Richard III & Twelfth Night (Rylance & Fry)

• Please log in to reply
121 replies to this topic

#81 MrsDoyle

MrsDoyle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 10:25 PM

Just back from matinee. Was in F which is fifth row in this.
Fabulous set of oak lined hall with two tiers of boxes on either side of stage holding sixteen people per box. Not a good seat if you intend to be late as two girls were.
Stage lit by real candle chandeliers.
Is Mark Rylance on castors?
Had at least three idiot laughers plus a phone going off directly behind me, (he got the look).
Costumes fabulous.
Stephen Fry much better than I expected.
Did I mention I love Mark Rylance?
See it.

#82 Michael

Michael

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:00 AM

Theatremonkey (http://www.theatremo...OLLObooking.htm) adds the following comments about the stage seats:

There are two wooden boxes, similar to the boxes of the Globe, one on either side of the stage. They seat sixteen (in two rows of eight) downstairs, and ten (in two rows) on top of the lower box. Seating is a wooden bench with a small cushion. The front rows up and downstairs have no back rest to them.

Seating is unreserved, so as people arrive they fill up the boxes. Unfortunately, not all views are equal, even though they're all priced at £55. In the upstairs seats, there is a six inch deep wooden beam that runs in front of them and (with the supporting woodwork) effectively limits the view of the stage to about half. In the row behind, the restriction of view is aggravated by the heads of those in the row in front trying to see over the beam…

I imagine the seats downstairs give a Donmar-esque intimacy, but the upstairs ones are pretty insufferable, especially for two 3 hour productions. I guess it does replicate the feel of seeing a play at the Globe: uncomfortable seats and terrible sight lines!

#83 drmaplewood

drmaplewood

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:14 AM

Day seated for Twelfth Night on Saturday, absolutely loved it. MrsDoyle has summed up my feelings really but loved being reacquainted with a play I'd not seen on stage for many years and the whole cast were superb.

#84 Rooster Byron

Rooster Byron

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:56 PM

So what are we saying with Stage Seats... get there early to make sure you're on the front row of a lower box? Or try get Stalls seats instead?

#85 MrsDoyle

MrsDoyle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 02:05 PM

If you sit in the front row of the lower tier you may well be involved (especially if you are on the left if staring at the stage) with holding props etc. Fun if you enjoy that but one lady looked a bit terrified.
Worth being on the stage though as when you go in the cast are sitting partially dressed having their make-up applied.

#86 Front Row Dress

Front Row Dress

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:32 PM

Mark Rylance is in serious danger of joining Stephen Fry in national treasure status. He truly is a wonder. I've only seen Twelfth Night so far, don't get to Richard III until next year, but it is tremendous, riotously good fun with faultless performances all round. Raved a wee bit on my blog, but not much as I've been too busy earning a crust. http://www.frontrowd...-sunday-18.html
www.frontrowdress.com

#87 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3756 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:46 PM

Dull question: is the programme shared for RIII and 12N, or are there two different ones?

#88 Front Row Dress

Front Row Dress

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:15 PM

Shared programme, £3.50 I think.
www.frontrowdress.com

#89 KevinUK

KevinUK

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:45 PM

How easy is it to get day seats on a Saturday do we think?
If I stay awake, it must be good.

#90 DanielWhit

DanielWhit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2293 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:47 PM

View PostFront Row Dress, on 19 November 2012 - 05:32 PM, said:

Mark Rylance is in serious danger of joining Stephen Fry in national treasure status.

I would say he's never going to get anywhere near the same status, to be completely honest. Fry has been known nationally since he was in his twenties in the mainstream, Rylance equally however in a small core. I bet less than 10% of people in the street would be able to say anything about Rylance ("who?" would be the most common reply), whereas most would have at least some idea who Fry is.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users