Richard III & Twelfth Night (Rylance & Fry)

• Please log in to reply
121 replies to this topic

#71 peggs

peggs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:53 PM

how long has the globe been seating people in the gallery directly above the stage? I suppose it's close but the view can't be good.

#72 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2098 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 12:28 PM

Stage seats for the Apollo run have just gone on sale - 57.50
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#73 DanielWhit

DanielWhit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2293 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 10:45 PM

View Postpeggs, on 12 October 2012 - 08:53 PM, said:

how long has the globe been seating people in the gallery directly above the stage? I suppose it's close but the view can't be good.

I believe it's just for these Original Practice productions, as it's a seating position which was used in the original Globe days.

#74 peggs

peggs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 10:08 PM

oh I see, thanks

#75 Michael

Michael

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 12:32 AM

View PostDanielWhit, on 15 October 2012 - 10:45 PM, said:

I believe it's just for these Original Practice productions, as it's a seating position which was used in the original Globe days.
I've only seen those seats occupied in sold-out performances. The Globe may use them as standby seats.

In Taming of the Shrew, that appears to be where the "presenters" (Christopher Sly & Co) would have sat to watch and comment on the play: "The Presenters above speak".

By the way, did anyone notice whether any of the performances of Twelfth Night were being filmed for possible DVD release? There have been quite a few Globe DVDs, but none with Rylance, I think.

#76 Nicholas

Nicholas

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 01:18 PM

They were filming when I was at Twelfth Night, but heaven knows if they'll use it as it was raining very badly throughout.  I'd be interested to see if they rerecorded another night with better weather, or if the DVD will show the terrible weather or whether they'll just pack it in.

#77 DanielWhit

DanielWhit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2293 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 05:04 PM

View PostNicholas, on 17 October 2012 - 01:18 PM, said:

They were filming when I was at Twelfth Night, but heaven knows if they'll use it as it was raining very badly throughout.  I'd be interested to see if they rerecorded another night with better weather, or if the DVD will show the terrible weather or whether they'll just pack it in.

I doubt they'll pack it in, that production is bound to be one of their bigger earners. I guess it depends really on how well it came out, rain could add to atmosphere, but raincoats do not look very authentic and the sound may have taken a beating too.

I thought they always recorded at least two performances and then edited them together anyway?

#78 peggs

peggs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 09:47 PM

I think i've read a comment somewhere that one of the plays they released in cinema from last summer was a rain performance as it was sort of alluded to by gesture i assume so i'd guess unless it ruined the sound or something they'd stick with it. although yes if your other version was dry could be an editoring challenge

#79 Rooster Byron

Rooster Byron

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:24 AM

Has anyone seen this at the Apollo yet? Any news on what the stage seats are like?

#80 MrsDoyle

MrsDoyle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 09:54 PM

Going on Sunday. Somewhere in front stalls, will report back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users