Richard III & Twelfth Night (Rylance & Fry)

• Please log in to reply
121 replies to this topic

#31 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3749 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 02:34 PM

One more plea: anyone want a yard ticket for Twelfth Night, 2pm matinee, Wed 3rd October at the Globe. £5 groundling. I can't make it (well, that's actually not true... I've decided to see 3 Sisters at the YV instead, as I dislike the Globe. Once this year is enough for me)

Anyway, it's sold out at the Globe I believe, more expensive when in the WE....

#32 VDCNI

VDCNI

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:21 AM

Saw this last night, the poor groundlings if I were them I would have just left! A lot of them did but it was still about half full.

Very average I thought though better than the recent NT one at least. Rylance is excellent but only Barnett as Sebastian and Paul Chahidi as Maria come close to matching him and Sebastian is a relatively small part. Most of the rest of the cast are fine but are also pretty forgettable including Fry and Lloyd Pack is a pretty feeble Aguecheek. Like the NT one it has a huge hole in the centre of the play as Johnny Flynn is terrible as Viola and looks outclassed by the rest of the cast which is a problem when Viola is pretty much the only character to share scenes with the whole cast.

#33 young offender

young offender

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:51 AM

I saw the first performance of Twelfth Night (Sat 22nd)  - fortunately a clear if nippy evening. Quite a buzz about the place, especially as (I think) this was to be Stephen Fry’s first theatrical appearance since he walked from Cell Mates 17 years ago. Nervous anticipation as 7.30 comes and goes – has he done a runner? Phew, it’s starting.

With the National’s staid Peter/Rebecca Hall version my only other experience, it was a revelation to find that the play can be genuinely funny. The authentically Shakespearean all-male cast makes you wonder how it could be done any other way, particularly when it allows Mark Rylance to give us his Olivia. The woman is inherently absurd, and this must surely be the definitive version of ‘her’. Sliding around the stage as if on castors, dressed like Miss Havisham meets Elizabeth I, and channelling Lord Percy from Blackadder, Rylance proves once again that he’s the most magnetic stage actor of our lifetime.   Most of the others do excellent work too, particularly Paul Chahidi as a fruity and gimlet-eyed Maria, and Fry is fine as Malvolio. Two moments involving him and Rylance are among the most hysterical I have ever seen on stage. Johnny Flynn is not bad, but suffers in this company.

The running time is a challenge, especially for those standing. It was 10.50 before the final (rapturous) curtain call, and my legs were running out of steam from Sir Topaz onwards. With a bit of tightening they could trim 15 minutes, and it would indeed be ‘most wonderful’.

#34 Alexandra

Alexandra

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1779 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:08 AM

Cavendish liked it: http://www.telegraph..._medium=twitter

But young offender, whilst an all-male cast may be "authentically Shakespearean", casting middle aged men instead of boys is not.

#35 VDCNI

VDCNI

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:34 AM

Yes other than giving Rylance the part I really don't see what the all male staging adds to this at all particularly when Johnny Flynn is so poor.

#36 paplazaroo

paplazaroo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 11:50 AM

Does anyone know the globes policy on umbrellas? I'm going tomorrow night as a groundling and don't want to get soaked, on the other hand I don't want my view obscured by hundreds of umbrellas.

#37 VDCNI

VDCNI

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 11:51 AM

View Postpaplazaroo, on 24 September 2012 - 11:50 AM, said:

Does anyone know the globes policy on umbrellas? I'm going tomorrow night as a groundling and don't want to get soaked, on the other hand I don't want my view obscured by hundreds of umbrellas.

No one had an umbrella last night so I assume they are not allowed. Lots of rain coats, hoods and ponchos instead.

#38 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5140 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 12:10 PM

They usually hand out waterproof ponchos. I would wear a raincoat with a hood and then accept the poncho too! Best of luck

#39 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 01:56 PM

10:50? It's over three hours? Obviously Honoured Guest will be pleased but the rest of us would probably prefer our Shakespearian comedies to be enjoyable rather than challenging. Especially now Autumn has arrived with a vengeance.

And you definitely can't put an umbrella up.

#40 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3749 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 02:02 PM

That would be 3hrs 20mins, blimey. Even longer than the Peter Hall NT version....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users