Richard III & Twelfth Night (Rylance & Fry)

• Please log in to reply
121 replies to this topic

#41 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2522 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 02:16 PM

A bargain at £1.50 per hour. If you laugh like a drain, it'll work out even cheaper. Where else could you get soaked to the skin for so little?

#42 paplazaroo

paplazaroo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 02:18 PM

lol thanks for the umbrella clarification and advice everyone, look forward to typing my thoughts with prune like fingers

#43 young offender

young offender

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 02:22 PM

Yes, 3.20 including a 15 minute interval.

#44 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1238 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 02:27 PM

Is the omnipresent Stephen Fry any good in this ? He's not really an actor, is he, whenever he gets cast as anything other than himself (eg. in Gosford Park) he is wildly unconvincing - what's his take on Malvolio ?

#45 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 02:28 PM

Critic buys own ticket sensation!

#46 Alexandra

Alexandra

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1779 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 02:38 PM

He's better than I expected, Epicoene.Reins himself in quite nicely, whch is more than can be said for almost anyone else, though not all the darkness is there in him yet, which is partly due to the usual riotously-laughing-at-every-line-even-if-it's-not-funny Globe audience. I wanted to shout at them to shut the f*** up on occasion.  But there are some genuinely funny moments.  I only wish Sam Barnett had played Viola, on the evidence of his Queen Elizabeth in R3.

The superfluous 20 or 30 minutes all came in the first half. Lots of very, very slow reactions.

#47 VDCNI

VDCNI

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 03:02 PM

It started at 6:30pm and I was out just after 9:30pm so it was shorter last night but then I didn't stay for all of the jig.

Fry is fine, there's a bit when he's talking to Sir Toby where it feels like he's lecturing a panelist on QI but other than that he never appears out of place.

#48 peggs

peggs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 08:20 PM

I was rather surprised it was Johny Flynn rather than Samuel Barnet playing Viola, although didn't he get nominated for Jersusalem and I thought he was the weak link in that. That said I did like his Lady Anne in RIII, although now I come to think of it the best bit was when he in fact had no lines and Rylance was forecasting his/her death so perhaps that is not so good for Viola. Let's hope he grows into it.

#49 paplazaroo

paplazaroo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 09:35 AM

Saw this last night, really enjoyed it. Rylance and Fry are just hilarious in every scene they are in. Roger Lloyd Pack was brilliant as Aguecheek! Only thing I would change, except maybe switch Barnet and Flynn is the staging of the Topaz bit, you can't see Malvolio unless you have a clear view of centre stage, anyone around the sides missed Fry in this scene as his cage obscured the view - minor gripe though. What a joyous play!

#50 DanielWhit

DanielWhit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2293 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 11:22 AM

View PostHonoured Guest, on 24 September 2012 - 02:16 PM, said:

A bargain at £1.50 per hour. If you laugh like a drain, it'll work out even cheaper. Where else could you get soaked to the skin for so little?

Yorkshire?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users