• This topic is locked This topic is locked
118 replies to this topic

#91 Piglet

Piglet

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 03:40 PM

AntonyHope it is not naive in the extreme to expect understudies to be prepared before they go into rehearsal. In my experience it is common practice apart from, apparently, Equus. You work like you do on TV, even if the script is constantly changing, the blocking has been altered and the directo suddely decides to stage it in the round you keep an eye open for what's going on and roll with the punches. It is grossly incompetent and complacent of any producers not to insist upon this - every producer and direcot I've worked with has

#92 Laughingmonsta

Laughingmonsta

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2424 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 05:04 PM

QUOTE(Piglet @ Mar 8 2007, 03:40 PM) View Post
AntonyHope it is not naive in the extreme to expect understudies to be prepared before they go into rehearsal. In my experience it is common practice apart from, apparently, Equus. You work like you do on TV, even if the script is constantly changing, the blocking has been altered and the directo suddely decides to stage it in the round you keep an eye open for what's going on and roll with the punches. It is grossly incompetent and complacent of any producers not to insist upon this - every producer and direcot I've worked with has

have to say this is my experience too, when ive done tv, ive had line changes thrown at me at extreme last minute and the blocking changed completely before filming and guess what you have to get on and do it!!!

This is my street, I smile at the faces I've known all my life, They regard me with pride.

#93 foxa

foxa

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • Interests:Theatre (obviously), film, books, walking

Posted 08 March 2007 - 07:16 PM

Thank you, Moose.

I also don't think it is naive in the extreme.  To not have a reasonably ready understudy from the first night seems rather like having holiday insurance that only kicks in well into your holiday!
I have seen some excellent understudies go on under extremely difficult circumstances (when I saw Cory English, which was very early in the run, it didn't even look like the costumes fit him!) and they didn't have to read the part.

Though in the recent As You Like It, wasn't Helen McCrory's understudy unprepared, so Sienna Miller did Rosalind instead?

#94 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 09:18 PM

Why is it naive to think that if you pay 50 to see a show, you will see actors who have attended rehearsals and know their lines?

#95 Guest_Skylight_*

Guest_Skylight_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2007 - 12:03 AM

Has anyone seen the later shows without Griffiths?  Is is better now the understudy has had more time?

#96 Carrie

Carrie

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 03:39 AM

I saw Equus tonight without Griffiths, and I thought the understudy did an excellent job! He was comfortable on stage, fluffed one or two lines, but it was hardly noticeable as he covered his tracks well and was confident. No doctors notes disguised as scripts... I was a bit worried from what I've read on here, but it was well worth my 50 ticket!

#97 Mila

Mila

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 02:51 PM

I saw Equus last Wednesday (7th, 7.30pm), and I thought Colin Haigh was most convincing. I think he portrayed Dysart very well - he gave a very emotionally engaging performance, imho, and it certainly affected me. The opening monologue was a little 'unassured' wink.gif and I was really afraid he wouldn't hold it together, but he did. I didn't think there was any problem with the blocking, either - the fluidity of movement of the actors was perfect as far as I could see.

I don't care for either Richard Griffiths or Daniel Radcliffe particularly - they're just actors, and should be as professionally competent as any others to handle these roles. All I want is to pay my 50 and see a good play, whoever is playing Dysart, and I feel I got value for money.

(For reasons of pure curiosity, I would probably like to see Richard Griffiths at some later stage, just to see how he would handle this role, but I feel in no way 'hard done by' in having been given the pleasure of seeing Colin Haigh in one of the major roles. I've come to the conclusion that he's wasted as Dalton - he may even be better than Griffiths, but I've no comparision as yet!)

Having said all that, I would certainly have been disgusted to see Haigh as unprepared as he is reputed to have been the other night - there is no excuse for not being largely prepared with respect to the script - with the possible exception of any minor last minute modifications, of course. I agree largely with people who say the performance should have been cancelled, rather than allow someone so unprepared to 'wing it' - this is a completely unprofessional position for a supposedly professional company to take. I would definitely have demanded a refund, or tickets to a future show (regardless of which actor had the role that night!), as in my opinion, the product did not fit the description.

I'm sorry people have been disappointed, but future patrons will still see a great Dysart in Haigh - even if Griffiths was unfortunately their inital draw.

#98 Blue

Blue

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 10:33 AM

There is no doubt that Colin is a great actor. But what is shocking is the fact that they sent him on so unprepared.

#99 JWC

JWC

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 11:03 AM

Which is what I've been saying all along. Anybody know whether RG is now well and back in the run?

#100 curzon

curzon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 02:39 PM

QUOTE(JWC @ Mar 10 2007, 11:03 AM) View Post
Which is what I've been saying all along. Anybody know whether RG is now well and back i n the run?
I hope he's back by this Saturday....not that I'm being selfish or anything... wink.gif

Sebastian

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users