. On the night I went, some of them came over and chatted to us - Mark Rylance had a brief chat (in full get-up) with the couple sitting next to me. There seems to be a trend for stage seats at the moment - the forthcoming Macbeth at the Trafalgar Studios has got them too, and This House at the Olivier...

#116 paplazaroo

paplazaroo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:06 PM

Interesting, Flynn must have grown into it. I thought his performance at the globe very underwhelming, unlike Barnett who was fantastic.

#117 Michael

Michael

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:13 PM

Flynn's flat-voiced and rather expressionless Viola was a weakness of the production for me. His reaction to both Olivia and Orsino's advances is the same - a sort of blank embarrassment. When the twins are eventually on stage together at the end, I found myself wishing that Barnett had got the Viola role.

Stephen Fry was great. He slotted right into the company as a believable character rather than a "celebrity guest star". Hard to think of any other Shakespeare characters I'd like to see him as, though. Malvolio seems to fit him like a glove.

Mark Rylance continues to surprise me with his fresh takes on familiar lines. E.g. at the end of Act 1 he repeats to himself the question he'd just asked Viola - "What is your parentage?", but does so with a cringe, making it sound like he'd asked her "Do you come here often?".

I saw a pre-Fry version of this production at the Globe a few years ago, but it was great to get it close-up and with comfy seats.

#118 paplazaroo

paplazaroo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:13 AM

I'd love this to be a last minute publicity stunt organised by the producers! -

http://www.guardian....genet-king-live

#119 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3760 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:43 AM

What are the bets on Leicester Curve producing Richard III in the next couple of years, then?

#120 Monteverdi

Monteverdi

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:17 AM

Was anyone at the last performances? I love the photo online of Rylance at the curtain of Richard III holding a 'no parking' sign. Was anyone there to see that. What a season it has been. I am still intoxicated by his Olivia.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users