Richard III & Twelfth Night (Rylance & Fry)

• Please log in to reply
121 replies to this topic

#61 RH1234

RH1234

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 06:49 AM

I'm afraid I can't. But if you can return it to the box office, it will definitely sell - there was a very long and desperate returns queue!

#62 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3742 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 08:09 AM

That's good to hear, thanks! I will make the effort to go down there.

#63 Kathryn2

Kathryn2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1244 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 05:58 PM

How wonderful to see such a hilarious production of Twelfth Night, having sat through Peter Hall's humour-free version last year. I really had the sense this afternoon that this play could have kept a crowd of rowdy Elizabethan apprentices entertained for three hours!

#64 Latecomer

Latecomer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1662 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:22 PM

Husband was most amused by the "Rylance glide"....."he's just like a dalek isn't he" :lol:

#65 Kathryn2

Kathryn2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1244 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 07:16 AM

I kept hearing descriptions of him 'moving on casters' and couldn't picture it, but it's hilarious when you see it. Probably not quite what old Will intended for Olivia, but it certainly worked!

#66 yallerybrown

yallerybrown

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 10:41 PM

Seeing this next week and CANNOT wait!! Apparently, it's very hard to believe that Rylance is the same guy who played Johnny Rooster Byron in Jerusalem, which I also loved.

#67 Nicholas

Nicholas

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 10:56 PM

View Postyallerybrown, on 08 October 2012 - 10:41 PM, said:

Seeing this next week and CANNOT wait!! Apparently, it's very hard to believe that Rylance is the same guy who played Johnny Rooster Byron in Jerusalem, which I also loved.
I've seen Mark Rylance half a dozen times, and every time I see him I think "He really can't do anything else now" and then the next time I see him he does!  He's amazing, as is the whole production.
On a sidenote, did anyone enjoy the Peter Hall production at the National last year even in the slightest?  I thought it was decent enough, if not superb or half as good as this one...

#68 peggs

peggs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 05:01 PM

Was really disappointed by this. I loved the donmar version from a few years back so I had pretty high standards but expected more than i got. I thought Johny Flynn just didn't work and if you don't care about Viola then the play sinks, she's one of my favourite Shakespeare characters and I missed  everything hear that I love. I suspect I would have preferred Samuel Barnett. It was interesting to See Mark Rylance's take on this, if only to see all that 'gliding' and to show how versitaile he is but it was enough. I thought Roger Pack was weak and Steven Fry was just too much Steven Fry. I liked )and without the programme to hand not sure who it was) Maria, I thought he probably was the best thing in it.

I usually enjoy the fact the plays at the globe are that little bit bigger due to audience participation etc but this felt too much, too much running around screaming, I wonder if they'll tone it down for the westend?

I'll acknowledge that i felt pretty awful yesterday which didn't help but all in all not one to remember.

Should perhaps mention my opinion would have been hugely in the minority, the crowd loved this and people were almost falling over themselves with laughter, just not for me.

#69 Latecomer

Latecomer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1662 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 06:44 PM

Strangely I would have liked to see Stephen Fry ham it up a bit more....he was a bit overshadowed by the rest for me. And I usually like Globe productions a bit more than this, I think they were trying so hard with the humour that they forgot we really have to see the relationships develop and care about them first. Ok but not unmissable, a nice day out but not spectacular.....but was also a bit meh about Richard III as a comedy!
:ph34r:

#70 peggs

peggs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:43 PM

yeah I think i agree Latecomer, too much emphasis on comedy and not characters. and why exactly did the twins have exactly the same hair, as in before viola was in disguise?

For anyone who saw the 2002 i think it was production how similar is this? Has rylance's performance changed at all?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users