Richard III & Twelfth Night (Rylance & Fry)

• Please log in to reply
121 replies to this topic

#91 Jamiem

Jamiem

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:42 AM

View PostDanielWhit, on 19 November 2012 - 11:47 PM, said:

I would say he's never going to get anywhere near the same status, to be completely honest. Fry has been known nationally since he was in his twenties in the mainstream, Rylance equally however in a small core. I bet less than 10% of people in the street would be able to say anything about Rylance ("who?" would be the most common reply), whereas most would have at least some idea who Fry is.
Mark Rylance is the most exciting stage actor in the world, in time that might filter thru, you never know mr wit

#92 vegas

vegas

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:35 AM

I live in the U.S., and I crossed the pond last week just to see Mark Rylance.  I saw both of the plays twice, and would not have minded a third time.  Stephen Fry was a terrific lagniappe, but Rylance is my favorite stage actor of all time.  (I also saw Jerusalem and La Bete twice.)

#93 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1240 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:46 AM

View PostDanielWhit, on 19 November 2012 - 11:47 PM, said:

....  most would have at least some idea who Fry is.

Oh I think you do him a disservice, I'm sure 100% of the population would be able to identify the omnipresent Fry who is rarely off our screen beit in his role as unofficial ambassador for Apple (known for their leading-edge tax avoidance technology), showing us his holiday films (Stephen Fry in America), literally phoning his performance in when someone else trails round the world looking at animals (Last Chance to See),  amusing us with his limited range of cock jokes week after week on QI, likewise gracing the BBC radio airwaves with his relaxed performance on Just A Minute and I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue , enlightening us with deeply moving documentaries (and follow-up books and articles,) on his illnesses and ancestors, and his Wagner scholarship, and the English language (Fry's English Delight), not to mention his history of music (a challengingly broad subject !) on Classic FM,  his landmark audiobook work narrating the entire Harry Potter oeuvre not to mention his appearances in the eponymous films, his complete sell-out at the Royal Albert Hall as a self-proclaimed stand-up comedian, his fine work in kindly bringing to our attention many fine products from the likes of Marks and Spencer, Twinings, Kenco, Vauxhall, Honda, Direct Line, Calpol, Heineken, Alliance & Leicester, After Eights, Trebor, Panama cigars, Virgin Media and Orange Mobile, his several amusing novels which entertained many newspaper reviewers, his staunch and trenchant political campaigning in the gay rights arena, and against organised religion (Christian variety), his brilliant self-help guide to writing poetry written without the burden of having written any notable poetry himself (too busy to get around to it I expect), his numerous and richly-deserved awards (Most Intelligent Man On on Television as voted for by the Radio Times, not to mention Pipe Smoker of the Year, and the BBC's 6th Top Living Icon (2006)), not to mention his position as the most popular Twitter user in the country (1,000,000 followers), along with many many many many many other achievments which are literally too numerous to mention. And now, after a little hiccup the last time, he chooses to favour us with a stage appearance. Truly we are blessed.

His agent is his sister, which is not surprising as all she needs to do is pick up the phone and say "yes".

#94 Alexandra

Alexandra

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1779 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:43 AM

:lol:  So bitter, Epi. You could almost be an unsuccessful poet yourself.

#95 drmaplewood

drmaplewood

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:06 AM

View PostKevinUK, on 19 November 2012 - 10:45 PM, said:

How easy is it to get day seats on a Saturday do we think?

Day seated a couple of Saturday ago, arrived at 9am and was 4th in line for a two-show day. Reviews are coming out now so may get busier.

#96 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1240 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:48 AM

View PostAlexandra, on 20 November 2012 - 08:43 AM, said:

:lol:  So bitter, Epi. You could almost be an unsuccessful poet yourself.

Yes. Why oh why oh why do we sneer at success in this country ? Why do we build people up only to knock them down again ? Why are we so envious of people who have made money ? My carping criticism says more about me than about him doesn't it ?

One thing I didn't know about him - and you can see that is saying something - is that he appears in the OED as the earliest known user of the term "luvvie" to describe an actor, which I'd say was quite ironic (if I didn't know what ironic actually meant).

#97 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2541 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:52 AM

View PostEpicoene, on 20 November 2012 - 07:46 AM, said:

along with many many many many many others achievments which are literally too numerous to mention.

Don't forget his criminal record.

#98 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1240 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:24 AM

View PostHonoured Guest, on 20 November 2012 - 10:52 AM, said:

Don't forget his criminal record.

Harsh. I thought Kate Bush's "50 Words For Snow" was quite good despite his participation.

#99 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5146 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:28 PM

Epi: yes, yes, yes. Getting overexcited. It was the poetry book that amazed me too.

#100 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1240 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:00 PM

View PostLynette, on 20 November 2012 - 02:28 PM, said:

Epi: yes, yes, yes. Getting overexcited.

I often have that effect on people. Well, not often. 1972 was the last time I think.  

There's a glib little saying about Fry which nevertheless contains a grain of truth; he's a stupid person's idea of what an intelligent person is like.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users